New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
I am a peon and manage to change routing and flight times. One upfare, one downfare, have a $60 credit sitting in my AS Wallet for my next flight as it's a nonrefundable ticket.
You mean your ticket is a Revenue Ticket and also has free changes > 60days?

Several years ago I knew I paid for the change / cancellation fee on non-refundable tickets.

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Nope, there are no fees 60+ days out for any changes or cancellation/refunds. The only thing that isn't refundable is the the partner booking fee, and I believe the phone fee.
Wow. This is one very generous feature! Makes speculative bookings much easier to do as the loss is the 12.5x2 partner booking fee and the 25 telephone booking fee.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by enzian
It's done! I called back and got a VERY helpful representative this time. He checked several dates and departure/ arrival points, and got us our seats in Biz class from Australia to HKG and HKG to LAX. We have a 3- night stopover in HKG and will make the most of that.
how many miles did that cost? does AS let u have to stop overs in citys from syd-hkg-lax? i tried booking with AA on CX flights and they dont let you go though asia going from aus to lax. let me know thanks
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by frankpark9
how many miles did that cost? does AS let u have to stop overs in citys from syd-hkg-lax? i tried booking with AA on CX flights and they dont let you go though asia going from aus to lax. let me know thanks
The Alaska website shows the number of miles needed. It's a single award. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...australia.aspx

Alaska negotiates separately with each individual partner so the rules are more liberal than American. (Minus the ability with aa to mix metal when AS members cannot ) AS allows stopover in hkg while aa only allows it at the US gateway

You can route via Hkg using aa miles by redeeming a distance based award which is more miles

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
It was 60,000 AS miles total for the route SYD to HKG to LAX, with a 3- night stopover in Hong Kong.

Are you looking for TWO stopovers in Asia? I don't think AS allows that unless you book the legs separately for additional miles.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
You mean your ticket is a Revenue Ticket and also has free changes > 60days?

Several years ago I knew I paid for the change / cancellation fee on non-refundable tickets.

Wow. This is one very generous feature! Makes speculative bookings much easier to do as the loss is the 12.5x2 partner booking fee and the 25 telephone booking fee.
Both revenue and award have no change fee if done 60+ days in advance. It was inplimented last year when AS inctreased the change fee to $125.

You only pay the partner booking fee or phone booking fee to make the initual reservation. You can change it as many times as you want, provided its done before the 60 day point. Once you cancel and have the mony deposited yiu lose the fees that you paid. I belive the 1 year ticket validity peiod still applies.

Best to do when you find out you cannot go to change it to as close to 330 days into the future and just change the day back when you finalize your plans.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
A question regarding routing for redeeming AS miles on CX. I am YVR-based, and it looks like CX J awards are pretty full on the weekend of Nov 28-30, and I have to either fly on the 27th or the 2nd to get any space. My desired routing is YVR-HKG-SIN.

Is it possible to route YVR-SFO-HKG-SIN or something like that? Or even YVR-JFK-HKG-SIN (though that would be a nutty flight - too much time in the air, I think)? How likely is it to have space open up closer? Should I book PE now and then upgrade to J as we get closer in and space opens up?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by roastpuff
A question regarding routing for redeeming AS miles on CX. I am YVR-based, and it looks like CX J awards are pretty full on the weekend of Nov 28-30, and I have to either fly on the 27th or the 2nd to get any space. My desired routing is YVR-HKG-SIN.

