Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Never flown Alaska...do they use airbus planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never flown Alaska...do they use airbus planes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ou81two
If you got that reaction from the cycling community here, you likely deserved it. Driving in to the turn lane and not yielding since you were the overtaking vehicle is probably why you got kicked. Nobody does something like that here for no reason.

Sometimes you're not just got a good enough driver to know what you've done wrong.
That's absolutely false and you know it.

I have seen cars kicked simply for committing the egregious infraction of stopping at a stop sign in Seattle. Whether you admit it or not, there is a section of militant cyclists here that think the rules of the road do not apply to them (unless it's in their own advantage), and any car driver is an evil, evil person who must be punished.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Sounder
That's absolutely false and you know it.

I have seen cars kicked simply for committing the egregious infraction of stopping at a stop sign in Seattle. Whether you admit it or not, there is a section of militant cyclists here that think the rules of the road do not apply to them (unless it's in their own advantage), and any car driver is an evil, evil person who must be punished.
On what planet does anyone even defend kicking a car? I don't care what the driver did, you don't get to kick their car. Just like the driver doesn't get to tap your bike if you cut him off. I'm fine with sharing the road, but cyclists need to obey the same traffic laws as vehicles if we're to do that. Otherwise it's just going to be dangerous.

Back on topic: Maybe OP is interested in the slightly wider seats in Airbus narrowbodies? Personally, I want to know where the E75s are flying and sit on those. They are my absolute favorite aircraft for domestic coach flights.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, HHonnors, Marriott, Hertz Gold, Enterprise Plus
Not so sure

Originally Posted by ou81two
If you got that reaction from the cycling community here, you likely deserved it. Driving in to the turn lane and not yielding since you were the overtaking vehicle is probably why you got kicked. Nobody does something like that here for no reason.

Sometimes you're not just got a good enough driver to know what you've done wrong.
I've quit driving in the city and walk most everywhere, except SeaTac. Cyclists are worse at trying to run me over than any car ever is. They are also very rude about it. If I have a walk sign, I walk, sorry you're running a red light 15 seconds after it changed.

Back on track, after flying WN, DL, AA and F9 in the last 12 months, I've realized why I fly AS 90% of the time. @AlaskaAir #Rocks compared to the rest.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, HHonnors, Marriott, Hertz Gold, Enterprise Plus
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Ah, Seattle's entitled, self-righteous cyclists, free to do whatever they want, obeying no traffic laws, using no common sense, and being utterly smug about it no matter the facts. Of course, all cyclists are completely virtuous, so they can do no wrong. All vehicle drivers are evil, so whatever is done to them is deserved. Always. What a shock.
Agree 1000%
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This is quite an interesting thread.

The OP starts out with a somewhat vague question. Okay, the question is not bad, but a bit more detail would have helped the OP get better answers.

The biggest help came in post #39 when the OP mentions he only flies First Class. Makes a BIG difference in the answers. And of course, the seats are CARRIER selected as discussed often here.

Meanwhile, the topic starts wondering into other flying issues and even riding bikes in Seattle.

Meanwhile, the original question has really not been solved. I am guessing the OP wanted to know what the first class seats seatup was, in particular the armrest between seats.

As to this thread, well...
Wow. Just wow!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

In other words...a regular thread in the AS forum
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
scroll to the right and read the words painted on every Alaska mainline jet:

Having never flown Alaska, I had no idea, but thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
This is quite an interesting thread.

The OP starts out with a somewhat vague question. Okay, the question is not bad, but a bit more detail would have helped the OP get better answers.

The biggest help came in post #39 when the OP mentions he only flies First Class. Makes a BIG difference in the answers. And of course, the seats are CARRIER selected as discussed often here.

Meanwhile, the topic starts wondering into other flying issues and even riding bikes in Seattle.

Meanwhile, the original question has really not been solved. I am guessing the OP wanted to know what the first class seats seatup was, in particular the armrest between seats.

