Search

Best Club/Board Room Access Card?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond
Best Club/Board Room Access Card?

Hi all,

I'm going to by flying out of LAX and SNA (Orange County) with DL/AS A LOT in the next year for a new job. I know AS does not have a Board Room at SNA-the only Club Rooms are with UA and AA.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what may be the best credit card/pass/etc that would allow me access to all clubs at these locations (LAX-DL & AS, SNA-UA/AA) without having to fly on that airline?

I've already checked out Priority Pass (good at a lot of locations but no AS Board Room) and Citi Executive MasterCard (includes Admirals Club access-do not have to fly AA-but no AS Board Room). It gets pretty pricey to purchase a Board Room Membership AND one of these. Is there any better option?

Much thanks for any thoughts on this topic!

Mark
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:34 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

AMEX Platinum card is the way to go for you. Gets you in AA lounge in SNA, AS BR and DL SC in LAX.

Granted the annual fee is a bit steep, but you get $200 annual airline statement credit which does ease the sting.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mark diver
Hi all,
I've already checked out Priority Pass (good at a lot of locations but no AS Board Room)
Priority Pass grants access to all AS Boardrooms. I have been very satisfied with my membership this year and have yet to visit an airport that does not have a lounge included in the network (PUQ I was most surprised to have a lounge). This isn't a drawback if most of your travel is alone, but it does cost money to bring guests with you ($25).

The Amex Plat includes a Priority Pass Select membership so you will still have access to the Boardrooms but the Select membership will not grant access to any UA clubs, which IME is what I go to mostly, at least domestically.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kwl747
This isn't a drawback if most of your travel is alone, but it does cost money to bring guests with you ($25).
I believe the current amount is $27 per guest. If most of your travel is with a guest, you could get them a supplementary card for $175.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
AMEX Platinum card is the way to go for you. Gets you in AA lounge in SNA, AS BR and DL SC in LAX.

Granted the annual fee is a bit steep, but you get $200 annual airline statement credit which does ease the sting.
Thank you for the reply Golfingboy. May I ask where you see the card includes access to the Admirals Lounge? I do not see it anywhere on the website-only US and DL.

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge.../Platinum-Card
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwl747
Priority Pass grants access to all AS Boardrooms. I have been very satisfied with my membership this year and have yet to visit an airport that does not have a lounge included in the network (PUQ I was most surprised to have a lounge). This isn't a drawback if most of your travel is alone, but it does cost money to bring guests with you ($25).

The Amex Plat includes a Priority Pass Select membership so you will still have access to the Boardrooms but the Select membership will not grant access to any UA clubs, which IME is what I go to mostly, at least domestically.
Thanks for reply and good point about AS Board Rooms on the PP. Somehow I overlooked that. Sure seems like the way to go compared with an AS Board Room Membership (if traveling solo for the most part which I am). And yes I do realize the Select does not include UA's Red Carpet Club any more.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by u2g0d
I believe the current amount is $27 per guest. If most of your travel is with a guest, you could get them a supplementary card for $175.
Yes, $27.00 is the confirmed price for a guest on the Priority Pass/Select.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thank you for the reply Golfingboy. May I ask where you see the card includes access to the Admirals Lounge? I do not see it anywhere on the website-only US and DL.

?! Did they get rid of AA lounge access without even making a proper announcement?! Or did I miss the announcement?

If so, MAJOR downgrade.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:19 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jackal
?! Did they get rid of AA lounge access without even making a proper announcement?! Or did I miss the announcement?

If so, MAJOR downgrade.
Jackal, no need to fret

More Information

AMEX Plats and Centurions can and still will have access to the AA lounges. Hard to beat this option when it grants access to DL, AA, US and AS clubs.

Last edited by golfingboy; Oct 23, 2013 at 6:27 am
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: DL GM
Keep in mind that the Amex Platinum card only lets you into DL Skyclubs when flying DL and AAdmirals Clubs when flying AA.

This is the one reason that I haven't gotten the Amex Plat, as it doesn't help me when flying AS out of BOS.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:45 am

Please note that Amex Plat lets you into AA and DL lounges only with a same day boarding pass on that airline. US Club access is ok no matter who you fly. The included Priority Pass provides AS Board Room access.

UA lounges are going to be on their own. You'll need a full paid PP membership, the UA Club card, a UA Club membership or (for now) a US Club membership to get in. The PP that comes with Amex Plat excludes UA lounges, and the US lounge access is not a full membership.

Since it sounds like you're going to fly AS and DL a lot out of LAX, the Amex Platinum will cover most of what you're doing. There isn't a great option at SNA - even paid AS lounge members don't get access to the AA lounge there, and there is no DL club that you'd otherwise get. If you're there often enough, a paid UA membership would be a good complement since the combo of Amex Plat and a paid UA Club membership cover a lot. That or a paid PP membership that allows UA clubs as well.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Oct 23, 2013 at 8:57 am
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy

You could try the AMEX Platinum for a year with the annual fee waved and see how you like it....

https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.