Wiki Posts
Search

737-900 - which seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

737-900 - which seats?

Hi

Doing an SEA-EWR R/T in a couple of months. I am pretty sure that I have a nearly zero chance of scoring a MVPG UG so I'm looking for seat suggestions. I am 6'2" so I usually go for legroom when I can which means row 6 and 17A & 17F . .

How are those on the -900? Are there seats I should stay away from?

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by snicko
Hi

Doing an SEA-EWR R/T in a couple of months. I am pretty sure that I have a nearly zero chance of scoring a MVPG UG so I'm looking for seat suggestions. I am 6'2" so I usually go for legroom when I can which means row 6 and 17A & 17F . .

How are those on the -900? Are there seats I should stay away from?

Thanks
after 5.5 hours in Y on a 737, you're going to want to be close to the first one off the plane. I say 6.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
after 5.5 hours in Y on a 737, you're going to want to be close to the first one off the plane. I say 6.
Agree with the above. 6 is the way to go.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:00 am

737-900 - which seats?

I am assuming you are taking 900ER. In that case you will have Recaro seats (possibly with in-seat power) Row 6 will have the soft class divider curtain in front of you with 40" pitch but narrower seats due to in-arm food trays. Row 16 and 17 are 38" pitch with row 16 having no recline and row 17 having full recline. Personally, grab 17A/F if you want a window or 17C/D if you want an aisle.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
I am assuming you are taking 900ER. In that case you will have Recaro seats (possibly with in-seat power) Row 6 will have the soft class divider curtain in front of you with 40" pitch but narrower seats due to in-arm food trays. Row 16 and 17 are 38" pitch with row 16 having no recline and row 17 having full recline. Personally, grab 17A/F if you want a window or 17C/D if you want an aisle.
Concur with this^

I didn't realize that row 6 was 40" pitch. I'll take the 38" pitch plus extra width myself...especially with an empty middle
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Don't forget that it gets cold by the emergency exits. Personally I prefer 6C/D on the SEA-EWR run and 6A/6F on the way back so I can nap against the window. That 7:10am departure is harsh.

And you're right, you won't get the upgrade Last time I flew that route I think I was #45 on the list.

Neil
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
I am 6'-2" as well and ALWAYS take 17 over 6. I like that 16 can't recline, I like the wider seats, and I like the full-size tray that I can push way forward and watch my movie (I despise those tiny in-arm trays).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Having a colder exit row seat is also a plus ^ A/c are kept too warm for my tastes in general.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Concur with this^

I didn't realize that row 6 was 40" pitch. I'll take the 38" pitch plus extra width myself...especially with an empty middle
Thanks!

Huh - I thought it was a -900 and not the -900ER but a quick look at as.com confirmed that it is the ER. On a side note, Seat Guru thinks its a -800. . . hah

Since it looks like there's no hard divider between F and J, I'll go with 6A or 6F. The extra legroom is more important than pitch for me. I've been in the Recaro seats in row 6 on a -800 before. They were OK 'ish. . .

I'll check out row 17 when I get on in SEA. If it looks comfy, I'll be tempted to try it on the way back...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Did I forget to mention taht I have an LAX -> SEA leg before? I'm gonna be BEGGING to be let off the plane by the time we reach EWR..

..Its my creative way to do a MR. I"m willing to suck it up and suffer instead of taking AA or DL direct LAX-> (EWR|JFK) . .

Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
Don't forget that it gets cold by the emergency exits. Personally I prefer 6C/D on the SEA-EWR run and 6A/6F on the way back so I can nap against the window. That 7:10am departure is harsh.

And you're right, you won't get the upgrade Last time I flew that route I think I was #45 on the list.

Neil
My 100% upgrade streak this year was broken on AS521 last week. After 25 segments, I ended up in 17F (all of 6 was taken). I didn't notice the cold to be honest. It was no warmer / cooler than other seats...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by snicko
Thanks!

Huh - I thought it was a -900 and not the -900ER but a quick look at as.com confirmed that it is the ER. On a side note, Seat Guru thinks its a -800. . . hah

Since it looks like there's no hard divider between F and J, I'll go with 6A or 6F. The extra legroom is more important than pitch for me. I've been in the Recaro seats in row 6 on a -800 before. They were OK 'ish. . .

I'll check out row 17 when I get on in SEA. If it looks comfy, I'll be tempted to try it on the way back...
Huh? Row 6 not only has more pitch at 40", but more legroom since there is no wall...the only downside is the slightly reduced seat width...so it seems like you made the better choice, especially if you actually want to look out the window. My biggest complaint about exit row windows is that they almost always have the most obstructed view of any seat due to being over the wing.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Huh? Row 6 not only has more pitch at 40", but more legroom since there is no wall...the only downside is the slightly reduced seat width...so it seems like you made the better choice, especially if you actually want to look out the window. My biggest complaint about exit row windows is that they almost always have the most obstructed view of any seat due to being over the wing.
Thanks for the correction, I read the prev post backasswards.

I have narrow hips so the narrower seat doesn't bother me...
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
does the 40 inch figure hold for row 6 in both the 900 and the 900 ER?

Are there any 900s or 900 ERs that have any different configurations ie legroom in F or Y or are they all the same?

Thanks for any and all info!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:20 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by thumbelina
Are there any 900s or 900 ERs that have any different configurations ie legroom in F or Y or are they all the same?

Thanks for any and all info!
900's are being converted so by the time AS is done there won't be much different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.