Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye Airtran

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Bye Bye Airtran

Interesting ride but it's over now. Bet of luck to employees who moved over to WN. You'll make a lot more money so probably not a bad thing for the crew
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
"Interesting ride" is a bit of an odd way to describe 17 years of operation in its present form, finally settling in with a fleet of over 120 new mainline jets and operating that way for over a decade as a price leader based in the world's busiest airport. From the frequent flyer's point of view, a "good ride."

From the labor side, we have heavy layoffs in ATL ground staff, reasonable treatment for FAs and devastating outcomes for the pilots.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
So many things to miss
1) The upgrades -paid or free.
2) the flight credits. as someone who flies a lot on the east coast, I don't accumulate as many miles domestically.
3) more direct flight choices from ATL
4) the cheap fares: though this has been less frequent since WN took over. I used to fly on quite a few spontaneous trips with those two week advance fares of 70-100 bucks each way. In fact, I have stopped taking spontaneous trips that I doubt I will retain A List for 2016.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by saneman
So many things to miss
2) the flight credits. as someone who flies a lot on the east coast, I don't accumulate as many miles domestically.
4) the cheap fares: though this has been less frequent since WN took over. I used to fly on quite a few spontaneous trips with those two week advance fares of 70-100 bucks each way. In fact, I have stopped taking spontaneous trips that I doubt I will retain A List for 2016.
The cheap fare will be missed . I remember day-tripping ROC-BWI under $250 r/t . Now WN wants over $600+
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by saneman
So many things to miss
Personally, I'm going to miss the AirtranU student standbye flights. I remember many $49 o/w ATL>MEM trips to go home from college. Was only bumped once during several years.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Justin026
From the labor side, we have heavy layoffs in ATL ground staff, reasonable treatment for FAs and devastating outcomes for the pilots.
Please fill us in on the devastating outcomes for pilots.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by traveller001
Please fill us in on the devastating outcomes for pilots.
Not all pilots. But many former Airtran pilots feel the integration was not fair to them. Every Airtran Captain was down graded to First Officer with many years until they could upgrade again. Even junior pilots will have to wait many more years to become Captains if they don't have to retire first. According to many Captains have taken big pay cuts and now have to commute with the downsizing of the Atlanta base and loss of seniority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.