Wiki Posts
Search

Rebooking Due to Weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Rebooking Due to Weather

My dad is traveling between SEA and EWR on 1/27. We chose 1/27 since there was U space at the time of the booking. However, due to the inclement weather in the NYC area on 1/27, I considered rebooking him to 1/29 or 1/30. After speaking to an AS CSR, I was told they won't be able to rebook him in F unless there's U space, which there isn't. Is this really the case for confirmed F passengers using upgrade certificates? I was also told that since the upgrade cleared at the time of the booking, the certificate won't be refunded back to me if my dad were to sit in Economy.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
My dad is traveling between SEA and EWR on 1/27. We chose 1/27 since there was U space at the time of the booking. However, due to the inclement weather in the NYC area on 1/27, I considered rebooking him to 1/29 or 1/30. After speaking to an AS CSR, I was told they won't be able to rebook him in F unless there's U space, which there isn't. Is this really the case for confirmed F passengers using upgrade certificates? I was also told that since the upgrade cleared at the time of the booking, the certificate won't be refunded back to me if my dad were to sit in Economy.
You can request return of the gold guest upgrade certificate by emailing a request to: [email protected]

They aren't going to give an upgrade away if they believe they can sell the seat. Unfortunately, you're inside the upgrade window, so even if they don't sell the seat, it's most likely going to be given to a 75K at the top of the list.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Unless you are in paid F (miles or cash) you cannot be rebooked in F.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
1/27 is still two days away....if he has a confirmed F seat on this VERY tough route for upgrades, I would say keep the flight as is....weather can change for better or worse in a matter of minutes...if there is no U space for him to change to, there is no advantage to changing flights now...chances are, as shown with the PHL flights this weekend, the flight will probably fly although it may be delayed....not a big deal, especially if he is sitting in F
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone. What concerns my family and I is that my dad is handicapped. We already requested wheelchair assistance for him since he's unable to walk long distances.

I will keep the reservation as is and see how things go.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Thanks for the info everyone. What concerns my family and I is that my dad is handicapped. We already requested wheelchair assistance for him since he's unable to walk long distances.

I will keep the reservation as is and see how things go.
Currently I'd say this is the best bet ^
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS gold
And rest assured, that if you father ends up in coach, it is not the end of the world. I fly my 86 year old handicapped mother in AS coach all the time, and the flight attendants have always been more than kind to her. We put her in 6C, a handicapped seat that is often available at the last minute and the FA's help her to the FC lav whenever she needs it.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macfadsj
And rest assured, that if you father ends up in coach, it is not the end of the world.
True, but it's still a bummer when he arranged his travel dates around U space availability, especially on a route like SEA-EWR. He also paid the extra $100 to get a GGU-eligible fare, which isn't much money to many people, but it is for him.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by macfadsj
We put her in 6C, a handicapped seat that is often available at the last minute...
As they are designated for those who need them.

As a FYI they are made available, as many folks do like them who hold status- but there is the caveat of being reseated if the seat is required for someone handicapped.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:46 am

SEA-EWR is sold out in F for both flights on the 29th, and only has a couple of coach seats left for sale. The am flight on the 30th is sold out, but the pm flight has seats available.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
SEA-EWR is sold out in F for both flights on the 29th, and only has a couple of coach seats left for sale. The am flight on the 30th is sold out, but the pm flight has seats available.
AS 8 is cancelled tomorrow. He was booked onto the afternoon flight on the 29th.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
As a FYI they are made available, as many folks do like them who hold status- but there is the caveat of being reseated if the seat is required for someone handicapped.
I was told someone was sitting in 6C, so 6B was the only seat that was open. Asked if the person in 6C was handicapped, but the CSR had no clue and told me to have my dad ask at the ticket counter.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 pm

I was told someone was sitting in 6C, so 6B was the only seat that was open. Asked if the person in 6C was handicapped, but the CSR had no clue and told me to have my dad ask at the ticket counter.
^

That's the best place to handle this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.