Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Did the AS Visa Card just go directly to hell, do not pass go? (No more companion F?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did the AS Visa Card just go directly to hell, do not pass go? (No more companion F?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/us/al...1380106-344106

Receive an annual coach Companion Fare from $110 (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $11 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary).†

I wonder what happens with existing cards? Are we getting screwed at renewal? This is the most reprehensible benefit chop that I have experienced, should my eyes not be bleary.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I don't think anything has changed. AS is probably just making sure they don't breach the new DOT rules in regards to advertising fares with taxes. The $99 companion fare always cost me another $10 or $20 thanks to taxes and fees.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by kwl747
I don't think anything has changed. AS is probably just making sure they don't breach the new DOT rules in regards to advertising fares with taxes. The $99 companion fare always cost me another $10 or $20 thanks to taxes and fees.
The OP didn't bold the key word "COACH" in the companion fare language.

Existing companion fare discount certs have been updated for compliance with the new disclosure rules ($110, consisting of $99 fare plus at least $11 fees).

The real issue is if they have imposed the ability to only use the companion certs (future ones, not existing) on COACH fares.

Time for more research.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:25 am

"Coach Companion" is all over the website, but when you drill down into the actual terms and conditions of the offer, they don't appear to have changed.

No reference to limitations on class of service in the fine print.

It doesn't mean that they aren't changing them, just that they haven't done a very good job of making all the changes required (if in fact, the terms are changing).

Another weekend eruption of Flyertalk chatter and speculation is about to begin!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:28 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I would most definately cancel my account
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ANC
I would most definately cancel my account
Ditto, if the terms and conditions on the companion fare have actually changed.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen12
"Coach Companion" is all over the website, but when you drill down into the actual terms and conditions of the offer, they don't appear to have changed.

No reference to limitations on class of service in the fine print.

It doesn't mean that they aren't changing them, just that they haven't done a very good job of making all the changes required (if in fact, the terms are changing).

Another weekend eruption of Flyertalk chatter and speculation is about to begin!
I have heard a previous rumor consistent with this pathetic change of terms, so this would seem to confirm same. This is more than a chip, it is a major boulder coming off a cliff - this is a $1500+ per card hit for me. I have a feeling that it is going to result in 1 or 2 of my 3 cards going right where they belong when they renew - they won't renew. This is the biggest sucker punch in awhile - not more than a few weeks after a FA spewed how "you can even redeem these for First Class" while hawking her wares onboard.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
In a way I wish I hadn't redeemed my companion fare a few weeks ago for a pair of F seats to Hawaii in December. Then I could try booking a fake ticket to see if the restriction is for reals.

But if this is true, then I am uber-glad I acted before this purported restriction went into effect.

Can someone who has a companion fare code please test the waters for us and report back?

Last edited by dave1013; Mar 11, 2012 at 10:50 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave1013
In a way I wish I hadn't redeemed my companion fare a few weeks ago for a pair of F seats to Hawaii in December. Then I could try booking a fake ticket to see if the restriction is for reals.

But if this is true, then I am uber-glad I acted before this porported restriction went into effect.

Can someone who has a companion fare code please test the waters for us and report back?
I tested the waters, but it is on a current card with a code issued awhile back. They'd be sued if they changed the terms on cards/codes we've already paid for.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I tested the waters, but it is on a current card with a code issued awhile back. They'd be sued if they changed the terms on cards/codes we've already paid for.
Good point, thanks for the clarification. I guess we wait until someone gets a new code in the next few days or weeks.

When is the next Gold lunch? This matter, if true, should definitely be one of the questions or feedback "gifts" given to Rick and Company!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good point, thanks for the clarification. I guess we wait until someone gets a new code in the next few days or weeks.

When is the next Gold lunch? This matter, if true, should definitely be one of the questions or feedback "gifts" given to Rick and Company!
I have a feeling with the regime change, we're going to be getting very standard answers, and nothing more, for some time. I fear this is ride is going to be as fun as that the UA flyers are riding.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:29 am

My code got deposited in my MP account on February 27th, it works with first class. If the companion fare is for coach only next year then I'll also be cancelling the card.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

I think there is one in ANC this month...

Have not heard if any FTers have made it or not..

If true dang... Have not used this benefit myself but have come close over the holidays ex-ANC. Wonder if we can book Value+ with it for an immediate upgrade, or will this become like the DL companion cert applicable to lower fare classes. (Although DL does have a reserve card with a *much* higher annual fee, that seems to yield a companion F class ticket).
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
. Wonder if we can book Value+ with it for an immediate upgrade
"Immediate upgrade" is a flying load of crap on the transcons and some Hawaii routes.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Wonder if we can book Value+ with it for an immediate upgrade
If so that will take some of the sting out of it, but the downside will be loss of the 50% F miles bonus.

Last year's foray to the east coast in F on a comapnion ticket is what got me the miles needed to qual for Gold this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.