Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com:

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If its not on the award chart its not allowed.
  • No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
  • Otherwise open jaw or stopover allowed on each round trip award.
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. Build open jaw and other advance routing by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR.
  • No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Eastern
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:01 am
Original Member

Is the $100 change fee for partner awards on AS waived for MVP Gold?

QL
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by QuietLion
Is the $100 change fee for partner awards on AS waived for MVP Gold?

QL
Y

Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
CX award tickets on AS miles are hard to get, especially in short notice.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
CX award tickets on AS miles are hard to get, especially in short notice.
How so?

CX last minute availability on the premium cabin seats is GREAT for the North America - Hong Kong routes. SFO-HKG routinely comes up 4 or more F seats almost every day starting 7 days to departure. I have seen 7, 8 out of 9 seats are available. Incredible. JFK almost always have at least 1 F available on each flight, more often than not 2 or more. YVR, ORD and YYZ all often have last minute availability though not as abundant as SFO, nor JFK. Only LAX is very hard to get.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Happy
How so?

CX last minute availability on the premium cabin seats is GREAT for the North America - Hong Kong routes. SFO-HKG routinely comes up 4 or more F seats almost every day starting 7 days to departure. I have seen 7, 8 out of 9 seats are available. Incredible. JFK almost always have at least 1 F available on each flight, more often than not 2 or more. YVR, ORD and YYZ all often have last minute availability though not as abundant as SFO, nor JFK. Only LAX is very hard to get.
Agreed. Absolutely no problem redeeming for CX F tickets.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
how about coach availability?

Only LAX is very hard to get.
I am hoping to book on CX using AS miles, but only in coach. Is it also hard to get coach seats from LAX? (I'm trying to plan our first Thailand trip, so I'm hoping for LAX to Hong Kong, 2 day stop over, and then continue on to BKK.
I'm thinking of going in November 2013, which I know is the beginning of peak season, so I'm curious as to how difficult it will be to get 2 coach tickets.)

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For whomever didn't get CX F seats because I recently took a trip with an AS CX award, na na na na na. All I can say is keep up the effort, it is worth it (although I've only taken one flight segment so far). A tough call whether CX or LH F is better - both have their touches that make one better than the other in certain respects.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Got 2 Fs for my wife and me with a stopover in JFK. This would be great.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashley1245
I am hoping to book on CX using AS miles, but only in coach. Is it also hard to get coach seats from LAX? (I'm trying to plan our first Thailand trip, so I'm hoping for LAX to Hong Kong, 2 day stop over, and then continue on to BKK.
I'm thinking of going in November 2013, which I know is the beginning of peak season, so I'm curious as to how difficult it will be to get 2 coach tickets.)

Thanks for any help!
Dont know about coach. But I can imagine coach is actually more difficult to get than First class because CX often flies full to the gill in its coach section on most longhaul flights.

You can watch the availability for Nov 2012 and get a feel how it may go.

Sign yourself up a JL FF account, then use JL's award booking engine to search the coach award flying CX between North America and Hong Kong.

You dont need to fly from LAX. AS would transport you on AS flight between LAX-SFO, or between LAX-YVR - you can fly to HKG from SFO or YVR. I dont know if AS would let you fly LAX-JFK-HKG, which is a valid routing for CX, and bookable using AA miles. Dont know if AS allows such though. CX also flies to Hong Kong from YYZ and ORD.

The AS experts here may be able to give you more info, or you can call AS partner desk to ask if it is possible to fly LAX-XXX-HKG.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gbsaco
Thanks guys! Got 2 Fs for my wife and me with a stopover in JFK. This would be great.
What is your exact itinerary? This would help us to know what routing AS allows, assuming you are using AS miles.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

You dont need to fly from LAX. AS would transport you on AS flight between LAX-SFO, or between LAX-YVR - you can fly to HKG from SFO or YVR. I dont know if AS would let you fly LAX-JFK-HKG, which is a valid routing for CX, and bookable using AA miles. Dont know if AS allows such though. CX also flies to Hong Kong from YYZ and ORD.
AS does NOT fly LAX-SFO any longer (eliminated that route some years ago). They do fly LAX-SJC, and I can personally attest that they will consider SJC/OAK/SFO as coterminals for CX awards (but that still means you have to get from SJC or OAK to SFO, or vice versa).

AS also does NOT allow mixed partners on awards*, so you can't have AA and CX on the same award (so AA can't fly you to ORD or YYZ from LAX to connect to CX on an AS award)- the only airline you can use to get to a partner gateway is AS. They also don't allow backtracking, generally, which probably means an itinerary of LAX-SEA-ORD(AS)-HKG(CX) isn't going to be allowed on one award (AS does not fly to YYZ, and I don't think they allow XXX-SEA-EWR//JFK-HKG routings).

