Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Just out of curiousity, has anybody flown Delta, entered their Alaska number for the miles and found the miles ended up in the Skymiles account anyway?

That has happened twice to me, and I can't figure out if I simply did not enter the information correctly, or something went on behind the scenes.

Next time I will print a copy of my information to insure that I remember exactly what I entered.
it happened just once to me, when i initiated a DL reservation with my DL# then later changed it to my AS#
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
EK also works for lots of Europe destinations ^
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Are there some form of elite benefits?

Hello everyone,

Going to go on my first Alaska Airline flight, and I am wondering if Alaska Airline offers any elite benefits to Cathay Pacific DM/One World Emerald...knowing that they are not part of the alliance...?

Thank you!!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Hey all, I'm currently planning a trip to Europe next year and will likely be taking a BA flight from LCY to ZRH. The flight number is outside Alaska's ranges of mileage-eligible flight numbers, but I don't see why; it's on a BA CityFlyer flight, and they're a wholly-owned BA subsidiary. Do you guys have any idea of why I can't get credit for that flight, while I do on Delta flights on SkyWest metal?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsolitude
Hello everyone,

Going to go on my first Alaska Airline flight, and I am wondering if Alaska Airline offers any elite benefits to Cathay Pacific DM/One World Emerald...knowing that they are not part of the alliance...?

Thank you!!
not that i am aware of much as CX doesn't offer elite benefits to AS members who are flying w/ them. you might be able to board early but that is about it.

Originally Posted by jinglish
Hey all, I'm currently planning a trip to Europe next year and will likely be taking a BA flight from LCY to ZRH. The flight number is outside Alaska's ranges of mileage-eligible flight numbers, but I don't see why; it's on a BA CityFlyer flight, and they're a wholly-owned BA subsidiary. Do you guys have any idea of why I can't get credit for that flight, while I do on Delta flights on SkyWest metal?
BA and AS have specific agreements that are not fully publicized about flights that earn and those that don't. So do AS and DL. Flights that earn versus ones that don't are subject to the nuances of those specific agreements. The most insight we have to those agreements is the flight numbers table and fare bucket earnings table that are published on AS.com
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nsolitude
Hello everyone,

Thank you!!
No other than miles, currently AA is the only oneworld carrier with reciprocal benefit agreement. Only other thing I have heard of is some carriers like EK offering op-up to higher cabin to AS elite over a general member in over sold situation

Originally Posted by jinglish
Someone else has brought this up recently

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-partners.html
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:29 am

Newbie to Alaska MP question: Ex-LHR/-LON/-Europe query

Firstly, thank you for reading this and my apologies if the question appears really obtuse! I basically had a question from across the pond in London, albeit one which probably sounds pretty ignorant (unlike other FFPs, I’m new to Alaska):

Is it possible to book an award seat ex-LHR/ex-LON or ex-Europe via Alaska’s Mileage Plan but for flights on one of Alaska’s partner airlines, e.g. Cathay/Qantas/BA? I get the impression that journeys must start/end in the USA if booking via Alaska (though perhaps I’m mistaken?), but I’d love to be wrong! I ask mainly as most of my future travel plans would route from London via Hong Kong/Dubai/Australia, so if there was any means (or sleight-of-hand! ) to book Qantas/Cathay/BA via Alaska out of Heathrow/Europe, I’d be ever so grateful to know! Thank you in advance. Simon
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm a bit confused about the mileage earning for an MVP 75k flying on Delta. I have a flight booked that looks like it only earns 50% EQM, but what about the RDM? Do I earn actual miles flown plus the MVP 75k bonus or do I only earn 50% plus a bonus on that?

Thanks for any guidance!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scoob72
Firstly, thank you for reading this and my apologies if the question appears really obtuse! I basically had a question from across the pond in London, albeit one which probably sounds pretty ignorant (unlike other FFPs, I’m new to Alaska):

Is it possible to book an award seat ex-LHR/ex-LON or ex-Europe via Alaska’s Mileage Plan but for flights on one of Alaska’s partner airlines, e.g. Cathay/Qantas/BA? I get the impression that journeys must start/end in the USA if booking via Alaska (though perhaps I’m mistaken?), but I’d love to be wrong! I ask mainly as most of my future travel plans would route from London via Hong Kong/Dubai/Australia, so if there was any means (or sleight-of-hand! ) to book Qantas/Cathay/BA via Alaska out of Heathrow/Europe, I’d be ever so grateful to know! Thank you in advance. Simon
CX offers award for Europe to Hong Kong. you can do a separate Hong Kong to Australia or dubai. Thats really all you got
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Is it possible to book an award seat ex-LHR/ex-LON or ex-Europe via Alaska’s Mileage Plan but for flights on one of Alaska’s partner airlines, e.g. Cathay/Qantas/BA? I get the impression that journeys must start/end in the USA if booking via Alaska (though perhaps I’m mistaken?), but I’d love to be wrong!
You're mostly correct. Only the routings shown on Alaska's award charts are valid, and for Europe those are mostly Europe ↔ US/Canada or intra-Europe.

The sole exception is Cathay Pacific, which does allow Europe ↔ HKG awards. If you wanted to go beyond HKG, that would require a second award.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Originating ex-EU to NA is not a problem at all.

BUT for ex-EU flights not via NA, AFAIK you CAN do that, but only on Cathay, for which you have to call in. The award chart tells you allowable routings. The only routing ex-Europe that doesnt involve NA is Cathay. KE also allows intra-asia award flights.

You'll have to go through 2 awards anyway though, either Europe-HKG and then an intra-asia award or Europe-NA and then NA-wherever.

Try making some dummy bookings, just know that Cathay wont show up.

Edit: beaten like Brazil at the world cup
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pinned
I'm a bit confused about the mileage earning for an MVP 75k flying on Delta. I have a flight booked that looks like it only earns 50% EQM, but what about the RDM? Do I earn actual miles flown plus the MVP 75k bonus or do I only earn 50% plus a bonus on that?

Thanks for any guidance!
IIRC, you'll earn both 50% RDM and EQM. the elite bonuses are based on the 50% earning, so as a 75K, you'll earn (actual miles flown*.50)+(actual miles flown*.50*1.25).

for a hypothetical 1000 mile flight on DL in a 50% earning class, a 75K level member would get:

RDMs = 1000*.5 + 1000*.5*1.25) = 1125
EQMs = 1000*.5 = 500

someone please correct me if i'm wrong but i think i got this right.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
IIRC, you'll earn both 50% RDM and EQM. the elite bonuses are based on the 50% earning, so as a 75K, you'll earn (actual miles flown*.50)+(actual miles flown*.50*1.25).

for a hypothetical 1000 mile flight on DL in a 50% earning class, a 75K level member would get:

RDMs = (1000*.5)+ (1000*.5)*1.25)= 1125
EQMs = 1000*.5 = 500

someone please correct me if i'm wrong but i think i got this right.
Sounds right to me. bonuses are figured based on the number of base miles earned so 125% of 50% for RDM bonus rdm. Not sure if I put the () in the proper places when fixing the equation
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks guys. That's pretty brutal on the mileage earning front, oh well!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pinned
Thanks guys. That's pretty brutal on the mileage earning front, oh well!
yeah this has driven all but my cheapest business away from Delta at least for the purposes of crediting miles to AS. i still buy their cheap F and J fares when they are available, and i bought a super cheap coach fare for next year to central america where it was so cheap that i don't mind taking the hit on miles (though i might credit the trip to DL). mid-tier coach fares i'm trying to push onto AA or AS metal to protect miles earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.