Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
SEATAC Bus Gate Wiki.

What bus gates have you flown out of on AS?

AS792 SEA-DTW 4-9-19 D22
AS32 SEA-PHL 6-11-19 D26
AS1692 SEA-CMH 8-22-19 D26
AS1420 SEA-BNA 2-4-20 D26
Print Wikipost

SeaTac (SEA) Bus Gates

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
SeaTac (SEA) Bus Gates

Kiro 7 reports that Seatac will be introducing bus gates "beginning next year". http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/sea-...-planes/npCPL/

Not much depth in the story or video report, but apparently POS already has 3 buses on site that they've been testing. We'll see what happens I guess
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Oh boy. Barrel of monkeys, those folks at the POS are.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:08 am

sounds like DL is probably going to be the carrier using the bus gates primarily.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:37 am

I've seen Southwest hardstand a inbound flight a couple of times at cargo seven around a month ago. The bus dropped them off at gate A6. I think this was a combination of testing/practice and the loss of gate B14 while taxilane construction was ongoing.

Alaska/Horizon will likely need to use them when the North Satellite extension begins. They will probably lose about six gates while construction is ongoing.

Unless the local economy tanks its something to get used to for the next decade.
http://www.portseattle.org/About/Com...RM_7a_supp.pdf
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Bus Gates, if they are done well, don't have to be bad. Ideally the bus gate area is close to the main terminal and has escalators to make it easy for wheeled luggage. So you trade off the bus ride for the walk down the concourse. If done really well, the hard stands have an escalator and jetbridge, though mobile stairs are certainly more typical.

If done poorly the bus gates are a pain to get to and you have carry your stuff down stairs.

Wonder which the Port will provide? One benefit of more intensive use of bus gates is that the gates can be closer together and less walking for connecting passengers. Quite a few international airports are intentionally designed with a large number of hard stands and bus gates. It really can work OK.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by seacarl
Bus Gates, if they are done well
Please cite any US implementations where they have been done well.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There goes the MCT. And if you're in F, you could already be in the BR or at the next gate while still awaiting the bus to fill.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:19 pm

Uggh. I've been to LOTS of international airports with bus gates (in OTP, all domestic flights are bus gates). They're always a massive failure. The closest I've come to an acceptable bus gate is in LAX, where they have actual jet bridges and a sort of mini terminal (north of TBIT). Even then, however, it's a massive waste of time.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Never found a bus gate that works well.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
(in OTP, all domestic flights are bus gates)
Woah, someone else on the AS forum has visited OTP!?

Neil
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Agree with that.

You and the rest of the cattle have to wait until the bus is full. Then wait while the driver decides he wants to leave.

Some similar goat rodeos:
Those terrible shuttles from one terminal to the main terminal at Dulles.
The now closed remote terminal at Cincinnati that served Delta/Comair flights. I hated that so much.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Woah, someone else on the AS forum has visited OTP!?

Neil
20+ times. I'll be back this coming week.

For bonus points, have you been to TSR and OMR (or ARW -- but no commercial service there, you have to flip a friendly local a few hundred RON to run you there in their C172)?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Here Here
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Even the EK F bus leaves something to be desired. Although remote stands can allow for some exciting tarmac views.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Even the EK F bus leaves something to be desired. Although remote stands can allow for some exciting tarmac views.
Just connect in LHR. You'll get all the tarmac views your heart desires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.