Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com:

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If its not on the award chart its not allowed.
  • No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
  • Otherwise open jaw or stopover allowed on each round trip award.
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. Build open jaw and other advance routing by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR.
  • No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Eastern
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
I monitored flights as soon as I was able to book and called the partner desk. Got a very nice lady in Boise. I am traveling PUW-SEA-LAX-HKG-JNB and back again in First SEA-LAX-HKG and then business HKG-JNB because planes don't have a first class on this route.

I'm super excited, but I kept watching inventory on britishairways.com and searched for award inventory in the spending avios section. I had to do each segment at a time. Kind of a pain, but well worth it!
Old May 22, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm "stuck" in J on my way back to the states from HKG. Is upgrading to F as simple as waiting for availability to show up on ba.com and calling AS with 20k more miles in hand?
Old May 22, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by finloopio
I'm "stuck" in J on my way back to the states from HKG. Is upgrading to F as simple as waiting for availability to show up on ba.com and calling AS with 20k more miles in hand?
I was about to say "Yes", but then I realized I was in AS forum and not AA forum. I think the answer is "Yes", but I'll defer to AS experts.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:17 am

No, because award space on ba.com does not always match up to availability on AS.

Also there is a change fee to pay for (unless you are MVPG or 75K)
Old May 23, 2015, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by finloopio
Yes. Did it in March.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Orwaid
No, because award space on ba.com does not always match up to availability on AS.

There tends to be a lag of (24 hours?) sometimes when award space opens up on BA versus what AS can see. But if its still there, I've had luck securing the space ^
Old May 23, 2015, 9:37 am

Hi -

That might be it. I remember trying to get home from Malaysia once. I kept thinking "oh, some space will open up". At 48 hours before it did in PE and J. When I called into AS, they could not see anything.

Eighteen hours later (now 30 hours from departure), they did.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold

I would hope there would be no change fee as flights aren't changing. still worth it even if there was.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:14 pm

I agree, still worth a change fee.

They don't just "add-on" 20,000 miles. Rather, they cancel the old ticket, redeposit the miles (hence the fee), and then book a new ticket.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:57 pm

I agree, still worth a change fee.

They don't just "add-on" 20,000 miles. Rather, they cancel the old ticket, redeposit the miles (hence the fee), and then book a new ticket.
Since you are upgrading, there is no fee.

Again, did this in March. There was $6 extra in taxes, no other fees.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC

In March, I changed my destination on my return (from ORD to LAX) and departure date and thought they'd redeposit and reticket. I was fully expecting a fee. Agent said no change fee because I was "only " changing destination and departure date. I wasn't complaining.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Enough
I've confirmed CX J space on JL/QF/BA, but 2 different agents couldn't see it. I noticed this happened to some other folks a while back. Anybody know what's going on?
Old May 25, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
I have never been able to do a stopover on AS-connector flights. I have always had to use the stopover in YVR and the buy a ticket from YVR to the US.

In your case, you could do HKG-YVR (stop) - JFK and the buy a ticket YVR-PDX.

Not a bad deal actually - a RT ticket would cost about $300.
I don't know if AS has different rules for Emirates than for CX, but I am on a long stopover in PDX. We flew EK to LAX, then to PDX, stopover, going to Maui in Jan on same award ticket. Booked it online w/o a problem. Booking CX requires an agent, so may get different results.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:01 pm

I just went to book my first award flight using AS miles on Cathay for ORD to HKG. I was looking for a J award and prepared to take Y and wait for J to open. Sure enough, no J availability on the outbound, only F availability! So I spend an extra 20,000 miles when I only wanted J. Why is it that when I want F, there is only Y or J and when I want J, only F??
Instead of spending my time checking to see if J will open so I can upgrade, now I'll be spending my time seeing if J will open to downgrade.
First world problems, I know!
Old May 30, 2015, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Anyone know who many miles it would take to fly J from ORD to SYD? I think I read 60k somewhere but not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.