Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
ATL-RIC (FL 248) - Monday, February 1 - successful - I approached the GA 60 minutes before departure and was told to return at the 40 minute mark. At about 45 minutes 'til departure, the Elites started circling the gate area like vultures (it reminded me a bit of Southwest's cattle-call seating process). At 40 minutes, the GA made one last attempt to sell BC seats. One sold. The Elites dropped into line. The man in front of me was told that all of the seats were already spoken for. He was visibly agitated. Then to my surprise, the GA recognized me and another woman and said that we were there earlier and upgraded us to BC. Oddly enough, the flight departed with one BC seat vacant.

RIC-ATL (FL 236) - Thursday, February 4 - unsuccessful - due to approaching bad weather, I had to rebook my flight with only five hours before departure. Online check-in wasn't working either so I had to check-in at Ticketing. Rep told me that I was the 12th Elite to check in and there were only two vacant BC seats. Bad odds to say the least. Once past security, I was told the same thing by the GA (so they're actually upgrading based on check-in time, as per policy). Fortunately, one of the successful upgrades was in an exit row and I was able to secure that seat instead. The GA was full of good information and told me that system upgrades will soon be in effect that will automate the Elite upgrade's "pecking order", providing for a more consistent application of the upgrade policy. Of course now we'll all be racing online at T-24 hours but at least it won't be at the gate counter.

Last edited by plagwate; Feb 27, 2010 at 5:27 pm
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

I don't know for sure, but it would make sense that any flight originating or arriving at ATL would have a much higher number of elites jockeying for upgrades.

I am on MKE-LAX right now using GoGo, and used credits for an upgrade. I tend to do that on all west coast flights, to ensure that I don't miss out.

In hindsight, however, I should have waited for a comp upgrade. There are five empty J seats right now. That would have been 7 empty had I not used credits to upgrade myself and my wife.

Coach is about 80% full, which isn't so bad considering that there are 3x/day flights MKE-LAX in the winter, if you include YX's single nonstop.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Thursday Feb 11: no luck! The weebsite was barely working; I tried to OLCI a dozen or so times before finally succeeding at 5 hours before departure. On one of my unsuccessful OLCI attempts I saw that only one Biz class seat was left; by the time I was successful with OLCI I was not offered the chance to buy an upgrade. Flight had no more than 6 empty seats.

Today: success! Only 1 Biz class left empty; 9 were free at T - 5 hours.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Currently on FLL-ATL Feb 18 6:30am departure. 3 empty seats in business.

FYI GoGo in-flight internet is blazing fast on this route.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Mildly OT, but here are my experiences these past two weeks:

10 March (Wednesday): HPN-atl-FLL:
I used 4 credits to upgrade my scheduled evening flights, but tried to standby on the morning HPN-ATL flight. I was successful with the standby, and I got the upgrade (with one more seat open in Biz class), BUT I was told that standby passengers who have upgraded to Biz class on their original itinerary have a lower priority to get a Biz class seat on a standby flight than A+ Elite complimentary upgraders. I.E. they upgrade all A+ Elites with a reservation on the flight at T - 40 minutes and then at a few minutes before closing the door they take standby passengers; any standby with an upgrade will not get it if the Elites have already filled the Biz class cabin.

On the first ATL-FLL flight after my HPN-ATL flight arrived it appeared that there would not be room for any standby passengers (roughly 12 were trying). The inbound plane was struck by enough lightning to cause some damage, so all the passengers had to trudge from C-19ish down to C-1. Once everyone in the terminal booked on that flight boarded, they determined that there might be one seat available, called me to the podium, and told the crowd of potential standbys that there probably would not be any room on the flight, but that there might be one seat and if so "he (pointing to me) gets it". Most all the standbys left for the gate of the next ATL-FLL flight (grumbling), but one guy asked why I was at the head of the line - I gave a short "passengers who fly enough with AirTran to earn elite status get to standby before others" answer. Sure enough, there was one no-show & I got the seat (in Biz class) - the plane went out full.

