Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska adding premium economy seats?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Alaska adding premium economy seats?

Saw this post this morning (not my blog).

http://travelskills.com/2015/04/25/a...economy-seats/

In the middle of May, Alaska Airlines will reportedly start marketing extra-legroom coach seats — i.e., those in bulkhead and exit rows — as a premium economy product.

Besides the 7 to 8 inches of extra legroom, passengers in these “preferred seating” rows will also get free drinks and priority boarding. (It sounds a lot like Virgin America’s Main Cabin Select product to us- without the free food.)

Mileage Plan elites will get first crack at reserving the seats for no fee; seats still available at check-in will be sold to anyone for a fee that varies by distance, said to range from $15 to $50.

Although the plan requires no reconfiguration of the cabin, officials said the concept could be expanded if it tests well.
The author doesn't list their source. It doesn't really seem like something Alaska would do; their only options would be exit rows and row 6.

Anyone else heard this rumor?

EDIT: The post does link to the source (I just missed it) -- http://kuow.org/post/alaska-airlines...conomy-seating

KUOW is Seattle's NPR station and is reliable; I'm guessing this is going to happen.

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Apr 25, 2015 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Saw this post this morning (not my blog).

http://travelskills.com/2015/04/25/a...economy-seats/

The author doesn't list their source. It doesn't really seem like something Alaska would do; their only options would be exit rows and row 6.

Anyone else heard this rumor?

EDIT: The post does link to the source (I just missed it) -- http://kuow.org/post/alaska-airlines...conomy-seating

KUOW is Seattle's NPR station and is reliable; I'm guessing this is going to happen.
It's happening.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-e-coming.html
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I thought it already happened. Have they not started charging yet?

To OP, AS is not adding an economy pus. Just monetizing the exiting seats and adding a free drink.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:12 pm

Bulk Head Seats

Some of Alaska's bulk head seats actually have less leg room! You couldn't pay me to sit in the bulk head, even some in first class.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
*we* know that but the common traveler does not.

The cost so far has been released at $15 for flights under 1,000 miles, which sounds a little low to me. And it appears from the conference call it would be on 737-800/900s.

I hope, as an MVPG75K, that they limit the # of preferred seats bookable in advance or make it for sale during the check-in process. Since we don't have a Y+ area, we tend to flock to 6, 16, and 17 first.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Sydneyjb
Some of Alaska's bulk head seats actually have less leg room! You couldn't pay me to sit in the bulk head, even some in first class.
Is there an official list for which aircraft have soft bulkhead wall with extra legroom and which have a hard wall?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
KUOW (NPR station in Seattle area) has an article about this, accessible through Facebook) in that article they clarified that the seats are only row 6, 16, and 17, and they also said AS elites can choose them for free.

http://www.tinyurl.com/kto6hpl
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Is there an official list for which aircraft have soft bulkhead wall with extra legroom and which have a hard wall?
All 400's have the hard bulkhead.
All NG's now have a soft divider.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yep, this is old news now....and probably belongs in the previously mentioned E+ thread.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I agree on those bulkhead seats. Nothing like staring at a wall for several hours.

Really doesn't compare to a real premium economy sections as found on other carriers. Just another way to raise some revenue
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I was on PHL-SEA last night in row 16 (exit, no recline). Before pushback the GA came back to speak to the woman behind me in 17C (exit, recline). She said a guy in the first / bulkhead row of F wanted to switch with someone in a row 17 aisle seat because he had long legs. She disappeared up front and he came back very happy. On a six-hour leg, comfort is more important than free food and booze.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:45 pm

legroom in row 6 on all -800's and -900's rivals that of the exit row seats and is more generous than First Class legroom.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
legroom in row 6 on all -800's and -900's rivals that of the exit row seats and is more generous than First Class legroom.
Shhhhh!! Its a Secret Yes I almost gave up F for Bulkhead too
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So if you're a Gold sitting in an exit row will you now get two drinks?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I hope, as an MVPG75K, that they limit the # of preferred seats bookable in advance or make it for sale during the check-in process. Since we don't have a Y+ area, we tend to flock to 6, 16, and 17 first.
No worries there, it won't be bookable at all in advance to non-elites.

Only during the check-in window will any unreserved seats in 6, 16, and 17 be bundled with a drink and pre-boarding and made available to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.