Wiki Posts
Search

First weird FC moment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
First weird FC moment

I've been flying every week for months, so it was going to happen eventually.... My first weird moment on an AS flight. Here's what happened-

I used a gold upgrade certificate (thanks Scott) to get 2c from LAX to SEA. I board last and notice a guy is seated in my spot, seatbelted in, ready to go and sipping on a FC cup of water.

I politely asked the FA to boot him, but the gentlemen comes up to the cockpit door and starts trying to negotiate with her for my seat. When it didn't work, he asked her if he could buy a FC seat.

It made me wonder if my "board last strategy" needs rethinking. I've always though It was best to board last and avoid the germ transfer of everyone walking past me in close proximity.

Has anyone else been offered cash for their seat? When do you board?

Safe travels,

John
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Lol, is it April Fools day in August?

Truly bizarre. You didn't want to sell him your seat then? How much would you have taken, out of interest?

If you have a disdain for the riffraff walking past in the aisle, why not book a window seat?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:05 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I used to wait and board about 20 minutes until departure but I found that all the seat poaching was unacceptable, although it was always from someone already in F in another seat that must have preferred mine for either their own personal preferences or to sit by a friend or sig other. The other issue is overhead stowage, if you wait until toward boarding last, not only are all the F pax already stowing luggage...the people in 6F, 8D, 21E, 15B and 27A have thrown their crap in the F bins and your stuff ends up in row 12. I certainly dont board last because they could give the seat up to someone else theoretically if you fart around too long and assume you are a no show
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
I take the same approach as ANC here. I would prefer to board at the very last minute but having done so one too many times finding no available overhead space or having someone in my seat assuming I will trade, I just deal with the scrum and board early.

Never been offered $ for my seat, though.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
For that flight, $500 would have done it for me unless it was for a middle seat.

YMMV
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
Great question.

I would take $200 if the exchange seat was an isle, $300 for a window and $500 for a middle seat.

Anyone heading to ONT next week? I will pay $100 cash for your FC seat.
John
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Starwood PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ANC
I used to wait and board about 20 minutes until departure but I found that all the seat poaching was unacceptable, although it was always from someone already in F in another seat that must have preferred mine for either their own personal preferences or to sit by a friend or sig other. The other issue is overhead stowage, if you wait until toward boarding last, not only are all the F pax already stowing luggage...the people in 6F, 8D, 21E, 15B and 27A have thrown their crap in the F bins and your stuff ends up in row 12. I certainly dont board last because they could give the seat up to someone else theoretically if you fart around too long and assume you are a no show
This certainly could be due to the airports (SEA, BOS, EWR, MSP, LAX, SFO and DFW are my common destinations) I fly into, but when I'm in FC and can't find space up front I kindly ask for an 'orange' tag for my bag. So that I can receive my bag at the door when we arrive. You usually wait 3-5 minutes in the jet way after arriving but it saves the 20+ minute way at baggage claim.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
On a different carrier I one time tried to board only to find ome one in my seat....we had been assign the same seat but she tried to fly the earlier flight.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:34 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by djp98374
On a different carrier I one time tried to board only to find ome one in my seat....we had been assign the same seat but she tried to fly the earlier flight.
how did they get past the gate agent
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I now also get on first, tired of pissing me off more than once when my my wife and I traveling then had to boot two people back to their split up seats so we could sit together in our own assigned seats. One time a couple refused, and expected us to split up, had to get the gate agent involved and it got nasty. Happens too often on vacation destination flights such as LAS and PSP.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I now also get on first, tired of pissing me off more than once when my my wife and I traveling then had to boot two people back to their split up seats so we could sit together in our own assigned seats. One time a couple refused, and expected us to split up, had to get the gate agent involved and it got nasty. Happens too often on vacation destination flights such as LAS and PSP.
When it gets nasty is the point at which these clowns should be removed.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
how did they get past the gate agent
Let's just say that the boarding pass scanner may only validate the seat assignment...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I wouldn't be surprised if maybe this guy has pulled this act before on other airlines and managed to enjoy a free pre-departure cocktail or two before he was discovered and booted.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Let's just say that the boarding pass scanner may only validate the seat assignment...
I don't think this is uniformly true. In a rush once or twice, I've definitely accidentally tried to board the wrong flight and had the boarding pass scanner turn red and beep at me.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by billatq
Originally Posted by formeraa
I don't think this is uniformly true. In a rush once or twice, I've definitely accidentally tried to board the wrong flight and had the boarding pass scanner turn red and beep at me.
Maybe that seat had boarded already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.