Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Flying AS from Hawaii? Help Transport a Shelter Pet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:10 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

We are looking for volunteers flying to San Diego, Portland, Seattle, or Oakland on nonstop Alaska Airlines flights from Lihue!

As an open admission shelter, we accept every homeless, abandoned, abused and unwanted animal. Each year, we accept approximately 7,000 animals. Unfortunately, the number of homes available to abandoned pets on Kauai is limited by the size of our island community. Our Pet Transfer Program helps save lives by sending dogs to mainland shelters with more exposure and high adoption rates.

Our Pet Transfer Program has sent more than 400 animals to mainland shelters via Alaska Airlines since the start of the program in December 2012.

http://kauaihumane.org/volunteer/pettransfer
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
This is awesome and has me considering taking a flight to Hawaii just to help out, as The Dumb Friends League, The Humane Society, and other like organizations are pretty near and dear to me.

Thanks for passing the info on, Missy!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have a couple of upcoming flights from HNL, one through PDX and the other could be either PDX or SEA. I know you said Lihue but if I can help in any way from HNL, just say the word. If I can swing it that I have an extra day, I could reroute and take a side trip to Lihue just to pick up a pooch if that's the only way it can work.

I work with animal rescues and would love to help.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
So as a passenger agreeing to this program, what does one need to do? It sounds like they drop off the pet and cover the $100 fee? And do they pick it up too?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by beckoa
So as a passenger agreeing to this program, what does one need to do? It sounds like they drop off the pet and cover the $100 fee? And do they pick it up too?
The language on the website says "All you have to do is show up for your flight as scheduled, we do the rest!"
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by dgreen12
The language on the website says "All you have to do is show up for your flight as scheduled, we do the rest!"
I saw that...seems almost too easy.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I saw that...seems almost too easy.
Almost makes me want to fly to Hawaii to check it out.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Just in time for national dog day (today)!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
Wish I could!! I dont have any flights headed there for a while. If they do a special I would consider a MR.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:44 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
This is what our internal website says

“The whole process is super-easy and hassle-free,” Graff says. “The volunteer only has to be responsible for the dog should there be any diversion or emergency, which has never happened before. The only situation we've encountered is when a flight cancels and in that case, a Humane Society member just returns for the animal.”

Here's a video I found on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzNOXKvaOTQ

Maui has a similar program called Wings of Aloha

http://www.mauihumanesociety.org/con...scription.html

I couldn't find any info on Oahu, but it can't hurt to call Hawaii Humane and see if they have a similar need.

I also believe that in some cases, the shelters will let you "borrow" a dog for your stay on the islands. I remember reading an article a few months ago, but I can't find it now.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
This seems like perhaps Mr. Kipper and I should look at taking a trip!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If only flights were included. Id do it twice a month
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I also believe that in some cases, the shelters will let you "borrow" a dog for your stay on the islands. I remember reading an article a few months ago, but I can't find it now.
Also the Kauai Humane Society!

I was able to take a really great little dog out for the day back in May. They give you a vest, leash, treats, water, towels, etc., for a fun day out for the dog and humans alike.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I will be in Kauai over New Year for a friend's wedding. Would this offer be good to ANC also?@:-)
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
I will be in Kauai over New Year for a friend's wedding. Would this offer be good to ANC also?@:-)
Or can one short-check the dog on these extended trips?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.