As to this thread, well...
Wow. Just wow!
Sorry if my question was vague, I asked if Alaska flies Airbus planes...but I didn't think that was vague. My reasons why weren't originally stated, so yes that part was vague, oops.
I am a female, also I am disabled so I like room and early access on the plane so I always fly in first and having never flown this airline I had questions on the setup. I googled images of the planes but the results were somewhat all over the map, thus why I asked. I like the space between seats (the large center console armrest), why? Well because I have CP, and sometimes I shake a little and I don't want to disturb my seat mate if my body decides to make me look like I just chased down 50 cups of coffee. So i think I have a valid reason...lol. You wouldn't want to sit right up against someone if they were twitching and shaking, would you? Odds are I'll be fine to the point nothing will happen, but I can't count on my body to cooperate so to be on the safe side I like a buffer zone.
And yeah, bikes and traffic, I never would have seen that one coming out of the thread I started!
Thank you all for your help! Next time I'll google the actual plane numbers instead of plane images so I know what type of plane I'm dealing with. My plan is to try out every domestic airline...not that there are a ton flying SFO to SEA but there's a small variety.

Last edited by wmweeza; Oct 2, 2015 at 11:20 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by wmweeza
... I like the space between seats (the large center console armrest), why? Well because I have CP, and sometimes I shake a little and I don't want to disturb my seat mate if my body decides to make me look like I just chased down 50 cups of coffee. ..

Very valid reason. Folks here would have been more able to help knowing just a bit more.

But... still a bit confusing. Some would consider the "large center console" as a shared armrest. If that is what works for you, I think that is more the norm on most planes. I have flown a fair amount of first class and they seem to the norm. Actual "space" between the seats - well not sure if I have ever seen that.

A quick google of Alaska Air seats shows you should be fine. Nothing to do with the maker of the plane.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alas...QXQA1IUO8j4%3D
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:30 pm

A quick google of Alaska Air seats shows you should be fine. Nothing to do with the maker of the plane.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alas...QXQA1IUO8j4%3D
That link is for the B/E Aerospace Spectrum seats found on the -400 and -700's

This one is for Recaro seats found on the -900, -900ER and -800's.
https://www.google.com/search?q=alas...AngmtvF8ciM%3A
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Very valid reason. Folks here would have been more able to help knowing just a bit more.

But... still a bit confusing. Some would consider the "large center console" as a shared armrest. If that is what works for you, I think that is more the norm on most planes. I have flown a fair amount of first class and they seem to the norm. Actual "space" between the seats - well not sure if I have ever seen that.

lol, no I didn't mean space as in dead air space with nothing there! I meant the larger armrests I guess, but I called it a console because on United airbus (and some others) it's two armrests with a large center console...or I suppose shared drink area attached, so it's more then an armrest. I only asked because in my search for seat info I found varying answers on varying flights and airlines (such as Virgin America has 2 armrest but no center drink area table thing) and having only ever flown United that is my frame of reference. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Thank you all for the help

Last edited by wmweeza; Oct 10, 2015 at 2:17 am
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
FYI I actually thought about this thread... the 73G I flew last night had space for two glasses on top of the console, and a pull out tray with space for two more glasses. These are the older seats however.
http://patstravelreviews.com/wp-cont...0/IMG_3606.jpg

The newer F seats have a larger space on top of the console, and still has a pull out tray for additional surface area.
http://www.sanspotter.com/wp-content..._report_17.jpg

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
FYI I actually thought about this thread... the 73G I flew last night had space for two glasses on top of the console, and a pull out tray with space for two more glasses. These are the older seats however.
http://patstravelreviews.com/wp-cont...0/IMG_3606.jpg

The newer F seats have a larger space on top of the console, and still has a pull out tray for additional surface area.
http://www.sanspotter.com/wp-content..._report_17.jpg

Hope that helps.
It turns out I'm flying a 737-400 out and a 734-900 back home...I think I'll be fine. Funny you thought of this! I had to ask though since I couldn't find an answer before in a web search and I was pretty sure FT would know.
It feels weird to call the center area like that an armrest since it's more like a center area console in a car, that's what my car manufacturer calls it...hmm.
Thanks
Excited to try out Alaska Airlines!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Seat width is far superior on Airbus narrowbodies than Boeing. Other than that, it's airline-dependent.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Seat width is far superior on Airbus narrowbodies than Boeing. Other than that, it's airline-dependent.
"Far superior" meaning that the fuselage is about one dollar bill's width larger in diameter, so you get about a half-inch to an inch of additional seat width in coach.

http://www.dimensionsinfo.com/airbus-a320-capacity/

The fuselage width is 3.95 m (13 ft 0 in).
http://www.dimensionsinfo.com/boeing-737-dimensions/

Its fuselage width is 12 ft 4 in (equal to 3.8 m)
Generally this doesn't mean much in first class (where the OP wants to sit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.