Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

DCA/EWR Travel Advisory February 4-7, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA/EWR Travel Advisory February 4-7, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Exclamation DCA/EWR Travel Advisory February 4-7, 2010

For those traveling to the East Coast this weekend... good luck ^

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Travel Advisory
East Coast Snow Storm

Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air are providing the following options to reschedule or rebook flights without incurring the standard change fees. All rescheduled travel may be subject to higher fares.

If your flight has been canceled, you can request a refund. Flights must be changed prior to the originally scheduled departure date.
Details on Exception Policy
Event Travel To/From Tickets Purchased On/Before Travel Dates Exception Policy
East Coast Snow Storm Washington, DC (DCA) or Newark (EWR) February 4, 2010 February 4-7, 2010 Change Fees waived if new travel starts on or before February 11, 2010.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:12 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Flew right into the heart of an anticipated storm

My aunts thought I might should reconsider canceling and rebooking. But I paid $240 for this flight and there is no way AS will sell LAX-DCA r/t this low unless they announce another "Hot Deals On Ice" sale.

Will see how things will turn out.... It is supposed to return to normal on Sunday [the day I fly out]...
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by golfingboy

My aunts thought I might should reconsider canceling and rebooking. But I paid $240 for this flight and there is no way AS will sell LAX-DCA r/t this low unless they announce another "Hot Deals On Ice" sale.

Will see how things will turn out.... It is supposed to return to normal on Sunday [the day I fly out]...
yup... not sure the upgrade will clear now...

If you want... its about $500 RT from DC to ANC - you can nest a trip up north if you get 'stuck'
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
yup... not sure the upgrade will clear now...

If you want... its about $500 RT from DC to ANC - you can nest a trip up north if you get 'stuck'
We [MVPGs] have already been cleared into F... I used my cert 2 weeks ago, so F is a lock for me unless my flight gets cancelled or whatever.

Sounds like a good idea! DCA-SEA-ANC-OGG-PDX-SEA-STS-LAX... That is going to be my rerouting plan if my flight gets cancelled Have school on Monday

$500 R/T.... Thank goodness I live in the lower 48 states $500 sounds like a decent deal for ANC, since all LAX-ANC flights are well into the $600-700 range. Perhaps I should plan my next ANC trip from DCA.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:10 pm

Red face Sunday AS #5 Canceled

My Sunday return flight got canceled and they rebooked me for Monday...

Got to write an email to my professor and my boss that I will not be in on Monday. Good thing our quiz got postponed to the 15th. *whew*

Last edited by golfingboy; Feb 5, 2010 at 6:38 pm
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

My Sunday return flight got canceled and they rebooked me for Monday...

Got to write an email to my professor and my boss that I will not be in on Monday. Good thing our quiz got postponed to the 15th. *whew*
Rebooked into Y?

Guess AS 6 didn't make it then

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Flight: 6 Alaska Tracker will be available when flight is airborne.
Date: Friday, February 05, 2010
Page Last Updated: 7:30:59 PM update
Departure Scheduled Actual Gate Arrival Scheduled Actual Comments Alerts
Los Angeles 1:08 PM See comments Washington, DC-Reagan National 8:56 PM See comments Canceled
---
Flight: 6 Alaska Tracker will be available when flight is airborne.
Date: Saturday, February 06, 2010
Page Last Updated: 7:32:34 PM update
Departure Scheduled Actual Gate Arrival Scheduled Actual Comments Alerts
Los Angeles 1:08 PM See comments Washington, DC-Reagan National 8:56 PM See comments Canceled
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:22 pm

Rebooked into Y?
Nope... F

They rebooked me automatically and sent an email notifying me of my schedule change... I did not have to do anything so that was nice! ^

Do Golds in IRROPS have higher priority for upgrades vs. booked golds if they rebook my flight around the 72 hour window?

I used a cert, so I would assume I had higher priority as long as U was available... But, I am really glad that they rebooked me in F not Y and that is the least AS could do for me in this situation.. ^

Guess AS 6 didn't make it then
Yeah, the Sat. AS6 flight is canceled... I was hoping that it might make it since the storm should be over around 5pm tomorrow and the plane is not due to arrive until around 9pm... Guess AS decided that it was not worth risking it...
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Nope... F

They rebooked me automatically and sent an email notifying me of my schedule change... I did not have to do anything so that was nice! ^

Do Golds in IRROPS have higher priority for upgrades vs. booked golds if they rebook my flight around the 72 hour window?

I used a cert, so I would assume I had higher priority as long as U was available... But, I am really glad that they rebooked me in F not Y and that is the least AS could do for me in this situation.. ^

Yeah, the Sat. AS6 flight is canceled... I was hoping that it might make it since the storm should be over around 5pm tomorrow and the plane is not due to arrive until around 9pm... Guess AS decided that it was not worth risking it...
Hmm... so is this "F" or :U"

Nice of them to keep you in the same Class of Service
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:50 pm

Hmm... so is this "F" or :U"

Nice of them to keep you in the same Class of Service
"U"

Yes very nice! ^
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
They closed PIT today because they could not keep up with the snow removal. It has been claimed that they have never closed the airport before due to snow. Oh well...

Snow here started in the evening, and I noticed this little tidbit:

Statement as of 2:01 am EST on February 06, 2010

... Record daily maximum snowfall set at Pittsburgh PA...

A record snowfall of 11.4 inches was set at Pittsburgh PA yesterday.
This breaks the old record of 4.7 inches set in 1899.
Doubling a 110 year old record!

Lots of power outages near the city, although im about an hour outside of town (east-ish), and other than impassable roads, things are normal.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm glad the storm decided to stay south this time. Not that everything wouldn't be back to normal for next weekends trip
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: lots of little things
So where have you been camped out and how much snow is on the ground there? I just dug out my car from under 26"-28" of snow, north of the city.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by dc333
So where have you been camped out and how much snow is on the ground there? I just dug out my car from under 26"-28" of snow, north of the city.
In the outskirts of Harpers Ferry near the Shenandoah River... They did a little shoveling yesterday afternoon. Today, the snow was a little below my waist and I am 6 feet tall... I would say somewhere around 30 inches here.

I posted some pictures in the Alaska Airlines Lounge Thread. Maokh who is in the surburbs of Pittsburgh right now also posted a picture.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
It stopped at 35" according to the weather service for our location.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maokh
They closed PIT today because they could not keep up with the snow removal. It has been claimed that they have never closed the airport before due to snow. Oh well...

Snow here started in the evening, and I noticed this little tidbit:

Doubling a 110 year old record!

Lots of power outages near the city, although im about an hour outside of town (east-ish), and other than impassable roads, things are normal.
Guess Phil was right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.