Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Airlines Does AS have Interline Baggage agreements with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Airlines Does AS have Interline Baggage agreements with?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Everyone I've ever tried...among the more random:

South African Airways
go!

I suspect it would be easier to make the list of who they don't have an interline baggage agreement with...
The irony is that SAA partners with Jetblue. A routing of KTN-SEA-JFK-JNB with the SEA- JFK segment on Jetblue, I had to collect and rebook in SEA.

Now with the new baggage rules, does being able to interline even matter anymore?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I have ANC-LAX-HKG-JNB currently ticketed on AS & CX. If I add JNB-CPT on SA will AS Interline this and print onto the luggage tag?
Like the US, you'll need to retrieve your baggage in JNB, clear customs, and then recheck. If you are able to get the baggage checked through, you can put it on a re-check belt after customs... otherwise you have to drag it up to the SA check-in area.

According to an Air Botswana agent in a smaller airport, it's impossible to interline baggage onto a domestic SA flight. I don't have any reason to suspect there is any truth (or falseness) to this.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by andymell
I have ANC-LAX-HKG-JNB currently ticketed on AS & CX. If I add JNB-CPT on SA will AS Interline this and print onto the luggage tag?
Like the US, you'll need to retrieve your baggage in JNB, clear customs, and then recheck. If you are able to get the baggage checked through, you can put it on a re-check belt after customs... otherwise you have to drag it up to the SA check-in area.

According to an Air Botswana agent in a smaller airport, it's impossible to interline baggage onto a domestic SA flight. I don't have any reason to suspect there is any truth (or falseness) to this.
Thanks for the info. Was aware I'd have to reclear- but if able to 'dump' my bag on a belt this will be easier.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by caravelle10B3
Ok, I am flying with Emirates AMS-DXB-BOM. After 5 hours the next flight is with Iran Air BOM-IKA. According to the Emirates website both Airliners are interline partners :
http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...-partners.aspx
If I check in at AMS, do I find my suitcase back in Tehran ?
I am not confinced, so,who knows the answer.

regards,

Andre
You will want to check the proper forum (Emirates) since this is in no way related to Alaska airlines.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:52 am

I cannot speak to the IATA issue, although I have heard as much before that any IATA member *can* issue a paper ticket or check baggage onto any other IATA member. Others have brought up the Iran Air and Cubana issue before, and it does seem unlikely that USA companies could interline with them unless there was some sort of blanket IATA thing that they participated in by default.

I do believe that there are IATA coded fares (YY?) on some routes that are woefully expensive, but allow one to ticket virtually any carrier on the route. But I'm no expert on IATA, so that may be entirely wrong.

As far as AS' published interline agreements:

Code:
E-Ticket Interline Agreements
    AA        AC        AF        AM        BA        BR        
    CI        CM        CO        CX        DL        EG        
    EI        FJ        HA        HP        HU        JL        
    KE        KL        KS        K5        LA        LP        
    MH        MW        MX        M5        NZ        OZ        
    PR        PZ        QF        SK        SQ        UA        
    US        VA        VW        WP        WS        YV        
    3M        7H        

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       AA  AC  AF  AM  AS  AV  AY  AZ  BA  BR  CA  CI  CM  CX  
       DE  DL  EK  FI  FJ  HA  HR  HU  IB  JJ  JL  KA  KE  KL  
       KS  K5  LA  LH  LP  LR  LY  MH  MU  MW  NH  NZ  OO  OZ  
       PR  PZ  QF  SK  SQ  SU  SV  TA  TN  T0  UA  US  VA  VS  
       VW  WP  WS  XL  YV  3M  4M  7H                          

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       AA  AC  AF  AM  AS  AV  AY  AZ  BA  BR  CA  CI  CM  CX  
       DE  DL  EK  FI  FJ  HA  HR  HU  IB  JJ  JL  KE  KL  KS  
       K5  LA  LH  LP  LR  LY  MH  MU  MW  NH  NZ  OO  OZ  PR  
       PZ  QF  SK  SQ  SU  SV  TA  TN  T0  UA  US  VA  VS  VW  
       WP  WS  XL  YV  3M  4M  7H
According to Expertflyer.com as of today.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:55 am

Interestingly, AS *can* issue tickets to Dragon Air, but not interline baggage (maybe some artifact of the agreement with CX).
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:16 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Any recent experience interlining with KLM? Specifically wondering if KLM will interline baggage checked in South Africa, connecting in YVR onto a separate AS PNR.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Any recent experience interlining with KLM? Specifically wondering if KLM will interline baggage checked in South Africa, connecting in YVR onto a separate AS PNR.

