Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Business Class (D class fare) fully refundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Business Class (D class fare) fully refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Question Is Business Class (D class fare) fully refundable?

I would like to book a fully refundable flight. Before I book it, I contacted Airtran customer service and spoke to two representatives.
One told me only Business A and J fares are fully refundable, and I need to pay cancellation fee ($150) for Business D class; the other told me Business D class is fully refundable because it's also Business class. All Business class fares are fully refundable.

I'm confused. Does anyone have cancellation/change experience with Business D class ticket?

Thank you very much!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:10 am

From the Website:

Flight Selection

Available Flights: The system will search our flight database for all available flights that match your search criteria. All Departing Flights are listed first, and if you have selected a roundtrip, your Returning Flights are listed next.

Fare Options: For each flight, the system will present multiple fare options, so you can determine which flights and fares best meet your needs.
Web Special Fare – coach sale fares, usually with an advance purchase requirement, with seat assignment at time of check-in.

Discount Coach Fares – lower-priced coach fares, usually with an advance purchase requirement, with seat assignment at time of check-in.

Regular Coach Fares – attractively priced coach fares, usually with minimal or no advance purchase requirement, with advance seat assignment – you can select your seat at time of booking.

Lowest Business Class Fare – Business Class fares are fully refundable, offer bigger seats, more leg room, complimentary drinks, with seat assignment at time of booking.
Or this specific link of D Class Fares

Which says:

• D Fare Class
  • Business Class PROMOTIONAL Fare
  • Fare is refundable
  • Changes can be made without a change fee. A fare increase may apply
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Question

Thank you so much! I saw that, but I also saw the paragraph under the Fare Rules:
"Business class tickets (A and J fare classes only; not including promotional fares) are fully refundable and no fee applies to changes."

D fare class is promotional fare, so according to this paragraph, is it not fully refundable?

I'm confusing.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:47 am

Conflicts go to the customer in my opinion

Note the the D Class Fare Rules have been updated to include the recent increase in change fess.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 21, 2013 at 11:58 am Reason: Add more information
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Look at the specific fare rules when booking. In the case of a D fare, you will see that the fare rules make it "fully refundable".

Don't bother with summaries or telephone calls. They don't matter.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Question

Thank you very much, but the specific Fare Rules for D fare are

Fare Rules
Business Class

D Fare Class
Business Class PROMOTIONAL Fare
Fare is refundable
Changes can be made without a change fee. A fare increase may apply
It only says "refundable" not "fully refundable". And i noticed they used "changes", so does it mean it "no change fee" only applies to changes to another flight not cancellation?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:10 pm

Fare is refundable
Changes can be made without a change fee
"Fare is refundable" means you can get your money back if you cancel. It can have no other meaning.

"Changes can be made without a change fee" also seems pretty straight forward.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Note the the D Class Fare Rules have been updated to include the recent increase in change fess.
So you mean it is subject to change fees, right?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ella Lee
I don't know if you are purposely being obtuse.

Go read the link I left.

You will see that Airtran has said that class D fares are fully refundable and that they have recently updated the page to include their recently raised change fees which do not apply to class D fares.

The point you seem to have missed is that Airtran has said that Class D Fares are not subject to change fees and if Airtran had meant change fees to apply to Class D fares they should have updated the Fare Rules when they updated them to include the new higher change fees (which they also say do not apply).

If you don't trust what I'm saying or if you want further definition you should send an email to Airtran through their website and get an official written response which will be assigned a reference number that you can refer to in the unlikely event there is a problem.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Ella Lee
This is still the current info on Airtran.com

https://tickets.airtran.com/FareRule...xTypes=ADT&c=1
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:46 pm

When this question came up and given some ambiguous wording on the Airtran website I emailed Airtran and today I got this answer:

Thanks for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Business Class Promotional Fares are refundable and changeable without fees. Changes may require an upgrade in fare, however.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you on a future AirTran Airways flight.

Sincerely,

Vicki, Southwest Airlines on behalf of AirTran Airways
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
When this question came up and given some ambiguous wording on the Airtran website I emailed Airtran and today I got this answer:
What jumps out is not the reply; it's the signature line.

Sincerely,

Vicki, Southwest Airlines on behalf of AirTran Airways
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by mke9499
What jumps out is not the reply; it's the signature line.
I think all Res and CS&S agents have been converted to WN.. They now see mixed duty.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:55 am

I also noticed the signature line, that's why I included it.

I also noticed that replies that used to take a day or 2 now take much longer, I submitted my Question on the 21st and got an answer yesterday, 5 days later.

Maybe I'm just asking harder questions.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Sorry. Mistake!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.