Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrades Still Broken

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Just had to phone in for a flight tomorrow. U4 and no upgrade. Agent said "there must be some delay" () but pushed the upgrade without objection (^). Sorry to any 75Ks I leapfrogged.
Good job! The 75Kers could have easily called too so the moral of the story (for now) is....you snooze, you lose
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Good job! The 75Kers could have easily called too so the moral of the story (for now) is....you snooze, you lose
well, i also had the advantage of EF watching for me. the flight is still U2, so at least i didn't zero it out by "cheating".
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AS
Sorry for not knowing.....what is OLCI ? From previous post. Also, do we need to be subscribed to expert flyer to know about U inventory?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pcoll
Sorry for not knowing.....what is OLCI ? From previous post. Also, do we need to be subscribed to expert flyer to know about U inventory?
OLCI = online check in

Expert flyer has the advantage of setting alerts for U inventory that will email you when U0 becomes > U1. You can also check U inventory by making a dummy booking on Alaska website and choosing MVPG or similar upgrade preference, and looking for upgrade eligible flights. So EF is not required for monitoring U space, but it does make it easier in some cases.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AS
Thanks a bunch!! Happy travels.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Indulge me...what does "GDS" stand for?
I think it's the technical name for the SABRE reservation software used by AS but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Close in concept, but not quite accurate. A GDS is not unique to either Alaska or to airline ticketing.

GDS stands for "Global Distribution System," a catch-all term used for software designed for agents to use for booking hotels, cars, tours and other travel-related services in addition to airline tickets. A GDS serves as an intermediary between a travel agent or customer service representative and a myriad of travel products.

Sabre is one of several GDS systems. Apollo and Amadeus are a couple of others. Back when I went through Sabre training it was a cumbersome, ugly, DOS-based coding system that was not intuitive. For that reason, many agents-in-training quipped that GDS stood for "G-d Damned (piece of) ....."

I've been out of the field now for many years, but from what I hear from my friends who still own agencies, the Sabre GDS remains antiquated.

Originally Posted by pcoll
OLCI stands for online check-in. Here's a link to the FlyerTalk Glossary that you might find helpful, pcoll.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I know you probably know this, but if it's inside T-24, hurry up and do OLCI and grab the U space.
I don't know this. What steps do you follow during OLCI?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by dayone
I don't know this. What steps do you follow during OLCI?
If there is U space available, then the link "Upgrade to First Class" will appear during the check-in process.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by makfan
If there is U space available, then the link "Upgrade to First Class" will appear during the check-in process.
Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
Gold MVP Upgrades continue not to clear

Had to call again tonight as I was hawking a couple flights purchased a month ago with a gold upgrade fare (H class) and finally saw the U space available at purchase. Bogus! Should have auto-cleared whenever that became available. This same lack of Gold MVP upgrade happened approximately one month ago as well.

The Alaska elite line rep I spoke with didn't know anything about the issue and even after I insisted that she forward to the appropriate technical or customer care folks, I'm not sure she did.

It is NOT a passenger's responsibility to constantly re-check for upgrade space when upgrades should clear. Many folks in this forum have said "good job for checking," and sure that's right, but it isn't our job to have to check and re-check or pay for a monitoring service.

As a DL DM member, upgrades can be frustrating, but at least I can count on the system working correctly 99.99% of the time. My Alaska Gold 75K experience with upgrades has been tumultuous at best.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I am constantly running into this now. I have PDX/DFW Monday AM and it shows 7 empty F seats. But as a gold I am not yet upgraded - two days out. This has happened frequently of late on other flights and I have even noticed empty seats a few hours before the flight and when I call in, I am told they are now trying to "sell first class seats up until the last minute". Is this a new rule?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
it shows 7 empty F seats
Remember a couple things:
1. It's not number of empty seats that matter, it's how many are for sale
2. And even if they're genuinely available, it's U space rather than number of empty seats - if there isn't an U space available, what people are describing in this thread doesn't apply.

In this thread, people are saying there is U space and they're in the appropriate window for an upgrade (since U space is a prerequisite to be upgraded) but they're not getting it. You're saying you're in the upgrade window but haven't provided any supporting evidence to indicate it's the same problem.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I am constantly running into this now. I have PDX/DFW Monday AM and it shows 7 empty F seats. But as a gold I am not yet upgraded - two days out. This has happened frequently of late on other flights and I have even noticed empty seats a few hours before the flight and when I call in, I am told they are now trying to "sell first class seats up until the last minute". Is this a new rule?
Your flight is showing F1U0, as of 930a PDT.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Thanks guys, I also learned that just because the seat map shows seats available, that mostly means F ticketed passengers haven't yet chosen a seat. I have been pretty lucky out of PDX last year but not so good in 2015 so far.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thumbs up Just got an automatic upgrade for a flight on May 26

Originally Posted by drc1912
Hi All,

Sorry if this is covered in another thread, but wanted to share my experience here.

I have read some rumbles of auto-upgrades at t-120/t-24 out not working properly, and until recently had not experienced it myself. I fly SEA->OAK and back most weeks, and am almost always upgraded as a 75k. The past two weeks upgrades hadn't been clearing until I checked Expert Flyer to confirm upgrades were available, then call into Customer Service to have them upgrade me manually once they confirm I am at top of list.

These were all reservations booked months ago, with no changes to itinerary, when I was already MVPG75k. The customer service team was just as confused about this as I was, and when they email me with a write up of why it was happening I will share with the thread.

Just wanted to keep everyone here updated.

Best,
Dan
FWIW, I just got an automatic upgrade for AS 29 - ORD to SEA - May 26. I had purchased the ticket a couple of months ago and was wait listed for the upgrade. Apparently, U space opened up and my upgrade was processed without me having to take action. I even received an email notification about the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.