Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS & UA Partnership?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
First: as the OP, I'm going to call BS on this as I've heard nothing previously.

A colleague of mine whom I hold in the highest regard, heard last night from a flight attendant or gate agent on her way back to Portland ( I'm still trying to verify the details of her story) that AS and DL are ending their partnership, primarily because AS is entering into a partnership with UA.

Since I've not even heard rumors of an AS/UA hookup, I'm filing this with the typical FA-with-no-knowledge bucket.

Has anyone else heard anything like this??
I have heard rumblings of a limited codeshare or other tie in. United has scaled back in Pacific Northwest and no longer has routes between the smaller cities acting as feeders on Skywest. There is some talk of Horizon flights picking up this.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Would this involve RDM's and such?

AA and DL had something ex-LAX before...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:15 pm

It'd be nice if it happened, but I won't hold my breath. It would mean (for me) the following:

* More opportunity to fly AS, as UA flies PWM-ORD/EWR, where AS could connect me to SEA/PDX. Depending on the day of the week, I'd take a 1 stop ex-PWM over a nonstop from BOS.

* Presuming a full partnership, the ability to use Ultimate Rewards points to book flights on AS metal (via UA awards).

The thing is, I'm not sure why AS would go for this. I can see why UA would want the partnership, as they have a weak NW network. But for AS, why not just wait until AA and US combine into AA, or even partner with US in the meantime? That would give AS a superior east coast network, particularly the mid-atlantic and the northeast, where it's hard to say anyone is stronger than US. I'm not really seeing what a UA partnership does for AS other than provide east coast connectivity that isn't as good as AA/US.

I suppose they could partner with UA and get the benefits of the AA/US merger eventually, but why?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
When the FA mentioned United, I wonder if they were thinking of Silver Airways? AS signed an interline partnership a few days ago. Silver used to operate flights under the United Express name (maybe still does?)

http://www.silverairways.com/about-s...erline-partner

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 24, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:12 am

That's interesting - my buddy who lives in SFO just visited me this past weekend here in SEA. When he sent me his UA itinerary I was surprised/shocked to see that his return flight was on AS metal, operated as a code share with, yeah, UA. So I can confirm that this is really happening. I was as surprised as anyone.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by zs58
That's interesting - my buddy who lives in SFO just visited me this past weekend here in SEA. When he sent me his UA itinerary I was surprised/shocked to see that his return flight was on AS metal, operated as a code share with, yeah, UA. So I can confirm that this is really happening. I was as surprised as anyone.
UA has been selling flights on CX, BA, AS and many other non-partners for a while now. Are you sure it was a codeshare? care to share the flight number?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
This is simply not true. You must have mis-read the itinerary.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
interline =! codeshare.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
It is already possible to use Chase URs for award travel on AS, by converting to Avionics, calling BA. In fact, such redemptions can be an excellent value, as they are mileage based.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.