Is it possible to route YVR-SFO-HKG-SIN or something like that? Or even YVR-JFK-HKG-SIN (though that would be a nutty flight - too much time in the air, I think)? How likely is it to have space open up closer? Should I book PE now and then upgrade to J as we get closer in and space opens up?
You can't do that but try YVR-LAX-HKG-SIN. AS will fly you on their metal only to the partner gateway. Since there is no direct YVR-SFO on AS you can't do your route. There is a YVR-LAX nonstop on AS so that should work for you. Also with 4 flights daily to HKG it might be easier for you to get a premium seat.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pulley
You can't do that but try YVR-LAX-HKG-SIN. AS will fly you on their metal only to the partner gateway. Since there is no direct YVR-SFO on AS you can't do your route. There is a YVR-LAX nonstop on AS so that should work for you. Also with 4 flights daily to HKG it might be easier for you to get a premium seat.
Would AS let me book that itinerary, since I am based out of YVR where CX does fly to HKG?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would AS let me book that itinerary, since I am based out of YVR where CX does fly to HKG?
You should be able to do somethng like YVR-SEA-SFO-HKG-SIN as long as AS has saver space available. YVR-LAX-HKG-SIN as well. They wont let you go through JFK. Even though YVR is an international gateway for CX you are not limited to it as the departure city for the CX metal flight.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
You should be able to do somethng like YVR-SEA-SFO-HKG-SIN as long as AS has saver space available. YVR-LAX-HKG-SIN as well. They wont let you go through JFK. Even though YVR is an international gateway for CX you are not limited to it as the departure city for the CX metal flight.
Awesome, good to know! It does add more traveling time but better than wasting a couple of days of vacation...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:58 pm

Besides YVR, LAX and SFO are there any other gateways that AS makes available from the West Coast? Availability is not looking too good from all 3 spots, either have to fly before the weekend or on the Monday (Dec 1).

If we do a J-class redemption on CX, do we get First class availability on the AS connecting flights to the gateway?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Besides YVR, LAX and SFO are there any other gateways that AS makes available from the West Coast? Availability is not looking too good from all 3 spots, either have to fly before the weekend or on the Monday (Dec 1).

Nope those are the only ones. All the others you need to get to on your own

If we do a J-class redemption on CX, do we get First class availability on the AS connecting flights to the gateway?
Yes. F/J award gets you a seat in F on AS. Saver space is needed
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I would not call the Alaska rules more liberal than American. In many ways they are less flexible.

- When flying Cathay, American offers a stopover at the North American gateway city only. However, there are multiple North American gateway cities so you at least have a few options. Alaska offers a stopover only in Hong Kong. That's it.

- You can combine Cathay flights with any American partner to get to your final destination when flying on an Aadvantage award. You can only combine Cathay flights with Alaska flights when flying on a Mileage Plan award.

- If you're originating in Europe, you can fly anywhere Cathay Pacific flies when booking an Aadvantage award. Using Mileage Plan miles, you can only book to Hong Kong.

- You cannot include any Dragonair flights in an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan itinerary. Aadvantage awards can include Dragonair flights. Many cities in Asia (particularly in mainland China) are only served by Dragonair, which really limits your options with Alaska awards.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan can be used for some limited situations when booking with Cathay Pacific, but I would argue the program is considerably more limited than American.

The Alaska website shows the number of miles needed. It's a single award. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...australia.aspx

Alaska negotiates separately with each individual partner so the rules are more liberal than American. (Minus the ability with aa to mix metal when AS members cannot ) AS allows stopover in hkg while aa only allows it at the US gateway

You can route via Hkg using aa miles by redeeming a distance based award which is more miles
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
You're finding availability for what you want if you adjust your plans by just one day? Adjust your plans and book now! The inventory will not last. If seats open up later on the day you want, you should be able to change the ticket for free as long as you're more than 60 days prior to departure.

Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
ive had 100% success. Not sure if its becasue i only book for 1? Then again i never had problems when BA said 1 seat left either
Over the past few weeks many have notices that the BA website is not matching AS (and AA) CX award availability. As an alternative the JAL CZ award finder is matching fairly well. See Ben's blog One Mile at a Time

I say fairly as on the JAL award finder showed that a CX flight I wanted became available. I called three AS agents who all said it was not available. The next day I called twice during the afternoon and the agents said it was not available. Later that evening, around 2200 PST, I called again and the agent said it was available and I booked it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.