Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

473 diverts to PDX - pilot medical emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._river_default

Sincerely hope he/she is ok!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Wow. Hope everything turns out ok
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Very glad everyone is alright. A colleague of mine was on the plane, too.

http://avherald.com/h?article=45d14284&opt=0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Appears that he might have dined at one of the less than stellar dining establishments near LAX...

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...lots-collapse/
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by JPat
Appears that he might have dined at one of the less than stellar dining establishments near LAX...

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...lots-collapse/
Glad to hear the pilot is OK but if he was feeling that bad he probably should have called in sick for the day (unless it was one of those that came out of nowhere).
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA G, AS 75k, IHG Plt
Doctors suspect food poisoning or a flu virus caused an Alaska Airlines captain to pass out on a Seattle-bound flight last night, according to an airline spokesman.
I just finished a bout with this flu virus, and can attest that it came on strong and very fast. At 11a Tuesday I was completely fine with only a minor cough to complain about. By 3p the same day symptoms were full blown, nausea, dizziness, aches, fever.... the lot. I could barely stand.

If this turns out to be the cause I couldn't blame the Captain for heading into work that day or for thinking he/she could get through the flight and get home when symptoms started.

Thankfully the First Officer was a well trained veteran and landed the aircraft without incident. Nice work!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ristretto
Thankfully the First Officer was a well trained veteran and landed the aircraft without incident. Nice work!
I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why everyone is making such a big deal about the copilot landing the plane. Copilots land planes all the time. Of course the copilot could land the plane safely.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by JPat
Appears that he might have dined at one of the less than stellar dining establishments near LAX.
Original Tommy's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Tommy's
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA G, AS 75k, IHG Plt
Originally Posted by jackal
I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why everyone is making such a big deal about the copilot landing the plane. Copilots land planes all the time. Of course the copilot could land the plane safely.
Valid point. I didn't mean to imply that the copilot was in any way less than qualified to land an aircraft. Having your pilot pass out mid-flight is an exceptional situation that could have caused panic in many people. This pilot was not one of those.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ristretto
Valid point. I didn't mean to imply that the copilot was in any way less than qualified to land an aircraft. Having your pilot pass out mid-flight is an exceptional situation that could have caused panic in many people. This pilot was not one of those.
Wasn't just you; I quoted you for convenience, but I was mostly expressing confusion over all the news reports that seemed to emphasize that even more strongly than you did.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I saw this in October on a United flight. Was sitting in first and the pilot stumbled back into the cabin, then fainted in front of passengers. Several flight attendants were there to catch him as he collapsed, and he rested the duration of the flight in coach. No panic, no diversion and I don't believe it made the news.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I've never had any flight training, but I know a few of the FT folks here have. From what I understand autopilot can do some amazing things, including landing the plane.

I know pilots are supposed to eat separate meals to avoid this, but let's say both these pilots got sick and passed out. If autopilot had been engaged is there any way the plane would continued on course, making adjustments when needed, and landed the plane without incident?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sefoley27
I've never had any flight training, but I know a few of the FT folks here have. From what I understand autopilot can do some amazing things, including landing the plane.

I know pilots are supposed to eat separate meals to avoid this, but let's say both these pilots got sick and passed out. If autopilot had been engaged is there any way the plane would continued on course, making adjustments when needed, and landed the plane without incident?
Well, things aren't THAT automated. The FMC would have the route programmed in, that would navigate the airplane to the airport, assuming the appropriate functions were activated on the MCP. To do the CAT III ILS approach and autoland, though the computer does the actual 'flying' the pilot is still required to complete many supporting functions including but not limited to: tune the nav radios, set appropriate speeds, extend flaps, lower landing gear, arm spoilers, set autobrakes, and upon touchdown apply reverse thrust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.