Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Hi, I recently booked a British Airway partner award on AS (used BA miles to fly on AS). I am a club 49 member.

If I am able to attach my AS mileage number to this ticket, will I be able to get the 2 free bags as part of club 49?

thanks in advance
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bta15
Hi, I recently booked a British Airway partner award on AS (used BA miles to fly on AS). I am a club 49 member.

If I am able to attach my AS mileage number to this ticket, will I be able to get the 2 free bags as part of club 49?
No, the bag benefit from Club 49 is limited to AS only: "Club 49™ members and those traveling in the same reservation will receive 2 free checked bags when traveling to or from Alaska on Alaska Airlines."

That said, your BA ticket probably gets you at least one bag free even in basic economy, more for some destinations and premium cabins; check BA's allowances for specifics.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by Kieron
No, the bag benefit from Club 49 is limited to AS only: "Club 49™ members and those traveling in the same reservation will receive 2 free checked bags when traveling to or from Alaska on Alaska Airlines."

That said, your BA ticket probably gets you at least one bag free even in basic economy, more for some destinations and premium cabins; check BA's allowances for specifics.
I am a club 49 member and I will be flying on Alaska Airlines. I just used british air avios to purchase the ticket.

The BA agent told me there is no baggage allowance just from them. So the baggage allowance would need to come from club 49 status (its actually my wife and daughter who are not MVP).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Sorry, I misread your original post - thanks for correcting me. I believe what you want to do should work.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:39 am

AS partner miles

I just booked & paid 5 round trip from BWI to DAB on Delta for my Daughter and friends on-line. When prompted, my Mileage Plan account number was accepted on my Daughters ticket (same last name). The additional four reservations would not accept my MP account number. I booked the 5 tickets but would like to get Alaska miles for all the tickets. I am MVP Gold 75K. Am I out of luck or is there something I need to do?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by HazyNJ
I just booked & paid 5 round trip from BWI to DAB on Delta for my Daughter and friends on-line. When prompted, my Mileage Plan account number was accepted on my Daughters ticket (same last name). The additional four reservations would not accept my MP account number. I booked the 5 tickets but would like to get Alaska miles for all the tickets. I am MVP Gold 75K. Am I out of luck or is there something I need to do?
You can't earn miles for tickets flown by others. Im surprised it accepted it on your daughters, i guess its only needs last name to match. When it comes time to post its likely not post
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:58 am

Hi All,

a quick question. Are you allowed to book 1/2 stopovers on a Intra-Asia or Intra-Europe redemption on a one-way/return or are they not considered international itineraries?

Cheers
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waver99
Hi All,

a quick question. Are you allowed to book 1/2 stopovers on a Intra-Asia or Intra-Europe redemption on a one-way/return or are they not considered international itineraries?

Cheers
Stop-overs don't seem to be allowed on the intra-regional awards on parters
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
So I searched and couldn't find this, but maybe I missed it. Anyway, how does mileage accrual work on codeshare flights with the new 2015 earning scheme? Specifically, the following two scenarios:

DL XXXX operated by AS
AS XXXX operated by DL

(I'm assuming with AS/AA it isn't an issue. But I'm interested in, e.g., DL V fares that make use of the AS LAX-DCA flight, or AS T/G/R fares that make use of DL codeshares on SEA-JFK)
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber

(I'm assuming with AS/AA it isn't an issue. But I'm interested in, e.g., DL V fares that make use of the AS LAX-DCA flight, or AS T/G/R fares that make use of DL codeshares on SEA-JFK)
Actually, I came here to confirm whether AA op by AS earns miles.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Actually, I came here to confirm whether AA op by AS earns miles.
AA operated by AS earns miles if booked through AA. Should count as AS instead of AS+ partners
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Can I book an award from Europe to South Africa? Every time I search on Alaska for flights originating in Europe, I get an error code. There is availability from US to SA.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by floridagal23
Can I book an award from Europe to South Africa? Every time I search on Alaska for flights originating in Europe, I get an error code. There is availability from US to SA.
Not as a single award. If you look at the AS award charts, almost all of them involve going to/from the US. So, you can book one award of Europe-US and then another US-SA but not one that is Europe-SA.

Edit: I read SA as South America; the statement is still true but going to the US is more out of the way if you're going to Africa. However, you could also do two CX awards, Europe-HKG and then HKG-SA.

Last edited by LwoodY2K; Mar 10, 2015 at 11:00 am Reason: Reading comprehension
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CDKing
AA operated by AS earns miles if booked through AA. Should count as AS instead of AS+ partners
Along those lines, does that mean that AS XXXX operated by DL/AA counts as "partners" rather than "AS"?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Not as a single award. If you look at the AS award charts, almost all of them involve going to/from the US. So, you can book one award of Europe-US and then another US-SA but not one that is Europe-SA.

Edit: I read SA as South America; the statement is still true but going to the US is more out of the way if you're going to Africa. However, you could also do two CX awards, Europe-HKG and then HKG-SA.
Thanks. I am technically starting in NYC but wanted to book a positioning flight from NYC to Europe and then take a BA flight from LHR to CPT or LHR to JNB. The website, however, will allow me to book NYC to LHR to CPT in a mixed cabin itinerary for 70k points. I don't want that because I can get business from NYC to LHR on another airline. The BA availability on Alaska is only in economy. Any suggestions?

I did call about Cathay availability but the agent again told me I could not fly just the HKG to SA route. Is this right?

Last, any rhyme or reason as to when BA business or first availability will open up on Alaska?

Last edited by floridagal23; Mar 10, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.