Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Do "First Class Upgrade Requested" on future flights survive status decrease?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum

I'm MVPG for 2014, dropping to MVP for 2015. Flying with a companion in March 2015. Upon booking that reservation, the reservation details say "First Class Upgrade Requested" for these flights. Does that mean that myself and my companion have already been added to the upgrade list based on my MVPG status and "grandfathered in", even though I won't be MVPG and have the benefit of companion upgrades as MVP, or will I only be entitled to the MVP status benefits for this trip (w/ no companion upgrades)?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
As long as nothing has changed, yes. Back in 2012 i bought most of my 2013 flights and got my upgrade at the 75K window instead of MVPG window
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:47 pm

Hi -

Also keep in mind the flip side is true too. If you get an increase in status after purchasing a ticket, you need to call in, have your MP# manually removed from your PNR, then have it annually re-entered. Otherwise, your lower status will drive any perks you may or may not get.

Finally, know that if/when you do the above, you drop to the bottom of the upgrade list for your flight (albeit with upgraded status).

It is usually a good thing to do going from MVP --> MVPG. sometimes you hose yourself going from MVPG --> MVPG75.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:48 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
So long as there isnt a schedule change drastic enough that requires reissue, you are grandfathered in. If the flight is in March then Id guess your flights probably arent going to change enough to cause a reissue

Likewise as long as you dont change it either
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ANC
So long as there isnt a schedule change drastic enough that requires reissue, you are grandfathered in. If the flight is in March then Id guess your flights probably arent going to change enough to cause a reissue

Likewise as long as you dont change it either
This is really useful info. Looks like I may have to go on a booking spree this afternoon for 2015!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:13 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
This is really useful info. Looks like I may have to go on a booking spree this afternoon for 2015!
sure its a roll of the dice if theres schedule changes. AS flights hardly change very drastically. If you are adding any AA partner flights those things change every quarter
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Anything - ANYTHING - that causes the ticket to be reissued will cause you to be re-waitlisted with your then-current status. Causes of ticket reissue could include:

- schedule change and/or flight renumbering, including partner changes
- requesting a fare guarantee refund
- voluntary flight changes, including adding/deleting a segment
- any other changes, voluntary or involuntary, that result in a new eticket number
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
Anything - ANYTHING - that causes the ticket to be reissued will cause you to be re-waitlisted with your then-current status. Causes of ticket reissue could include:

- schedule change and/or flight renumbering, including partner changes
- requesting a fare guarantee refund
- voluntary flight changes, including adding/deleting a segment
- any other changes, voluntary or involuntary, that result in a new eticket number
Does dropping a segment cause the ticket to reissue? I have one that I booked before my status expired and now I need to change the return date to something sooner. If I still want to waitlist for an upgrade on the outbound, is my best bet to fly that outbound segment then do the change?

I wonder if AS would automatically do anything if I booked a separate one way return a few days earlier.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:06 am

Interestingly, when I go to change an existing trip with a waitlisted FC request, it's asking me if I want to waitlist on the changed flight as well. I'm tempted to try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.