* one exception: AF/KL are considered as if they are one partner for awards.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS does NOT fly LAX-SFO any longer (eliminated that route some years ago). They do fly LAX-SJC, and I can personally attest that they will consider SJC/OAK/SFO as coterminals for CX awards (but that still means you have to get from SJC or OAK to SFO, or vice versa).

AS also does NOT allow mixed partners on awards*, so you can't have AA and CX on the same award (so AA can't fly you to ORD or YYZ from LAX to connect to CX on an AS award)- the only airline you can use to get to a partner gateway is AS. They also don't allow backtracking, generally, which probably means an itinerary of LAX-SEA-ORD(AS)-HKG(CX) isn't going to be allowed on one award (AS does not fly to YYZ, and I don't think they allow XXX-SEA-EWR//JFK-HKG routings).

* one exception: AF/KL are considered as if they are one partner for awards.
I would not assume AS not allow the bolded routings until actually talk to the partner desk. You never know until you actually ask and are told yes or no.

What I suggested to the poster who asked the question is, CX flies from these gateways - it may be necessary for the poster to have position flights in case he needs to - depends on of course whether it makes sense - say, if he happens to have families in ORD or YYZ, then he could do a positional flight to visit them, then use the AS award to HKG. On return he can have an open jaw to go home.

When it comes to award redemption, one needs to be creative and think outside the box in order to expand the options available.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I would not assume AS not allow the bolded routings until actually talk to the partner desk. You never know until you actually ask and are told yes or no.

What I suggested to the poster who asked the question is, CX flies from these gateways - it may be necessary for the poster to have position flights in case he needs to - depends on of course whether it makes sense - say, if he happens to have families in ORD or YYZ, then he could do a positional flight to visit them, then use the AS award to HKG. On return he can have an open jaw to go home.

When it comes to award redemption, one needs to be creative and think outside the box in order to expand the options available.
The restrictions mentioned in eponymous_coward's post have been confirmed here on FT by someone who used to work at the Partner Desk.

That said, it doesn't hurt to try, but don't get your hopes up too much that it'll work. Several here have asked and been told no, IIRC.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Along with what jackal mentioned, read the OP's post:

I'm trying to plan our first Thailand trip, so I'm hoping for LAX to Hong Kong, 2 day stop over, and then continue on to BKK.
Can't open jaw with a stopover on an AS award on CX- AS allows one or the other, not both. (I also know this from personal experience.)

Adding paid coach positioning flights onto the award is certainly possible, but also note the OP is discussing two people, and this expense reduces the value of the award, since now you're shelling out cash for tickets to do the LAX-XXX segment that you could just use to pay for LAX-BKK flights (plus the extra time you're baking into more flights as opposed to the nonstop).

I'd also avoid doing LAX-SFO on a separate ticket without a lot of padding (more than you would think for such a short flight), because SFO gets hosed by wx so often, and the short-distance flights are the ones punished for this. The first flight of the day is usually the best one for on-time purposes. (If AS was a oneworld carrier, this policy would make me a little more willing to cut corners on separate tickets, and, say fly AA on a tighter connection LAX-SFO to CX SFO-HKG, but since AS isn't, that should be accounted for on purchasing for positioning flights: if you miss the CX flight you're at the mercy of AS and CX to fly you).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 22, 2012 at 8:14 am
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Along with what jackal mentioned, read the OP's post:

Can't open jaw with a stopover on an AS award on CX- AS allows one or the other, not both. (I also know this from personal experience.)

Adding paid coach positioning flights onto the award is certainly possible, but also note the OP is discussing two people, and this expense reduces the value of the award, since now you're shelling out cash for tickets to do the LAX-XXX segment that you could just use to pay for LAX-BKK flights (plus the extra time you're baking into more flights as opposed to the nonstop).

I'd also avoid doing LAX-SFO on a separate ticket without a lot of padding (more than you would think for such a short flight), because SFO gets hosed by wx so often, and the short-distance flights are the ones punished for this. The first flight of the day is usually the best one for on-time purposes. (If AS was a oneworld carrier, this policy would make me a little more willing to cut corners on separate tickets, and, say fly AA on a tighter connection LAX-SFO to CX SFO-HKG, but since AS isn't, that should be accounted for on purchasing for positioning flights: if you miss the CX flight you're at the mercy of AS and CX to fly you).
Thanks for the confirmation on the "No" part.

As I said, the poster needs to consider other options "when it makes sense" - only he can know whether a position flight would make sense for him or not especially he is flying coach. He might be better off just to buy the $1K or so coach r/t from LAX and be done with it. Or, he could get himself up to SFO with ample time and fly his AS award, or buy a UA ticket which would earn him quite a bit of UA miles - And my friend, UA miles have been proven more useful than AA miles these days. The Starnet blocking is a way of past and UA miles now with its very extensive partner network is far superior than OneWorld both in terms of availability and routing.

Again, evaluate all workable options and find the optimal one, hopefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.