Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me or.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Is it just me or.....

is there a new (and not so pleasant) demeanor at AS? Wow! I've called in 4 or 5 different times over the last couple of weeks and the agents have been ill-informed in two instances but insisted they weren't and on all but one of the other occasions just not friendly. My attitude is the same (well, at least it is when I start the call) as it's always been but the return attitude seems almost surly. I'm calling about several paid F reservations so I wouldn't think they would think I'm wasting their time. Surely I'm the sort of pax they would want to treat nicely - hope it's not a trend! Maybe it's just the holiday rush?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Luckly I have not had any issues but the only ones I've called on were CX award bookings where I knew there was award availability.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Haven't called AS in awhile...most of what I do can be accomplished online but they've always been pleasant in the past.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I called a couple of weeks ago regarding a mixed itinerary where I was upgraded via Gold cert on the return, but needed help getting on the outbound (non-eligible fare) waitlist. Agent couldn't have been nice enough.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Dec 18, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Keep in mind some of us are UA transplants so it doesn't take a lot to make us happy....in general, AS phone agents, gate agents, and FAs are some of the most friendly, personable airline employees I've ever come across....and more professional than the craziness of WN (which I appreciate).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
I have had no issues in that regard when I have needed to call. Probably just the stress of the season...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:13 pm

It's not just you

I've had the exact same treatment. I ask for something or ask a question about an error message the website is inaccurately showing, and they tell me I'm wrong. First, they said that price guarantee isn't something you can submit online, then they said companion fares weren't eligible for upgrades, then companion fares weren't eligible for price guarantee, and on and on. I realize these are discount fares, but they should know this.

Luckily my issues have only been on the phone. Email communications, FAs, and gate attendants have continued to be wonderful.

I love alaska, but at this point I will do anything to avoid calling them.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I had no problem with speaking with AS agent on the phone. They were all very nice and friendly compare to DL and AC.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
No problems over 8-10 calls this past month. Consistent and courteous.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Glad to know it isn't widespread! I've always loved calling Alaska...best wishes to all at Alaska and here on FT for a happy holiday season!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Exact opposite here - last few calls the agent went above and beyond. Last call was about partner mileage credit on a BA flight that hadn't posted in over 2 months. She was courteous, helpful, and went the extra mile to make sure everything was taken care of. She even sent me an email while on the phone that I replied to directly to ensure that she got the required travel documents to prove that I was on the flight. By the time I hung up the phone the flight/miles had posted.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Keep in mind some of us are UA transplants so it doesn't take a lot to make us happy...
True dat. Everything's relative.

I just got booked over to AS at DCA last night at the last minute, as my DL connection flight was oversold, and both the DL and AS ground people were completely great and super-friendly despite the holiday chaos on the concourse. Four AS gate agents dealing with sold-out flights and a lot of amateurs, and not a sour peep from any of them. I was impressed. Try looking for that at EWR.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
my AS interactions lately have been good. a couple of phone calls to clean up schedule changes and apply upgrades, good reception and amicable people on the other end of the line. at SMF and PDX, my two most frequent airports, more of the same. i'm consistently impressed with AS customer service on all fronts.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:56 pm

I noticed that as well, I had a Y ticket I was trying to change, and it sounded like an inconvenience for the agent to change it the first time I called. She did it and made a mistake, but I had to call back and correct it. The next agent that answered did it quickly and was very polite.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Unusual, I think.

I've called AS MVPG line dozens of times in the past few months, and my interactions have been nothing but great. Case in point- my DCA-PDX-SJC flight got cancelled two weeks ago due to a left engine malfunction... It returned to the gate and was put on standby; I sat on the plane and re-booked a flight, but the FAs wouldn't let me off the plane. It was a nail-biter, finally we all got released and I made the next standby DCA-SEA. But the SEA-SJC wasn't until the next morning at 6 AM, so I stayed at a hotel on my own dime.

After my trip, I called the MVPG line and they immediately credited $250 for IRROPs and asked for a receipt to reimburse the hotel stay ($200 @ Olive 8). The ticket itself couldn't have been more than $300. Can't ask for anything better, IMHO!! ^

Usually flying DCA to SEA or SJC. I am alway impressed with AS's customer service folks. And just re-upped my BR membership, to boot! Pancakes for all!

ho ho ho

-AD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.