Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Observations on Boarding, and B.O.B. snafu's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!

Hi, folks.
So yesterday I completed the return legs of some week-long cross country flying on AS. These are the first flights I've taken on AS in a couple years, and I noticed some odd/aggravating things that I wanted to ask about.

But first, I should say that overall, the flight attendants were GREAT, and ground service was unexpectedly pleasant as well. I (after months of threatening) and splitting travel between AS and newUA, and I must say that I'm pleased by AS, though the lack of onboard IFE (particularly LiveTV... digEplayer is no match) and such are felt.

Okay, first thing is that I think it's a GREAT idea to board "those passengers NOT USING THE OVERHEAD BINS" first. Sure, people were obviously abusing the system, but still.... made things much happier for me, particularly as I was seated in forward rows.
But- this practice only took place in ANC and ORD... SEA didn't do it either time. What gives??? Made things much more hectic.

Second, the B.O.B. thing is all screwed up in the way the flight attendants carry it out. First, the drink cart rolls to the bulkhead row (6), with two F/A's serving drinks. Then, ten minutes later, the FOOD cart rolls up to row 10 or 11, with a sole F/A selling food. Those of us seated in rows 6-10 were not offered ANY food, and had to ask for it several minutes later after it became evident that no, she was NOT coming back our way, but working toward the tail.
FOUR TIMES.
All four flights, this happened. It was a bit better on 109 yesterday, SEA-ANC, where I at least jumped the gun and asked the drink F/A for BOB food as well, which she understood and got for me with an attitude of understanding.

So, what gives? It's not the end of the world, but why on earth do they only market BOB to rows 11-35, and make those of us sitting forward chase them down with call buttons?!!?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Legend717

Second, the B.O.B. thing is all screwed up in the way the flight attendants carry it out. First, the drink cart rolls to the bulkhead row (6), with two F/A's serving drinks. Then, ten minutes later, the FOOD cart rolls up to row 10 or 11, with a sole F/A selling food. Those of us seated in rows 6-10 were not offered ANY food, and had to ask for it several minutes later after it became evident that no, she was NOT coming back our way, but working toward the tail.
FOUR TIMES.
All four flights, this happened. It was a bit better on 109 yesterday, SEA-ANC, where I at least jumped the gun and asked the drink F/A for BOB food as well, which she understood and got for me with an attitude of understanding.

So, what gives? It's not the end of the world, but why on earth do they only market BOB to rows 11-35, and make those of us sitting forward chase them down with call buttons?!!?
Weird, I've never noticed that, but I'm always either in F or row 17.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

It can help to ask FA's for food as it does tend to run out fast. And no the carts don't go all the way to the front of whY. I don't think there's room- need to check with FA's
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:44 pm

My experience has been that the drinks come up, and the bob right behind. I've never had an issue purchasing in 6c, my favorite Y seat.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
There are times when seated in an exit row on a transcon flight it can take as much as 30 minutes for the beverage cart to reach you which makes the "hot" meal barely luke warm. I do wish they had a better system for those long haul flights when due to timing I BOB. On my returns (flying westbound) it is not so bad as I generally have had a chance to eat prior to boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.