Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

F pax requesting Y meals: Don't have to wait anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F pax requesting Y meals: Don't have to wait anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:05 am
IJK

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
A single data point -- on my recent ANC-SEA flight at least 3 of us in F requested cheese plates from Y instead of the pasta dish that was on the lunch menu. We received the box on our meal trays at the same time everyone else was being served. Cloth napkins & silverware were also on the trays.

I'm 75K and wasn't charged for the meal. I don't recall seeing the FA using the credit card scanner at any time. The other folks were scattered around the cabin, so I have no idea whether they were upgraded elite flyers, traveling on award tickets, or if they were in paid F seats.
Another data point - - on a recent West Coast flight, an FA came up with an armful of cheeseburgers
immediately after taking drink and meal orders, even prior to F beverage service. My guess was at least four of them, and nobody was charged. I even had the gnocchi as well.

I didn't hear, but the F FA may have mentioned the option to those in the first row, and then
it snowballed from there. Guess the customers voted with their palates on the desirableness
of the F offerings.

Maybe AS should load half and half for F, and not take away from Y pax?

Yes, it would make it a bit more expensive to offer F pax a choice, but as noted elsewhere,
frequent flyers get tired of the same one item for a whole month, in both directions, and on
many routes.

Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:07 pm

Free Lunch in Coach for Million Miler

Slightly off topic, but I was offered anything I wanted off the food cart in coach this week. The FA said they "wanted to be nicer" to million mile flyers. That was a first for me.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Got a wedge salad last week SEA-SNA... and offered a wedge salad again today SNA-SEA. Double catering?

I was sitting in 4F so was the last person to talk to the FA. I said I would prefer to have the cheeseburger please, and upon hearing this 4D jumps in with, "Oh, I'd like one too!"

It was great. Now that I think about it though, perhaps I should have politely asked if still getting the wedge salad would still be possible, so I could totally outfit the burger with lettuce, tomato, and bacon.

Mmm... bacon cheeseburger...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ragtop
Slightly off topic, but I was offered anything I wanted off the food cart in coach this week. The FA said they "wanted to be nicer" to million mile flyers. That was a first for me.
Thanks for reporting. Good move if it holds ^

There are a couple other MM'ers who I'm sure will be reporting back as they travel.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for reporting. Good move if it holds ^

There are a couple other MM'ers who I'm sure will be reporting back as they travel.
This is a very new change. The Million Milers are able to select one complimentary food item.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I look forward to availing myself of this perk in about a month! ^
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This is a very new change. The Million Milers are able to select one complimentary food item.
That is a great addition. Good on AS ^
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Been a long time since I was even acknowledged as a MM so this will be interesting.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:15 am

Just to reiterate the policy. You can have both if you want to purchase the cheese/fruit or want to wait for the service in Y to be finished. If you want the cheese/fruit prior to Y service for free then it is in lieu of your F meal. The change in policy is not to create an additional meal course, it's to offer an option for vegetarians or simply someone that doesn't want the F meal being offered. That's what many here have said they wanted for a while.

I'm sure that there are going to be FA's that are going to interpret the policy in different ways. There have been several recent changes leading up to this in a very short time, which has created confusion. None the less, the policy is as described above.
Well I am all kinds of confused now. Flew ANC-HNL yesterday in F. A couple of hours into the flight, meal service is done in F and Y. They announce the second pass of the Y food cart and what is available. I was thinking of asking for a cheese plate to go with my wine and movie until I saw 2 being delivered to row 1 and being charged for it. Are they not comp after the first Y service or is that just wishful thinking on my part? I was afraid to ask for one and make a fool of myself.

Last edited by slopeboy40; Apr 1, 2015 at 6:34 pm Reason: Was actually ANC-HNL, not SEA-HNL. Too many flights.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Well I am all kinds of confused now. Flew SEA-HNL yesterday in F. A couple of hours into the flight, meal service is done in F and Y. They announce the second pass of the Y food cart and what is available. I was thinking of asking for a cheese plate to go with my wine and movie until I saw 2 being delivered to row 1 and being charged for it. Are they not comp after the first Y service or is that just wishful thinking on my part? I was afraid to ask for one and make a fool of myself.
It's my understanding that, after the first pass through, fresh items can be comped in First Class regardless of whether the F passenger has eaten his F meal or not. Again, I think the inconsistency is probably because of the multiple changes to various related policies in a fairly short period. It doesn't make it any better but I imagine the FA thought s/he was doing what was right and just doesn't know the actual policy. So sorry for the confusion.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Do any of the west coast flights get the hot meal option in Y (cheeseburger, chili, etc.) or is it just the fruit/cheese plate? I thought they needed to be at least 2.5 hours but there are a lot of flights on the boarderline like SEA/PDX-SAN.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Do any of the west coast flights get the hot meal option in Y (cheeseburger, chili, etc.) or is it just the fruit/cheese plate? I thought they needed to be at least 2.5 hours but there are a lot of flights on the boarderline like SEA/PDX-SAN.
SEA-LAX had the Chili back in Feb.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ragtop
I would have bought you lunch off the cart if I knew your were a million miler. I'm a little more than half way there and I've been a member since the late 80s.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:54 pm

I opted for the cheese plate instead of the wedge the other day. It was no problem.

SEA-TUS very rarely has a hot meal option in F, but sometimes has one in Y. Which is too bad, since it's over 1200 miles, and I *think* the longest flight without a proper meal (and at lunch time, too).
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Just flew SEA-SNA this morning and we had the hot biscuits and gravy breakfast, which was comped to me as a MM and to my wife as the wife of a MM (but 75k in her own right).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.