Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What to do with unused 2014 upgrade codes (no offers/trading here)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This thread is for general topics about giving away Alaska Airlines Gold Guest Upgrade, such as policies for who they can be given to, ideas for how to gift them to others, who can best benefit from them, etc. This thread should not be used for any actual offers or requests for gifts or trades; those now belong in The Coupon Connection, which does have specific requirements to qualify for access to. If you qualify for acccess, you can find The Coupon Connection in your list of forums at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php. Any offers or requests for upgrade certificates will be deleted from this thread by the moderators.

Policies and Best Practices:
  • Upgrade certificates are freely transferable and can be used by anyone without restriction. (They are indeed titled "Gold Guest Upgrades" and intended to be given away.)
  • In order to transfer, simply provide the recipient your Gold Guest Upgrade certificate code, or ask for your guest's record locator and process the upgrade yourself on the AS website.
  • Remember that GGUs can only be used on certain fare classes and only if U space is open (and that they must be applied in real-time and cannot be waitlisted). It's best to confirm that the recipient is flying on a qualified fare and that U space is open before giving away your code.

Ideas for giving them away:
  • The Giveaway thread in the Coupon Connection forum here on FlyerTalk: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupo...ay-thread.html
  • Missy has more than she can use already. Please DO NOT PM her asking for upgrades. They do not belong to her, and she will not be giving them away other than through the USO. PM codes to missydarlin, who volunteers at the SeaTac USO and will use your codes to upgrade members of the military traveling during the holiday season
  • Your real family and friends
  • Your Facebook friends

Please feel free to edit this wiki with any other notes or ideas or things we should know.
Print Wikipost

What to do with unused 2014 upgrade codes (no offers/trading here)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by mr_sparky
Probably wrong place to gripe, but I'm an infrequent poster and therefore unable to see the Coupon forum (or to see if folks have unused codes they're giving away). I've actually given codes away in prior years via this forum. I assume that, rules being what they are, I'm SOL. However, I'd appreciate suggestions if there is another way to be part of the AS specific conversation regarding unused U codes.
I hear you as I too would like a couple of upgrades. I can view the coupon forum but there has been no giveaways posted without a trade to offer back. I'm not sure if this makes you feel better or not.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I've been able to give away exactly ZERO upgrades so far. U seats just haven't been available.

So if any of you who sent me your codes, would like them back, let me know. I'll be in the USO a couple more times before the end of the year, but I know I have more upgrades than I can find homes for.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I've been able to give away exactly ZERO upgrades so far. U seats just haven't been available.

So if any of you who sent me your codes, would like them back, let me know. I'll be in the USO a couple more times before the end of the year, but I know I have more upgrades than I can find homes for.
I can find some U in 2015 to burn them on
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:35 pm

Will there be a free for all on Dec 31 if there are no takers? I'll join in either way as a gifter or receiver since I need 2 for companion fare but I only have one... have black U on flight still...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I can find some U in 2015 to burn them on
+1

Those that need to them should go ahead and request them on Coupon Connection (since they are about to expire in a few weeks, it's perfectly fine to offer "Karma" in return)....kinda surprised there aren't more being offered there, especially since they started a thread specifically for giveaway (free) items like these.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
I have just passed the requirements for access to Coupon Connection. Does anyone know how long it takes to get approved? I've been a member for years but I typically just make a few posts per month so it's taken a long time to get to 180.

Hopefully it gets approved reasonably quickly. My pregnant wife and I are doing BLI-OGG in January so I know she'd appreciate the upgrade.
Just go to the "Community" forum at the top of the page, click on it, then page down and the "Coupon Connection" should appear about 3/4 of the way down.

God bless!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
...and the Coupon Connection does have lots of great people looking for AS codes. Just saying
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't even have access to the coupon connection. With so many experts with far more experience and information than I have I rarely have anything to add to a thread. While it says a lot about the excellent quality of the people here it makes it difficult to hit a post count for access. Is there no other way to screen people or is it meant as more of a reward?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ken98230
I don't even have access to the coupon connection. With so many experts with far more experience and information than I have I rarely have anything to add to a thread. While it says a lot about the excellent quality of the people here it makes it difficult to hit a post count for access. Is there no other way to screen people or is it meant as more of a reward?
It's meant to be a privilege granted to active members of the FlyerTalk community. It's hard to be part of a community if you never say anything! Your opinions and additions are always welcome, so please never hesitate to post, even if you feel you don't have anything to add. I guarantee that others will find your statements helpful.

If you don't feel you have anything factual to add to threads in this or other airline/hotel program forums, there are many threads around FlyerTalk that cater more to a social level of interaction. I've met and made many good friends in some of those threads. You might hang out in some of those for awhile and find they provide a good way to get to know other members of the community.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your suggestions.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Folks, I've had to delete some posts in this thread. Please take note of the statement in the wiki stating that all gifting, trading, and the like are to take place in The Coupon Connection. This thread should not be used to request or offer upgrade certificates.

If you do not qualify for access to The Coupon Connection, you are welcome to participate in the FlyerTalk community over the coming year and look forward to next year's giveaway. (And--there's a good chance you'll be able to take the knowledge you gain by participating on the forums here to learn how to achieve elite status on your own, and perhaps you'll have some of your own certificates to give away next year!)

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I can confirm what post #15 reported: I was able to use two Gold Upgrade codes that were set to expire 12/31/14 for travel in U space in March 2015. No problem applying them at all.

So these codes seem to play by the same rules as companion certificates and discount codes: They must be applied to a flight by their expiration date. Travel does not have to occur by the expiration date.
I also have some certs that will expire at the end of 12/31/2015. I won't be MVP Gold next year and won't be needing to use these certs until 2016. (yes I know 2016..)

I spoke to the MVP gold desk and they said the certs must be used to TRAVEL by 12/31/15 (not apply by 12/31/15 for future travel)

I clearly asked her, so if I book a ticket for 2016 before 12/31/15 and apply this certificate will it work?

She was admant it would not work. she was not confused on what I was asking. she was very clear.

So is she incorrect? Seems so based upon what I'm reading here. Or is it a glitch in the system that allows you to do this and AS doesn't care or doesn't bother to check?

Just want to make sure so these don't go to waste.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:41 pm

Last year I applied certs expiring 12/31/2013 for a flight on 5/5/2014.

Unless the ones ending 12/31/2015 have changed, I think it should work
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Never mind

Last edited by mr.brodie; Dec 25, 2014 at 7:57 am
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kayexalate
So is she incorrect? Seems so based upon what I'm reading here. Or is it a glitch in the system that allows you to do this and AS doesn't care or doesn't bother to check?
She is incorrect when it comes to certs that expire this month. Unless the rules change for the certs that expire a year from this month, she is incorrect for 2015, too.

She would be correct for the old paper certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.