Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BA is Doing a Delta Re: Discount Economy Earning...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

Starting in April the lowest BA economy classes will earn just 25% of miles flown. Mid-tier will earn 50%; only the highest-prices economy tickets, and Premium Economy, will earn 100%.

This somewhat mirrors the DL program reductions we have seen reflected in the AS program changes for 2015 involving DL.

The question now is whether BA economy-class trips will, in similar fashion, earn far fewer AS miles. One would think yes, which would lead AS frequent flyers to focus on AA, KL and AF for paid transatlantic travel.

BA change details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-changes.html
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm sure at some point AS will be forced to do this for all partners. AS may not want to but the other airlines sure do.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:25 pm

I'm wondering if AS will try to pull in other partners... They don't have a lot to work with based on size compared to the other guys but they might be able to pull in flyers if they can keep their FF program better then everyone else... (And they have the code share routes they need...)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I can recall earning 25% on "steeply discounted" BA fares over a decade ago when crediting to my AA account. What is new about this now?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by acarney
I'm wondering if AS will try to pull in other partners... They don't have a lot to work with based on size compared to the other guys but they might be able to pull in flyers if they can keep their FF program better then everyone else... (And they have the code share routes they need...)
Alaska already is partnering with most of the international carriers that fly to SEA. The three big ones left out are: BR, JL and OZ.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I can recall earning 25% on "steeply discounted" BA fares over a decade ago when crediting to my AA account. What is new about this now?
That ended when AA and BA began their joint venture. BA offered 100% on all fares to AAdvantage members (the same as AAdvantage members earned on AA), and BA offered the same 100% earning rate to their own members beginning at that time as well.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Alaska already is partnering with most of the international carriers that fly to SEA. The three big ones left out are: BR, JL and OZ.
JL doesn't fly to SEA, and no Star Alliance airline will partner with AS.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
JL doesn't fly to SEA
Right. I meant ANA.
I do hope AS will partner with "US" soon...

Also, interesting to note that OneWorld is weak at SEA, while strong at BOS (The only international OW carrier at SEA is BA, while at BOS there are CX, JAL, and BA).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure the whole miles thing ever made sense. We live in a world where tickets are paid for with currency and there is no per mile fee for air travel. Awarding FF benefits based on # of miles flown makes little sense.

Buy a GBP 1,000 ticket and you get X points. Book the same ticket and you need however many points it is to pay for the ticket.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Back in 2002 or so the BA Executive Club was revamped along those lines, with lower / minimal rewards for people buying discount economy tickets. It also became, AFAIK, the only airline loyalty program to reject applicants: existing members were allowed to stay, but new aspirants had to buy at least one full-fare ticket to get in, and in any event the program only really made sense if one bought a lot of full-fare tickets.

Then came the banking crisis and recession and suddenly a lot of Captains of Industry were buying discount tickets, or flying less, and BA sheepishly dropped the restrictions as it JV'd up with AA.

Pattern clear: boom economy, full planes: fawn over the few, backhand the rest. Bust economy, loosen up and devise incentives for the rest. We're amid a boom but nothing lasts forever.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Lets see a DEQM promo on AA metal to Europe
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Right. I meant ANA.
I do hope AS will partner with "US" soon...

There is little point to doing any new partnerships when you are winding down an airline. I think US never partnering with AS until it's a dead letter is a safe prediction.

Also, interesting to note that OneWorld is weak at SEA, while strong at BOS (The only international OW carrier at SEA is BA, while at BOS there are CX, JAL, and BA).
Not surprising, really. AA is weak TPAC, and DL (via NW) and UA had long historical attachment to SEA. AA ran a one-off SEA-NRT route back when oil was cheap and P2P on international routes was more common, but OW has never been all that interested in SEA outside of being a BA/AA spoke.

I would think that we'd see JL/CX SEA service before AA ever tried anything. And perhaps a JL partnership with AS might make sense...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's not 'doing a Delta' because it's not going to revenue-based mileage earning: BA is still distance/fare code-based.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The only other thing that most people "earn", apart from Frequent Flyer Miles, is salary. So let's run with that analogy.

Would you suddenly like to go back to your salary of over a decade ago? And accept, at the same time, a huge dose of inflation (cost of redeeming miles has increased, for the type of rewards that make any sense, in premium cabins)

Thought not!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's not 'doing a Delta' because it's not going to revenue-based mileage earning: BA is still distance/fare code-based.
Agreed. I'd say the changes are far more aligned to the Flying Blue program than Skymiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.