Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Free Checked Bag? Size of a duffel bag as a second carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

I am traveling in Feb on Alaska through AA rewards.

We were told AA rules does not apply and all checked bags have a fee. There is a promo for Jan:
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...-bag-free.aspx

Are there any promo or CC offers that lets you check a bag free?

We have a carry on - what size should be the second carry on (they say it should fit under the seat).

Any tips to check in for free? Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Do you have elite status with AA? I would think you get at least 1 fee bag when flying AS if you do. I mean as MVP we get 1 free bag on AA and MVPG gets 2 free bags on AA.

If you don't have AA elite status, there is no way to get around the baggage fee as the promotional waiver requires crediting miles to AS which is not possible on an award. No credit card bag fee waivers either
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
There are no February promo announcements as of yet (the January promo that you cited was the first such promo in the nearly 10 years that I have flown AS.)

There are currently no credit cards that have baggage fee waivers.

Here's the link to AS carry-on baggage rules: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...e-carryon.aspx

Note: AS' size limits are larger than the major airlines for carry-on baggage.

What AS frequently does, though, is allow gate-checked baggage at no charge for flights that are looking to be full. I'd try to use that.

What cities are you flying between? There may be some others that can provide feedback about the cities that you are flying out of.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by dgreen12
What AS frequently* does, though, is allow gate-checked baggage at no charge for flights that are looking to be full. I'd try to use that.
* in my experience, almost always. I'd even go so far as to ask the agent earlier on if free gate checking will be available. Yes, the second item really should be able to fit under your seat. Do folks who board very late, finding no overhead space available, so are forced to check their bag(s) get charged as well? I can't see how.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
I got an email this morning saying that Alaska/BofA Signature card holders get one free bag February-April.
Our Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card is designed from the ground up with your love of travel in mind. To show our appreciation to our Visa Signature consumer cardholders, we're rewarding your loyalty with a free checked bag for a limited time. We're calling all explorers to go out into the world and discover something new.

Terms and Conditions
*Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® consumer (non-business) credit card holders and all passengers traveling in the same reservation, will receive their first checked bag free on qualifying reservations. To qualify, reservations must be on flights marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air, SkyWest or PenAir for travel between February 1, 2015, and April 30, 2015. The Mileage Plan™ number of the primary Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card holder must be in the reservation at the time of check-in. For reservations made with Group Booking codes or through the Group Desk, individual travelers must qualify to receive the first checked bag free. Offer may not be applied retroactively, and no refunds will be issued. Not applicable for travelers who already receive one or more free checked bags. Free first checked bag must weigh 50 pounds or less and have a maximum dimension of 62 linear inches (length + height + width) to avoid additional charges. See alaskaair.com/bagrules for complete baggage rules. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan™ program and the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card program apply. Payment with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card is not required to qualify for the offer. Offer subject to change without notice.

This credit card program is issued and administered by Bank of America, N.A. Visa Signature is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association, and is used by the issuer pursuant to license from Visa U.S.A. Inc.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
* in my experience, almost always. I'd even go so far as to ask the agent earlier on if free gate checking will be available. Yes, the second item really should be able to fit under your seat. Do folks who board very late, finding no overhead space available, so are forced to check their bag(s) get charged as well? I can't see how.
Only charged if its oversize. I believe its an extra $5-$10 on top of fee if caught with oversized carry-on.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Do you have elite status with AA?
I have a AA CC that gives me free bag on AA - but I am told that since it is AS metal, AS rules apply - any way to make it to work for me?

Originally Posted by sturges
I got an email this morning saying that Alaska/BofA Signature card holders get one free bag February-April.
I have a BofA CC but not affiliated with AS at all ....?
The card has $75 annual fee and not waived in the first year:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go

Originally Posted by dgreen12
What cities are you flying between? There may be some others that can provide feedback about the cities that you are flying out of.
OAK=SEA-DTW and back the same route.

I do not think that I have any special status - I no longer travel for business.

Pls keep posting to this thread as we approach Mon Feb 2nd?

Last edited by sciconf; Jan 29, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by sciconf
I have a AA CC that gives me free bag on AA - but I am told that since it is AS metal, AS rules apply - any way to make it to work for me?
You need to be AAdvantage Elite for the baggage waiver to apply:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/EliteAS.jsp
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to see AS is testing out adding a free bag to the CC. I just hope it doesn't cause the annual fee to go up. I hate paying fees for things I don't need.

To the OP it would have to specifically be the AS Visa for the newest promo waiver. There really isn't any way to get out without paying some sort of fee. whether its a bag fee or a credit card annual fee.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:19 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Good to see AS is testing out adding a free bag to the CC. I just hope it doesn't cause the annual fee to go up. I hate paying fees for things I don't need.

I bet it will eventually creep up to $99 but I am mainly betting its a trial run to see how much the benefit gets used before maybe making it a full time benefit so they can have the FAs squawk about it over the PA systems. Oh and for the record, I still hear plenty of FAs saying the companion pass can be used on "any published fare" at Alaskaair.com blah blah blah
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

To the OP it would have to specifically be the AS Visa for the newest promo waiver. There really isn't any way to get out without paying some sort of fee. whether its a bag fee or a credit card annual fee.
If elites got another free bag...I'd be game!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:17 am

It does not appear that Canadian holders of the credit card are entitled to the same We already feel we're paying more when $25 US = $32 CAD.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sciconf
I am traveling in Feb on Alaska through AA rewards.

We were told AA rules does not apply and all checked bags have a fee. There is a promo for Jan:
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...-bag-free.aspx
Is the free first bag extended - or another offer?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:51 pm
zlc

Just did online check-in for my flight tomorrow, after selecting no bags to check, the web site prompted me saying the flight is really full, do you want to check your carry-on for free? It did mention has to be a carry-on size.

Now I get to put those over-sized gel back in to the bag. ^
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by zlc
Just did online check-in for my flight tomorrow, after selecting no bags to check, the web site prompted me saying the flight is really full, do you want to check your carry-on for free? It did mention has to be a carry-on size.

Now I get to put those over-sized gel back in to the bag. ^
This.

I just did a round trip and had luggage to check. I was going to just pay for it at the airport but was presented this option and jumped on it. They took our bags which aren't carry-on size btw with no issues. It was awesome.

At the gate, they were also asking for volunteers to check their carry ons.

Love Alaska Airline. Seats are better. Staff are nicer. Team is great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.