21 March (Sunday): FLL-atl-[HPN for me, HOU for two traveling companions]

I used 4 credits again to upgrade my FLL-atl-HPN flights, but (at 5:30 in the morning before the flight, as soon as I could get a cell phone signal on my cruise ship) ATL-HOU was already full in Biz class, so I couldn't upgrade my fellow cruisers with credits. FLL-ATL went out full in Biz class, but part of that was a family of 5 who paid $ to upgrade that segment - I don't know if any Elites were upgraded; flight was totally full.

ATL-HPN had one seat left in Biz class; not sure about coach.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
ATL-DFW - FL124 (11:00 a.m., Thursday, March 18) - at -24:00 out, only one Business Class seat available. Rather than risk it, I cashed in four credits to secure that last seat.

DFW-ATL - FL110 (6:20 p.m., Sunday, March 21) - tried switching to standby onto FL116 (5:03 p.m.) but all seats were taken. Bad weather in ATL had all of the flights delayed so FL116 ended up leaving only 10 minutes ahead of FL110. Once switched back to my original flight, the GA automatically upgraded me without having to ask. I believe Business Class had one or two seats empty. There were also three crew members deadheading who were offered seating in Business Class upon boarding. The one seated next to me was a bit of an @$$. But that's another story.

ATL-RIC - FL248 (8:20 a.m., Wednesday, March 24) - checked in online at about -22:00 before flight. Arrived at the gate and checked in with the agent at -40 minutes - immediately upgraded. Plane pushed back with one or two open seats in Business Class.

RIC-ATL - FL245 (7:41 p.m., Friday, March 26) - checked in online at about -23:00 before flight. When I arrived at ticketing to check my bag, agent welcomed me as an Elite and told me that I was first in line for upgrade (based on online checkin sequence). Checked in with the GA at -40 minutes and was offered my seat of choice in Business Class. Plane pushed back with two open seats in Business Class.

I have to compliment the crew at RIC. Every time I fly out of there, their team is professional and consistently follows the upgrade policy as it's published. I guess it's the advantage of being a smaller operation. I look forward to the day when (if?) ATL operates just as smoothly.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:15 pm

Second attempt -- I hate it when a typo closes my tab!

April 30 LGA-MKE
The seatmap for my flight was never accessible ("format exception"), regardless of browser. I arrived at the gate ~35 minutes before departure as zone 1 had just been announced to board. I asked for an upgrade and was told to go to the GA at the other gate - she took quick care of me, and I got the last biz class seat.

May 2 MCI-atl-LGA
Seat maps showed 8-10 seats available on both legs two days before departure. This went down to 4 and 4 the afternoon before departure, and by 10:00 pm the day before departure there were still 4 seats left in biz class on MCI-ATL, but ATL-LGA was sold out. After I cleared security on the morning of the MCI flight the seat map still showed 2 seats available; but at T-45 minutes the GA told me that no seats were available (despite my seatmap showing one empty biz class seat), unless the one person who had not yet checked in missed the flight. That is exactly what happened - I was handed a new BP in the middle of zone 1 boarding.

The storms in the midwest caused my flight to be just late enough that I ran to my connecting gate just in time to see the jetway pull back from my connecting flight. Customer service had already booked me on the next flight - I asked about upgrades and was told that biz class was full. I then asked the type of plane, and when told it was a 717 I asked for either 10A or 10C and got 10C. So many people missed the earlier flight to LGA that my new flight was oversold by 11!

Instead of replying to this post I'll add my experiences from this past weekend here:

May 7 morning flight LGA-MKE: seat map showed all biz class seats available at 24 hours before departure; in the next few hours 3 seats were filled. No changes to that occurred until I got to the gate; at 40 minutes prior to departure I got the 4th seat. A couple more seats were taken prior to the closing of the cabin door, but several were empty for the flight.

