Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Where on the AS website does it show air miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I'm contemplating doing my very first ever mileage run for Gold.

I've found some flights, at a good price, but it's cutting it very, very close (I'll hit 40,210 if my calculations are correct).

However, that's using the miles calculator on WebFlyer. But I figured I MUST check AS in case AS uses a slightly different measuring. I would hate to be 100 miles short. But can't seem to find where they indicate how many miles...help?

And do you all think spending <$400 is worth it to get Gold?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

I've found some flights, at a good price, but it's cutting it very, very close (I'll hit 40,210 if my calculations are correct).

However, that's using the miles calculator on WebFlyer. But I figured I MUST check AS in case AS uses a slightly different measuring. I would hate to be 100 miles short. But can't seem to find where they indicate how many miles...help?

The only way to see the miles is to put the flight in your shopping cart as if you were going to purchase. You'll be able to see them before you ever get to putting in your credit card info. That being said, it is NOT an accurate number for some strange reason. For example, SEA-ANC will show at 1,444 miles but you will earn 1,448. If you're going to cut it that close it would probably be best to post your route and perhaps someone can let you know from past travels exactly what you will earn.

And for less than $400, you'll want the gold.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

Yes, i think it's worth $400 to go for the gold.

One way of seeing the miles attributable to AS flights is to download the timetable. Choose your destinations from "Flight Schedules (click to expand)" and you'll see them there.

{deleted - duplicative!}

Good luck with your own personal gold rush!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by dave1013
One way of seeing the miles attributable to AS flights is to download the timetable. Choose your destinations from "Flight Schedules (click to expand)" and you'll see them there.
I thought I would take a look and oddly enough the timetable shows 1,446 for SEA-ANC. So that's 3 different numbers for my bread-and-butter run.

Maybe they'll clean this up in the mileage plan downtime.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I use this to estimate where I'm likely to be at the end of the year:

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/

It's usually off by a couple of miles (but not hundreds of miles).

For example, it's showing SEA-ANC at 1,440 miles.

And yes, for that cost you should go for Gold. Better shot at upgrades and no change fees.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

thanks all so far - another question.

I'm going to have to switch an upcoming flight (on AA metal, getting AA miles), to substituting my AS number (my husband is AA gold, so he "got" us the fancy seats on AA, he will not be doing the MR with me, he will keep the res as is)...

anyway, my question now is:

For those flights on AA, will AS give me the same mileage as indicated on the AA website for the flights? I think "yes" but I want to be sure.

Oh, and my husband threw another ditty into the mix...he said "didn't you want to go see Paul? Isn't he playing in Dallas right around the time you're planning to do this?"...well, um, YEAH (YEAH, YEAH, YEAH )...so NOW does a Mileage Run make sense when you're adding another $500 onto it? (reseller tickets).

Or should I stick with a boring old trip to DFW and back?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I'll add my yes to the others about going for Gold. I hit it for the first time at the very end of last year and it more than paid for a <$400 MR (if that is what it would have taken to get there) in the first month. In fact, I did 2 same day turns to LAX in Feb for the double EQM's just to ensure I made it again this year.

But that's the downfall; once you've had it, you just can never let it go again. For me, it was the free changes that make the most difference. And if you think the FA's are nice to you now as an MVP, just wait 'till you are Gold. I'm like an addict and AS is my dealer; they got me hooked on Gold and I have to keep chasing that high every year. All part of their cunning plan, I'm sure! Fortunately, it's easy for me to requalify (and it is all personal travel on my own dime). Go for it.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Just remember,

• AS flights only, Gold = 40,000 miles
  • AS flights with partner flights, Gold = 50,000 miles

If you're counting the AA flight towards your 40,000 mile requirement, you won't hit your goal (because your goal is 50,000 miles if you use partner flights to get Gold).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Yes, I was planning on switching out my AA number for my AS number.

Since my AA Gold husband is primary on the reservation, I don't think it should affect our seats, or sticker upgrade request, should it?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Make sure you understand what dgreen12 said: if you are on an AA ticket and crediting to AS you will need 50,000 points to hit gold, not 40,000. The 40,000 is only for all-AS travel. Make sure you know how many you need for each bucket so you aren't surprised when the AA tickets don't get you gold.

Neil
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:23 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I tend to find that whatever the distance AS has posted, they add from 2 to 5 miles to it. If you are projected to be over by 210 miles Id say your safely cushioned. As mentioned the calculations arent off 100s or even more than 10 off per flight
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:24 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
I thought I would take a look and oddly enough the timetable shows 1,446 for SEA-ANC. So that's 3 different numbers for my bread-and-butter run.

Maybe they'll clean this up in the mileage plan downtime.
interesting. never seen the 1446 figure before
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Oh, that's right. Thank you, thank you. I did misunderstand that.

Well, that changes everything.

Thanks for saving me $400 and a lot of heartache.

Hey, MVP has been good to us, not bad for all-leisure travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.