Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean (KE) Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Korean (KE) Award Availability

No matter what dates I use Korean no longer comes up as an option although there are plenty of seats available. Has this occurred in the past where Korean has removed its entire inventory (only to open it back up later)?

Last edited by jbutters; Jul 23, 2015 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
With KE there are many, many blackout periods.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
How do you know that there are plenty of seats available? Are you looking for a specific city pair? How far out are you looking?

It is true that KE has a slew of blackout dates for AS redeemers, (check the partner page) but outside of those, I've always been able to find seats far enough in advance (last KE trip was booked about 4 months out) when looking of a KE option.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm very mindful of the blackout dates as I already booked a flight. I need to change by a day or two and started looking up alternate flights. I am looking at Oct 8 or the 12th just outside the blackout period. When I go onto the site now for YVR to ICN nothing comes up no matter what date I put in there (route occurs about 5 days out of the week). I checked expert flyer and the business class is empty except for the seats I reserved. I called KE and they have award seats but just not for Alaska.

Just seems real strange to me that all of a sudden all of the KE options have vanished regardless of date. I have checked up to 6 months out and called Alaska and nothing comes up.

Last edited by jbutters; Jul 24, 2015 at 10:34 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jbutters
I'm very mindful of the blackout dates as I already booked a flight. I need to change by a day or two and started looking up alternate flights. I am looking at Oct 8 or the 12th just outside the blackout period. When I go onto the site now for YVR to ICN nothing comes up no matter what date I put in there (route occurs about 5 days out of the week). I checked expert flyer and the business class is empty except for the seats I reserved. I called KE and they have award seats but just not for Alaska.

Just seems real strange to me that all of a sudden all of the KE options have vanished regardless of date. I have checked up to 6 months out and called Alaska and nothing comes up.
The number of seats sold or not sold doesn't determine whether space should be available or not. KE space has always been hard to find, i dont know how you say you saw a ton of space previously because i rarely ever see space outside of Y. Like you found most airlines keep more space avialable to members of their own program than partners, just like only AS saver awards are avilable to partners.

Have you checked the delta site to see of space is available to them for the non-stop flight? usually the same space is avilable to AS members.
buschoi likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:26 am
Community Director Emerita

I found award space on Korean that included a flight from ICN to TAS (Tashkent, Uzbekistan). I called AS to see if I could redeem. AS said that the flight from ICN to TAS was on Uzbekistan Airways and thus was not able to be booked with AS. I subsequently moved Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Korean and booked the itinerary with no problem. The flight between ICN and TAS might be a codeshare but is operated with Korean metal.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know if KE does release J/F seats closer to the date of departure (similar to JAL at the T-14 day mark)? I'm wondering if I should just book the available Y award now and just keep checking back to see if J/F is released later. Wondering if anyone has had success with this specifically with KE and if so, around how far out did you have luck with this? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.