Community
Wiki Posts
Search

companion fare and upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm looking at buying SAN-KOA. A friend is giving me 2 MVP upgrades to cover one direction. There is no upgradeable space today. If I buy, how do I track to see whether upgrade space becomes available?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm looking at buying SAN-KOA. A friend is giving me 2 MVP upgrades to cover one direction. There is no upgradeable space today. If I buy, how do I track to see whether upgrade space becomes available?
If you have an EF subscription, you can set an alert for U. If not, just keep looking on AS.com. Search using the GGU upgrade radio button. You are looking for the dark blue background with white F.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Has anyone else recently been offered a last-minute upgrade for just one seat? My understanding has long been that the PNR can't be split, so one person upgrading without the other wasn't possible. Yet that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Maybe because it was under gate control at that point?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Calculon
Has anyone else recently been offered a last-minute upgrade for just one seat? My understanding has long been that the PNR can't be split, so one person upgrading without the other wasn't possible. Yet that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Maybe because it was under gate control at that point?
Yes, it happened to me from HNL to SEA. I was with my wife and son in row 6. Son and I were on a companion fare. I never even looked at upgrade list because in 40+ flights to and from Hawaiian Islands on AS I have never been upgraded at gate (have had lots of upgrades via U or GGU). Agent came on the plane and offered me the last seat in F. It was fathers day and my wife and son insisted I take it (I was feeling a little guilty leaving both of them to bail solo into F). That also left them with an empty seat in row 6. :-).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MTGKJ
Yes, it happened to me from HNL to SEA. I was with my wife and son in row 6. Son and I were on a companion fare. I never even looked at upgrade list because in 40+ flights to and from Hawaiian Islands on AS I have never been upgraded at gate (have had lots of upgrades via U or GGU). Agent came on the plane and offered me the last seat in F. It was fathers day and my wife and son insisted I take it (I was feeling a little guilty leaving both of them to bail solo into F). That also left them with an empty seat in row 6. :-).
I have similarly never even been close to a comp upgrade between Newark and Seattle, but Wednesday morning turned out to be a light flight. In this case, my companion had caught a cold and was hitting the worst of it, so I was glad to leave him in back, and he was glad to have some buffer between himself and the next person. The only other person on his side of the exit row switched to an empty one, leaving him with a row to stretch out and sleep on. Everybody won.

Nice to discover that a single-seat upgrade is still a possibility in some cases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.