Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Not taking 1st segment result in cancellation of rest of trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

I want to book SEA-YYC tickets on AS for August, but prices have been very high for a while (>$400). However, I see that roundtrip LAS-YYC with a connection in SEA is frequently discounted to just $230. Is it possible for me to book a roundtrip LAS-YYC-LAS ticket (with connections in SEA) and just take the SEA-YYC and YYC-SEA segments? Or is it better to book 2 one-way tickets LAS-YYC and YYC-LAS and just take the SEA-YYC and YYC-SEA segments?

Do you frequent AS travelers think this type of itinerary possible without getting part or all of the trip canceled due to not showing up for the LAS segments? TIA!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
This is one of the most frequently asked questions on FlyerTalk. If you miss the first leg of your trip, the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
If you book the round trip and don't take the first segment the whole trip will be cancelled.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
If you book the round trip and don't take the first segment the whole trip will be cancelled.
Thanks for the replies. What if i book 2 one-ways and just skip the LAS-SEA segment, will they still cancel the SEA-YYC since I'll be able to web-checkin and get boarding passes for both LAS-SEA and SEA-YYC?

The one-way YYC-LAS seems easier to get away with since YYC-SEA is the first segment.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If you are booked LAS-SEA-YYC and do not show up for LAS-SEA they will cancel your SEA-YYC regardless of you being checked in or not; they do scan the boarding passes as passengers enter the plane, and it's this scan that determines if you have taken the segment or not.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:49 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
You *can*, theoretically, book YYC-SEA-LAS one-way and skip the SEA-LAS segment; however, it's a violation of the AS contract of carriage, and if you make a habit of it AS will not be happy with you (and may very well take it out on your Mileage Plan account). This practice is called "hidden city ticketing," and you can search the forums or Google for more information.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stellertony
You *can*, theoretically, book YYC-SEA-LAS one-way and skip the SEA-LAS segment; however, it's a violation of the AS contract of carriage, and if you make a habit of it AS will not be happy with you (and may very well take it out on your Mileage Plan account). This practice is called "hidden city ticketing," and you can search the forums or Google for more information.
Thanks for the info and the name of this practice. I guess I'll just have to pay the inflated fare - the price of living in the hub city.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
what if you factor in a SEA-LAS oneway?

One way SEA-LAS
+
RT- LAS-SEA-YYC-SEA-LAS?
if you don't take the last flight, they can't cancel the rest of your itinerary (though technically, still a violation of the terms and conditions fine print.

or a LAS-SEA RT?
longer trip, but more miles.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 98103
what if you factor in a SEA-LAS oneway?

One way SEA-LAS
+
RT- LAS-SEA-YYC-SEA-LAS?
if you don't take the last flight, they can't cancel the rest of your itinerary (though technically, still a violation of the terms and conditions fine print.

or a LAS-SEA RT?
longer trip, but more miles.
Not sure i follow you. Why would i want to book a SEA-LAS oneway if what i really want is a SEA-YYC-SEA that won't get cancelled? I must be missing something...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:34 pm
ucc

Originally Posted by pakle
Not sure i follow you. Why would i want to book a SEA-LAS oneway if what i really want is a SEA-YYC-SEA that won't get cancelled? I must be missing something...
You are not getting it...
Suppose SEA-LAS is only $50, then you go SEA-LAS, then LAS-SEA-YYC-SEA and throw away SEA-LAS. More miles, less money.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucc
You are not getting it...
Suppose SEA-LAS is only $50, then you go SEA-LAS, then LAS-SEA-YYC-SEA and throw away SEA-LAS. More miles, less money.
OK, i see now. Interesting idea.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by pakle
OK, i see now. Interesting idea.
It's not usually a problem occasionally, but don't make a habit of it, lest AS bust you for it and do bad things to your Mileage Plan account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.