Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest putting its mark on AirTran jets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive

read here -
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution website

12:11 a.m. Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Southwest Airlines has started its extreme makeover of AirTran Airways' fleet of jets.

The first AirTran plane is at a contractor facility in the Seattle area this week to be converted to Southwest's use, according to executives. Highlights of the 40-day process include a new paint job outside, all-coach seating inside and a different wi-fi system.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm Reason: posting entire article is copyright violation
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: I fly for free.
I find it sort of humurous that she does not even have the correct numbers for the AirTran fleet and is using information that is over a year old.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by PA42
I find it sort of humurous that she does not even have the correct numbers for the AirTran fleet and is using information that is over a year old.
Isn't it the AirTran/Southwest PR team's job to make sure she has the correct numbers and information?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by travelingfool23
Isn't it the AirTran/Southwest PR team's job to make sure she has the correct numbers and information?
It's her job to call for the latest numbers. Can't imagine they put out routine press releases on them.

Surprised to read the WN seats are an inch narrower than the FL seats they're replacing:

"In addition, the all-coach cabin will have a new layout Southwest debuted last month, squeezing six more seats onto the plane with thinner seats and less recline. AirTran's seats are 18 inches wide; Southwest's seats are 17 inches wide, according to SeatGuru.com. Southwest's new interior will have seat covers made of "E-Leather," which it calls an eco-friendly "alternative to traditional leather."
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Surprised to read the WN seats are an inch narrower than the FL seats they're replacing:
That is for the old seats. I have not seen any press release on how wide the new seats are.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
That is for the old seats. I have not seen any press release on how wide the new seats are.
Seriously doubt they're retrofitting planes with old SWA seats. The article implies the replaced seats will be an inch narrower than current FL seats.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Seriously doubt they're retrofitting planes with old SWA seats. The article implies the replaced seats will be an inch narrower than current FL seats.
They aren't and it doesn't.

The seats are being replaced with the new seats. The article quotes Seat Guru which refer to the old seats.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by lougord99
They aren't and it doesn't.

The seats are being replaced with the new seats. The article quotes Seat Guru which refer to the old seats.
Yes, the Seatguru info obviously hasn't been updated for Evolve layout.

But new seats? Yes and no... FL 737s will get apparently get new seats. WN 737-700s are reusing the frame with new cushions and headrests.

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior...er-2500-seats/

"However, the most profound changes have been reserved for Southwest’s seats. The carrier is retaining the B/E Aerospace-manufactured ‘Innovator II’ seat frames on its Southwest 737-700s, but will add fixed wing head rests; new, thinner, more durable foam fill; and lightweight E-Leather synthetic leather seat covers. It is also removing the under-seat floatation device – and instead adding life vest pouches – to create a lower profile seat, which in turn creates weight savings of nearly six pounds per seat."

Last edited by traveller001; Feb 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:10 pm

If they are using existing seat frames, why is the width listed in Seat Guru wrong/outdated?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
If they are using existing seat frames, why is the width listed in Seat Guru wrong/outdated?
Just that the seatguru info for WN 737-700s doesn't yet show the now two possible configurations 137 vs 143 seat.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:46 am

E-leather?

Sounds like Naugahyde to me.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by henryf
E-leather?
Next we'll hear about iLeather, for Imaginary Leather.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
A couple days old, but just saw this:
http://www.ajc.com/business/southwes...d-1431574.html

First converted 737 is ready, complete with WN-style seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.