Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hour& 40 minutes enough time to transit at YVR: BA to AS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Arrive at 6:40 PM YVR ( BA)

Want to connect to the last AS flight to SEA at 8:30 PM

Enough time? Or should I stay the night at YVR and fly out first thing in the morning?

Thanks
Old May 23, 2015, 5:40 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Would this be one ticket or two? If it's a single ticket I'd try for it (since you'd be protected on the next flight out the following day) but if it's two separate tickets I think it's too tight - from other threads it looks like you'd have to go through both Canadian and U.S. customs in that time, which seems unlikely to be a successful endeavor.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:24 pm

With global entry or nexus it can be done.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
YVR MCT

Looks like you'll be OK

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 1.30 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .45 1.30 1.30 1.30
Old May 23, 2015, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Without Global Entry, tight but doable.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by tonei
Would this be one ticket or two? If it's a single ticket I'd try for it (since you'd be protected on the next flight out the following day) but if it's two separate tickets I think it's too tight - from other threads it looks like you'd have to go through both Canadian and U.S. customs in that time, which seems unlikely to be a successful endeavor.
Are you certain about the customs issue? When I arrived at YVR from NRT connecting onward to the US, I followed signs directing me straight to US preclearance area. I did NOT go through Canadian customs.

If OP tries this on one ticket, he has nothing to lose in the event he misses the last outbound AS flight (although I would avoid this during holidays as subsequent flights may be sold out) since AS would reaccommodate him the following day.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Totoro
Are you certain about the customs issue? When I arrived at YVR from NRT connecting onward to the US, I followed signs directing me straight to US preclearance area. I did NOT go through Canadian customs.
It's the time of day. The transit facility to bypass Canadian immigration is open only between 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM, and his flight lands just after that at 6:40.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
For several years I regularly took the BA LHR-YVR flight instead of the SEA one because it gave me some extra time to work in the office in London before heading home. I was rarely able to get this to work. The problem was that you have to clear Canada immigration, grab your bags and recheck up stairs at the Alaska desk. I once got someone at the Alaska baggage desk down in baggage claim to call upstairs and have someone stick around to take my bag, but with checked bags this was generally not doable. With carry on only and NEXUS, it's definitely doable.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Totoro

If OP tries this on one ticket, he has nothing to lose in the event he misses the last outbound AS flight (although I would avoid this during holidays as subsequent flights may be sold out) since AS would reaccommodate him the following day.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/...rough-YVR.aspx

depending the arriving and the departing airline, one might need to clear both customs and exit the secured area with his checked baggage.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Kieron
It's the time of day. The transit facility to bypass Canadian immigration is open only between 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM, and his flight lands just after that at 6:40.
Are you sure about those times? According to:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/...rough-YVR.aspx

Option 1: For passengers arriving between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. local-time...
Proceed to International Transit Facility
Old May 24, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks all for the replies.

This is on an award ticket BA F from LHR.

I tend to be a nervous traveler and would spend most of the flight from London worrying if I was going to make make my connection based on some of the responses here. I think I would opt to stop in YVR for the night and head to Seattle in the next morning.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by david4455
Thanks all for the replies.

This is on an award ticket BA F from LHR.

I tend to be a nervous traveler and would spend most of the flight from London worrying if I was going to make make my connection based on some of the responses here. I think I would opt to stop in YVR for the night and head to Seattle in the next morning.
If you are going to overnight in YVR you could take the train to Seattle. Of course if the BA award will cover the YVR-SEA leg then nevermind.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Are you sure about those times? According to:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/...rough-YVR.aspx

the arrival time is irrelevant in OP's case, for a BA to AS transfer, according to the link that i've provided, he has to clear canadian custom 1st and exit the secured area with his checked baggage and drop off his bag at the check in counter before proceeding for security check and us preclearance.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Those are the hours for bypassing CBSA on a US to International connection, not International to US. (Why are they so different? I have no idea.)
Old May 24, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If it's one ticket, just do it.

If you get stuck in YVR, BA will possibly cover the hotel for their F pax, even if it's not their fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.