Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

American Airlines paid F flyer - should I switch to Mileage Plan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm currently an American Executive Platinum. I fly almost weekly on AA, and almost all my flights are YUP fares, booked into AA P class. I just barely made EXP this year, and I'm not sure that I will make it next year.

I'm very concerned about the degradation of AA award availability, and do like the offering from Alaskan. So with a view of maximizing miles earned, and assuming I get a status match from Alaskan, is my understanding as follows correct?

- Flying AA P, I will earn 200% of miles flown as MVP, and 225% of miles flown as MVP 75K. I earn 250% as AA EX and EXP.
- I won't miss AA EXP upgrades, since I'm flying in F. And as an EXP, I don't earn 500 mile stickers.
- I have an AA Worldelite Mastercard that gives me Admirals club access. I can drop this and buy a Boardroom membership and get AA club access that way.
- I can still choose MCE seats on AA when flying AA Y.
- Since I'm unlikely to make AA EXP in 2015, I won't miss the SWUs that I won't be earning.

Is this a good summary of my situation? What am I missing? Given my travel patterns, should I try Alaskan MVP?

TIA.

Last edited by bmchris; Dec 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Boardroom members have access to limited AA lounges and only in specific cities. You would likely be better off with AAdmirals club card. AA lounges can only be used in EWR, DEN, ORD & AUS when flying AS, AA and US.

Until AA and US completely merge programs you wont be able to earn on any tickets purchased through US website (even if AA operated) and no US operated.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Also, you won't get oneworld benefits when flying on oneworld partner carriers (lounge access, checked bags, etc).
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by bmchris
I'm very concerned about the degradation of AA award availability, and do like the offering from Alaskan.
How do you plan on redeeming your AS miles? If they're with oneworld partners, you could be doing that with AA miles already.

The Delta-Alaska relationship is rapidly souring, leaving you to pick up a few Skyteam partners (but you'll need to investigate whether their routes/availability is suitable for you). Alaska also only permits one partner (in addition to Alaska) on any single award redemption.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
How do you plan on redeeming your AS miles? If they're with oneworld partners, you could be doing that with AA miles already.
What initially interests me is CX to Australia and South Africa from the USA. Alaska offers much lower redemptions rates than AA, plus stopover. That's just my initial list. I already have about 300K AA miles for redemptions still.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here. Several linked thread in posts 3 and 2 about moving/jumping ffp's
The grass is not always greener over the fence

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Are you able to put in a lot of CC spend? If so, I'd do the status match to MVPG75K (if you're EXP) and put a lot of CC spend on a SPG card. Nice to have a card on the side that allows you to transfer points to a variety of airlines (ex. AA, JL, BA, etc.) while earning a 5K bonus for every 20K you transfer. Seems like the elite benefits with EXP isn't much use to you as a paid-F pax and you want more redemption options, so this wouldn't be a bad move.

Keep in mind you earn 1.5 EQM on P fares and need to fly 90K to requalify, so only 10K short from EXP.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by bmchris
- Flying AA P, I will earn 200% of miles flown as MVP, and 225% of miles flown as MVP 75K. I earn 250% as AA EX and EXP.
I am not sure how you are calculating it, but by my calculations you will earn 250% of miles flown as an MVPG (same as AA EXP) and 275% as an MVPG 75K starting in the new year.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
I am not sure how you are calculating it, but by my calculations you will earn 250% of miles flown as an MVPG (same as AA EXP) and 275% as an MVPG 75K starting in the new year.
Thank you! I just researched, and found that first class carries a 50% bonus. So 275% as MVPG 75K makes it sweeter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.