Search

My Wallet expiration questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:40 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
My Wallet expiration questions

Loving My Wallet function! Thank you AS, this is a HUGE asset!

Question for all about expirations:

If the expiration is listed as, say 1/1/11, does that mean travel must be completed by 1/1/11, or that credit must be spent by 1/1/11?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
I think you have to burn the credit by the expiration date. The travel can take place after the date if the credit is burned for purchase on or before the expiration date.

Where's Missy when you need her? Oh that's right, the luck girl is on vacation....
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPat
I think you have to burn the credit by the expiration date. The travel can take place after the date if the credit is burned for purchase on or before the expiration date.

Where's Missy when you need her? Oh that's right, the luck girl is on vacation....
Yeah, the terms are a bit vague: "Any remaining balance stays in the wallet for future use unless it reaches an expiration date."

However, since some of the credit is from cancelled and changed tickets, I thought the terms of that credit used to be different, but who knows.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
If the expiration is listed as, say 1/1/11, does that mean travel must be completed by 1/1/11, or that credit must be spent by 1/1/11?
You only have to ticket it by that date.

Those credits are individual certificates with separate expiration dates.

Think of your My Wallet as a Certificate holder.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Lets say my wallet finds expire march 2011 and I book a ticket in Jan 2011 for travel on June 2011. What happens if i decide in May 2011 i need to cancel? Do i lose the funds?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRider
You only have to ticket it by that date.

Those credits are individual certificates with separate expiration dates.

Think of your My Wallet as a Certificate holder.
Thanks for the help. However, the confusion is that in addition to certificates, mywallet holds ticket credits from cancelled or partially unused tickets, etc. My impression was that (at least previously) this type of credit expired 1 year from original date of travel...or was it 1 year from original date of purchase?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
My impression was that (at least previously) this type of credit expired 1 year from original date of travel...or was it 1 year from original date of purchase?
Looking at expiration dates in My Wallet its based on date of purchase. Whats odd is a few days ago i booked a ticket using my wallet funds and cancelled it. That money now shows an expiration that is one year after the date of the new purchase
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
CD King

Would love to see that confirmed by AS ie, that funds removed from My Wallet "have been to the fountain of youth" and now bear a new expiration date based on the date they were most recently removed from My Wallet

Anyone from AS able to confirm?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
This has happened to me - purchase ticket with expiring voucher, cancel ticket, new voucher has 1 year expiry.

So far I haven't lost any funds, but I'm not sure if it's an official policy so much as an implementation detail that lands in our favor. Sort of like the old OLCI that had a 24-hour rolling checkin and SDC window. I miss being able to change a late night flight to the next morning and vice versa.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Looking at expiration dates in My Wallet its based on date of purchase. Whats odd is a few days ago i booked a ticket using my wallet funds and cancelled it. That money now shows an expiration that is one year after the date of the new purchase
It is date of purchase. I wonder if the "fountain of youth" of the my wallet funds is a benefit for MVP or MVPG status?

I had 2 canceled tickets that I recently deposited into my wallet(cancelled last year, but I was in no rush to pay the cancellation fee until I knew I would use the funds-no status here) When I deposited them, the expiration date mysteriously bumped forward 1 month.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:56 pm

Bumping a really old thred - but wanted to confirm if the fountain of youth mentioned above is still valid/applicable? Basically can I use my wallet funds to buy a ticket, but later of if i cancel new ticket the fund expiration will extend?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone has new insight about this?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by milemission
Anyone has new insight about this?
Some things are better left unsaid.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Some things are better left unsaid.
doesn't matter anymore as getting a new 365-day clock will require $125 change fee after Jul 5 2018
Old May 17, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Colin
doesn't matter anymore as getting a new 365-day clock will require $125 change fee after Jul 5 2018
That would be June 5, 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.