Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First Class Paid Upgrade Changes Effective Dec.1, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know when they made the $$$ increase announcement for upgrading to F/C at the airport?

I didn't see anything posted and then when I was looking at the $$$ to upgrade a seat tomorrow, i noticed the change there.

Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
There was no announcement as paid upgrade fees are not a part of any commitment or elite benefit. The posting on the website is relatively recent but seems clear about effective dates. I would say kudos for the advance notice, although paid upgrades are pretty rare nowadays with all DL and AS elites in line for a free seat.

Effective For Travel Beginning June 1, 2012
0 - 1,000: $50
1,001 - 2,000: $100
2,001 - 3,000: $150
3,001 and above: $250

Effective through May 31, 2012
All Flights between California and Guadalajara: $50
All flights between California and Hawaii: $150
0 - 1,250: $50
1,251 - 2,500: $100
2,501 - 3,750: $150
3,751 and above: $200
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:49 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
chip chip chip

seriously 2011 and 2012 have been for AS a race to the bottom

Last edited by ANC; Feb 4, 2012 at 9:26 am
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Similar to the unannounced increase in digiplayer rentals that occurred last year. How many ways can we nickel and dime you. Sky High Airlines lives!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A modest increase with 5 months' notice is hardly a chip, IM(nsh)O.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:34 pm

What flight is 3000+ miles? I thought these paid upgrades were per segment.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Nobody is going to be forced to sit in F. So if you don't like the change, then you just don't pay for the upgrade.

The increase seems reasonable to me. If they think they can get a few more $$$ for selling them, then why shouldn't they do it? If they don't sell them, then that's a good thing for MVP/G/75K's.

I think the only way this turns into a negative for AS is if they hold back on U inventory as a way to squeeze out a few more bucks. Good luck proving that
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by baliktad
although paid upgrades are pretty rare nowadays with all DL and AS elites in line for a free seat.
Except when U space doesn't get released until within the 24-hour window and non-elites are sniping upgrades from elites legitimately in the upgrade queue.

The small solace in this is that the higher prices are more likely to discourage non-elites from buying the seats out from under the waitlisted elites. Maybe battlefield upgrades will become a bit more common, although I'm not optimistic on that, given I've seen F seats go out empty when there were plenty of people on the waitlist.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:17 am
ANC

Originally Posted by United757
What flight is 3000+ miles? I thought these paid upgrades were per segment.
probably for those 1 stop same flight number flights that pop up once and a while out of ANC like direct service ANC-DFW (1 stop in Seattle)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:42 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
the pricing structure is not per segment... its per direction.

So, theoretically, you could upgrade MIA-HNL for the 3K price..but the upgrade would have to be available all the way through for that to work.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
FWIW, there were two seats for sale on 859 last night for 150 or 15k miles. I think one remained unsold. I think 150 bucks is reasonable for a six hour flight. On the off chance you could actually get an at the gate upgrade at DCA or MIA, 250 is fantabulous.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:30 am
ANC

Originally Posted by missydarlin
the pricing structure is not per segment... its per direction.

So, theoretically, you could upgrade MIA-HNL for the 3K price..but the upgrade would have to be available all the way through for that to work.
HA! U space for purchase at checkin all the way from MIA...right Might have better odds winning power ball. Although FWIW I do know somebody that once was able to buy the upgrade SEA-MCO during the free for all OLCI probably to the dismay of some gold that ended up in coach
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Except when U space doesn't get released until within the 24-hour window and non-elites are sniping upgrades from elites legitimately in the upgrade queue.
How is someone willing to pay for something "sniping" something from someone that was hoping to get it for free? I'm not begrudging anybody their space available upgrades that were earned that are part of their status but if someone's wanting to pay for it then how can that be considered "sniping" - the airline's job is to make money if they're able.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
How is someone willing to pay for something "sniping" something from someone that was hoping to get it for free? I'm not begrudging anybody their space available upgrades that were earned that are part of their status but if someone's wanting to pay for it then how can that be considered "sniping" - the airline's job is to make money if they're able.
In my experience, agents generally do not offer to sell U if there are elites on the upgrade list. However, the "sniping" occurs sometimes because the kiosks are not always observing the same rules. Just like how the kiosks and OLCI sometimes let people queue jump into F. I imagine that to programmatically ensure the absolute integrity of the desired upgrade priority would have to involve a lot of convoluted code that might be very difficult to implement given the nature of the back-end systems. A legacy reservation system like Sabre is robust and scaleable but not so flexible.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
FWIW, AS is the only airline in the US that I know of that makes it possible for customers to purchase deeply discounted upgrades while elites are still on the waitlist.

I am pretty sure AS would rather give up the measly $50-100 rather than screwing over a valuable repeat customer unless they are short-term sightened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.