Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Now I wish MileagePlan can have some partnership with HU (Hainan Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Please reference the current thread discussing this CONFIRMED partnership:

AS and HU partnership CONFIRMED!!
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P

A friend of mine just visited China during Thanksgiving, and took HU+AS SFO-SEA-PEK route. I tried a dummy booking on HU's website and that's totally bookable, but the AS segment earns no miles on HU's FF. This is interesting in several aspects:

1. HU is a nice airlines, have 5-star skytrax rating. They are not as good as other 5-stars, but at least they are not bad.
2. HU use 787 to fly PEK-SEA route.
3. HU is a non-alliance airline with lots of various partners (just like AS)
4. HU's Northern American partner is AA, so normally they use AA to feed their NA destinations (SEA, ORD, BOS, YYZ, all with 787). But obvious AA don't have a strong network ex-SEA. I suspect this route is also bookable through AA, as they are both AA's partners.

It would be interesting if HU & AS can extent their current partnership, maybe through AA. This will give me some more options to visit China and other Asian parts. But that might makes CX unhappy*, so who knows.

* Rumors are HU could join oneworld (There's no Chinese carrier in oneworld, and they have partnership with AA), only CX hate this idea (HU has 2 subsidiaries based on HKG: Hong Kong Airlines & Hong Kong Express Airways)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Since AS is not a member of OW, HU joining wont make a difference. CX may take up issue with AS partnering with HU. Although maybe a threat would get Dragon Air to earn miles in AS. If AS could partner with everyone and get away with it, they probably would have done it already. I mean they did partner with both AA and DL but DL wasn't too happy about that anymore and wanted AS to dump its oneworld partners.

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by CDKing
Since AS is not a member of OW, HU joining wont make a difference. CX may take up issue with AS partnering with HU. Although maybe a threat would get Dragon Air to earn miles in AS. If AS could partner with everyone and get away with it, they probably would have done it already. I mean they did partner with both AA and DL but DL wasn't too happy about that anymore and wanted AS to dump its oneworld partners.
Getting KA would be nice. CX alone serves too few Chinese airports, I mean, even KE serves more Chinese airports than CX.

If you ask me to choose only one between CX and HU, maybe I'll still pick CX.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I thought CX would only have an issue if AS partnered with HX, which is a subsidary of HU. However, I didn't think CX had any problems with HU itself.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:32 am

Flying in China.

It's an experience.

But overall, I like HU.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I would love to see that! It's funny that on the MP page it says that:
"When your travels take you somewhere that Alaska Airlines doesn't fly, you can redeem your Mileage Plan™ Miles for travel on any of our airline partners. With our Partner Awards, you can fly to Acapulco, Zhengzhou, or just about anywhere in between."
But it's funny that AS doesn't actually have a partner that flies to Zhengzhou
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I thought CX would only have an issue if AS partnered with HX, which is a subsidary of HU. However, I didn't think CX had any problems with HU itself.
Of the cities in the USA that HU serves, only SEA is not served by CX. CX and HU both have BOS, ORD and YYZ. Seems HU is trying to move in on markets served by CX.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fishywang
A friend of mine just visited China during Thanksgiving, and took HU+AS SFO-SEA-PEK route. I tried a dummy booking on HU's website and that's totally bookable, but the AS segment earns no miles on HU's FF. This is interesting in several aspects:

1. HU is a nice airlines, have 5-star skytrax rating. They are not as good as other 5-stars, but at least they are not bad.
2. HU use 787 to fly PEK-SEA route.
3. HU is a non-alliance airline with lots of various partners (just like AS)
4. HU's Northern American partner is AA, so normally they use AA to feed their NA destinations (SEA, ORD, BOS, YYZ, all with 787). But obvious AA don't have a strong network ex-SEA. I suspect this route is also bookable through AA, as they are both AA's partners.

It would be interesting if HU & AS can extent their current partnership, maybe through AA. This will give me some more options to visit China and other Asian parts. But that might makes CX unhappy*, so who knows.

* Rumors are HU could join oneworld (There's no Chinese carrier in oneworld, and they have partnership with AA), only CX hate this idea (HU has 2 subsidiaries based on HKG: Hong Kong Airlines & Hong Kong Express Airways)
Another problem is HU does not have a real "hub" in mainland China. Take PEK for example, CA which dominates PEK, operates from T3 exclusively but HU uses the old T1 and has way too fewer flights than CA. HU's network is more like a point to point model rather than hub and spoke. Also the financial condition for HU is unclear. HU has so many "subsidiaries", like JD,8L and GS. It will be a mess if all those "subsidiaries" are trying to join the OW.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Of the cities in the USA that HU serves, only SEA is not served by CX. CX and HU both have BOS, ORD and YYZ. Seems HU is trying to move in on markets served by CX.
No, HU is trying to serve every city in USA/Canada/Europe they can profitably serve that CA will let them serve. Has nothing to do with CX. Surprised that CA hasn't stopped them from serving even these cities though, as CX is part-owned by CA and if CA says HU can't fly a route, they can't.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
No, HU is trying to serve every city in USA/Canada/Europe they can profitably serve that CA will let them serve. Has nothing to do with CX. Surprised that CA hasn't stopped them from serving even these cities though, as CX is part-owned by CA and if CA says HU can't fly a route, they can't.
Here's a good read relating to this:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-routes-191664
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I think this would be a cool addition. If the mileage earnings are pretty good then it would be a better option than DL's non-stop between SEA and PEK. I heard their Business Class seats on the 787 is pretty good too.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Here's a good read relating to this:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-routes-191664
Solid read.

Thanks for the link ^
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another problem is the partnerships also rely on AS feeding partner flights or AS taking partners traffic to its destination. Partly what is happening with the DL partnership and SEA international buildup is AS doesn't have enough capacity so DL needed to add a bunch of its own, that put some considerable strain on the partnership. AS can only have so many partners.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

...only SEA is not served by CX.
What is CX waiting for. They should not let DL have the sole non-stop.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What is CX waiting for. They should not let DL have the sole non-stop.
From what I've seen SEA to Asia has not been very profitable for many airlines. UA used to put its crappiest equipment on it, it was a notorious equipment swap route. I believe ANA did the same before 787 cam online If CX had some 787 they would probably be on it by now. CX had more important routes to start like BOS-HKG

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 11, 2014 at 8:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.