May 9 morning flight MKE-LGA: seat map showed all biz class seats available, even at 1.5 hours prior to departure. I got to the gate 45 minutes later, and got the first biz class seat. Shortly thereafter, an Army officer with 5 Navy (Coast Guard?) students boarded; all were given unofficial upgrades to biz class. Two others boarded later with BPs for seats taken by the military; they both chose to sit in the bulkhead seats rather than make the officer or students move. The were 3 empty seats in biz class for the flight.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; May 10, 2010 at 7:08 am Reason: Added May 7 & 9 info
Old May 30, 2010, 10:40 am

LA

Thursday May 27 nonstop to LA was entirely full in coach but did have three seats in business open. My daughter and I scored the elite upgrade on two of them, and only I am an elite, she was the traveling compansion, and on a different PNR at that.

(On the downside, the flight was two hours delayed because of Air Traffic Control delays on the inbound from LGA)
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Just flew MSP > MKE Flight 600.

I booked a M Class ticket last night since I missed other flights and United wanted $250! This was $180.

So I get to ticketing get my BP its seat 10D, I get to gate and there is a giantass crowd of high schoolers on this flight, They start boarding and after zone 4 is starting they call me up hand me new BP seat 2D! Not sure how it happened but I will take it. I have zero status with AT and have 1 credit from a Priceline flight back in Dec.

I assume I got upgraded to due ticket class?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davef139
Just flew MSP > MKE Flight 600.

I booked a M Class ticket last night since I missed other flights and United wanted $250! This was $180.

So I get to ticketing get my BP its seat 10D, I get to gate and there is a giantass crowd of high schoolers on this flight, They start boarding and after zone 4 is starting they call me up hand me new BP seat 2D! Not sure how it happened but I will take it. I have zero status with AT and have 1 credit from a Priceline flight back in Dec.

I assume I got upgraded to due ticket class?
Most likely a combination of ticket class and the actions of the gate agent. Was the flight full? If so, I believe they upgrade elites first followed by the higher ticket classes.

Glad you scored an upgrade, and hope that you enjoyed the upgraded experience.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Most likely a combination of ticket class and the actions of the gate agent. Was the flight full? If so, I believe they upgrade elites first followed by the higher ticket classes.

Glad you scored an upgrade, and hope that you enjoyed the upgraded experience.
Yes it was a very full flight, I know 1 BC seat was open but not sure how many econ but 99% of the plane was this highschool trip. But I know when i booked the ticket online only seats avail was exitrow.

I also didn't realize MKE is a majo hub for them, although I do love my United.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
BOS-BWI (June 4, FL599) -- no luck. Flight was oversold.

BWI-BOS (June 8, FL819) -- success. They called elites up to the counter about 45 min before boarding. I was also pleasantly surprised there was free Gogo. ^
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
success twice on BOS-BWI-BOS this weekend (FL 599 and 819).
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:46 pm

IND-ATL-JAX I usually fly this early Mon morning, sometimes Tues. I have always gotten upgrade on the first leg to Atlanta. From Atlanta to Jacksonville is about 50%.

JAX-BWI-IND This is usually the late afternoon flight, with a long layover in BWI. Again, I get upgraded almost all the time on the first leg, and maybe 2/3 time on the second.

One thing that bugs me, and this has happened 3 times in the past 4 weeks. I am in the connecting city, go up to agent at 40min mark and am told she is still processing upgrades, please wait. I step to side, sometimes with as many as 3 other waiting Elites. She then boards the entire plane, every single passenger, then turns those of us waiting for upgrade. Now in each case I have gotten into BC. But it is kinda maddening to have to wait like that.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: Airtran A+ Elite, SPG Preferred Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold, AGR
BWI - BOS 6/28 12:30 Yes - 12 of 12 filled, got there with about 20 minutes to spare, was on the later flight got upgraded standby in the last seat for the 1230

BOS - BWI 6/29 2:35p Yes - 6/12 filled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.