Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can I check bag to connection airport only?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold

Heading from PDX-LAX on Alaska and then continue on to TPE on China Airlines. I will have 2 bags, but want one of them to stay in LAX where a family member will pick up during my 3+ hour layover.

Will Alaska do this? I'm thinking they may actually force me to collect my bags and re-check them with CI.

If it matters, this is an award ticket through Delta.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS should be able to short check your bags. It may be easier to just check both to LAX though and recheck them with CI.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I'm assuming that you're on two different PNRs? In which case is not even a situation of shortchecking bags, but rather through checking one of them
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Sounds like one ticket issued on 006 stock as an award.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:41 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
they should be able to just check you in to LAX. As far as splitting up the bags....never tried that one. I think its check all through or none. Just from a security standpoint Im not even sure its legal. If I was a CSA that wasnt an FTer or some savvy web info type traveler I'd find it a bit odd that 1 checked bag is retrieved at LAX while Im supposed to be checking another 1 through on an international flight. On another note you say the connection is just over 3 hours, should there end up being a delay into LAX of any length which makes making the CX flight tight you may end up with not enough time to retrieve bags and recheck them. As I think the minimum time to check in an international bag at LAX is 60 minutes

Last edited by ANC; Oct 31, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Just spend the money and UPS it to your family member's home. Saves them the time, hassle and expense of going to LAX to pick up a bag. And you're relieved of this dilemma.

Last edited by slopeboy40; Oct 31, 2014 at 5:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
they should be able to just check you in to LAX. As far as splitting up the bags....never tried that one. I think its check all through or none. Just from a security standpoint Im not even sure its legal. If I was a CSA that wasnt an FTer or some savvy web info type traveler I'd find it a bit odd that 1 checked bag is retrieved at LAX while Im supposed to be checking another 1 through on an international flight. On another note you say the connection is just over 3 hours, should there end up being a delay into LAX of any length which makes making the CX flight tight you may end up with not enough time to retrieve bags and recheck them. As I think the minimum time to check in an international bag at LAX is 60 minutes
Note that the op said CI which is Taiwanese based China Airlines who is not a partner of AS. I'm not sure if the two have codeshare agreements, but I'm assuming that op is traveling on two different reservations?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jona970318
Note that the op said CI which is Taiwanese based China Airlines who is not a partner of AS. I'm not sure if the two have codeshare agreements, but I'm assuming that op is traveling on two different reservations?
1. It is highly unlikely that AS will short-check bags on a connection. It is a red flag and will certainly raise security concerns.

2. Depending on the weight of the bag, it should cost no more than $25-30 to Fedex Ground the thing to the relatives in LA. That will likely be less than they spend on wasted time, parking and gas.

3. AS, of course, tickets CI. Has zippo to do with whether the two codeshare or are in the same alliance.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Often1
1. It is highly unlikely that AS will short-check bags on a connection. It is a red flag and will certainly raise security concerns.
They do it all the time. But it will be all or none.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Lots of replies, but still not sure. Maybe I'll just call AS and ask. This is one reservation PDX-LAX-TPE-BKK made through Delta as an award. It has 3 PNRs, although I had to request the CI PNR from Delta and the AS PNR from Alaska. My wife and I are both traveling so I could, if necessary, have her check 1 bag to LAX only and I check 2 bags all the way to BKK.

The bag I want to leave is actually an ice chest with 50# (max on Alaska vs. 70 # max on Delta) of frozen tuna. I already do this twice a year, but I'm always staying in LA. Shipping is not an option.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Lots of replies, but still not sure. Maybe I'll just call AS and ask. This is one reservation PDX-LAX-TPE-BKK made through Delta as an award. It has 3 PNRs, although I had to request the CI PNR from Delta and the AS PNR from Alaska. My wife and I are both traveling so I could, if necessary, have her check 1 bag to LAX only and I check 2 bags all the way to BKK.

The bag I want to leave is actually an ice chest with 50# (max on Alaska vs. 70 # max on Delta) of frozen tuna. I already do this twice a year, but I'm always staying in LA. Shipping is not an option.
Doesn't matter how many PNR's or how many reservations. All that matters is that this is on one ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Originally Posted by Often1
They do it all the time. But it will be all or none.
Makes sense.

I've short checked stuff before ANC-SEA-ZZZ. The cxn time in SEA was a bit short, but was ultimately successful. Be sure you allow extra time for issues with this.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT

That clears up a lot of things. The fact that you are on one ticket may complicate things a little. I don't think there is a clear guideline, so I think it's totally at the discretion of the agent. I think it would be better for you and your wife to check the bags separately. YMMV
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:53 am
ANC

Originally Posted by jona970318
That clears up a lot of things. The fact that you are on one ticket may complicate things a little. I don't think there is a clear guideline, so I think it's totally at the discretion of the agent. I think it would be better for you and your wife to check the bags separately. YMMV
If they are both on 1 PNR its still probably going to be all bags or no bags claimed at LAX. Essentially what will happen is that they wont check you in for the CI flight and you will claim all your bags at LAX and then go check in with CI.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:59 am
ANC

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Just spend the money and UPS it to your family member's home. Saves them the time, hassle and expense of going to LAX to pick up a bag. And you're relieved of this dilemma.
Should be able to goldstreak it for about $45. Not sure how much it will be shipping 50 pounds through UPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.