Thanks!
Officially, according to EF, KL has an interline agreement to check bags through to AS. What KL's policy is regarding interlining to a separate PNR, I don't know. You might consider asking in the KL forum, as the folks there may better know KL's policy on that. Some here may have anecdotal experience, though, so hopefully someone will answer.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I found an outlier that AS does not have an interline agreement with - MI (Silk Air). My routing was PDX AS SFO SQ SIN MI HKT, all issued on SQ 618 stock.

The counter agent was just going to check my bag to SIN (55 min connect time), but I convinced her just to short check to SFO (much longer connect time) and then I would recollect there. That ended up working just fine.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:31 pm

How many hours in advance do you arrive to AS check-in counter at airport, if you want to interline your luggage ?

Last time I arrived there 1h20m before AS flight departure, I got told off by the counter agent that bc my next flight (that I want to interline my luggage to) is international, I should arrive 2hrs BEFORE the AS flight depart, even though the AS flight is obviously a domestic positioning flight to the international gateway city (within the US, of course).

I argued that the AS segment is a domestic flight blah blah to no avail. The international flight is only departing like 5 hrs AFTER the AS domestic flight arrived to the gateway city. (I gave myself sufficient cushion time to reclaim bag, in case the AS agent decided to be difficult, which was the case - I ended up having to exit security, claim bag, and recheck my bag)
Old May 22, 2017, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by gnomey
How many hours in advance do you arrive to AS check-in counter at airport, if you want to interline your luggage ?

Last time I arrived there 1h20m before AS flight departure, I got told off by the counter agent that bc my next flight (that I want to interline my luggage to) is international, I should arrive 2hrs BEFORE the AS flight depart, even though the AS flight is obviously a domestic positioning flight to the international gateway city (within the US, of course).

I argued that the AS segment is a domestic flight blah blah to no avail. The international flight is only departing like 5 hrs AFTER the AS domestic flight arrived to the gateway city. (I gave myself sufficient cushion time to reclaim bag, in case the AS agent decided to be difficult, which was the case - I ended up having to exit security, claim bag, and recheck my bag)
Was this on the same ticket? If so, you should have no issue with 1:20.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:41 pm

Was this on the same ticket? If so, you should have no issue with 1:20.
No, different tickets. That's why I am curious to know what is the rule
Old May 22, 2017, 4:03 pm

No, different tickets. That's why I am curious to know what is the rule
Dug it up on AS' new page:

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.
As for baggage cutoffs, they are posted as follows:

Getting your bags to the airport

We will accept your checked bags at the airport from 4 hours before your flight time until approximately 1 hour before your flight time. View the ticket counter hours and specific Check-in cut-off time for your airport. Please keep in mind that we are unable to accept your baggage outside of these times.

Please Note: Due to restrictions for US Customs pre-clearance, Vancouver (YVR) can only accept bags three hours prior to departure. Calgary (YYC) can only accept bags two hours prior to departure.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:11 pm

Dug it up on AS' new page:

As for baggage cutoffs, they are posted as follows:
Thanks - well, ok, so if i am interpreting correctly, they should still check in my bags even if I arrive 1hr prior to my AS flight, with my international flight still many hrs away from departing at that point in time.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:13 pm

Thanks - well, ok, so if i am interpreting correctly, they should still check in my bags even if I arrive 1hr prior to my AS flight, with my international flight still many hrs away from departing at that point in time.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ing-times.aspx

Minimum required check-in with bags

When you check bags on our flights you must make sure that all of your checked luggage is processed and a valid boarding pass is received no later than the cut-off times listed below to avoid rebooking on a later flight.
Minimum required check-in with bags table
International flights1 Domestic flights2
60 minutes 40 minutes
The cutoff is 60 minutes, and that is the agent printing your page and scanning the tag. I would try not to push that, especially with an OAL involved, as that takes more time to set up. Bring printouts of your connecting reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.