Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is AirTran's nickname "FL"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Why is AirTran's nickname "FL"?

Why is AirTran referred to as "FL" on this forum?

Curious minds....
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: CO PL, DL PM
"FL" stands for "Florida."

AirTran is the successor airline to ValuJet, the 1990s discount carrier whose poor safety record finally became national news after its Flight 592 crashed into the Florida Everglades due to an avoidable cargo fire.

ValuJet bought AirTran Airways in 1997 and assumed the AirTran name.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCAmateur
"FL" stands for "Florida."

AirTran is the successor airline to ValuJet, the 1990s discount carrier whose poor safety record finally became national news after its Flight 592 crashed into the Florida Everglades due to an avoidable cargo fire.

ValuJet bought AirTran Airways in 1997 and assumed the AirTran name.
Ah. I suspected it had something to do with ValuJet and I remember the crash. I guess I didn't associate AirTran with Florida since I think of it as an Atlanta airline.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:01 am

AirTran's FL moniker was not named in response to a Florida plane crash.

It is because the airline is headquartered in Florida. Specifically, Orlando.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
AirTran's FL moniker was not named in response to a Florida plane crash.

It is because the airline is headquartered in Florida. Specifically, Orlando.
Hmm, I see you're right. I just assumed they were based in ATL.

Off-topic here, but when AirTran tried to buy Midwest, everybody here .....ed and moaned but I would of rather have AirTran buy Midwest than Frontier. Oh well.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:40 am

Hoss, doesn't IATA or some government agency assign those codes? How did your favorite airline ever end up with YX? The list is endless, America West was HP.

Knope might be able to shed some light on this mystery.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Indeed, RSVP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_codes-All
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by plagwate
Thanks for doing the research. There appears to be some method to their madness.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by RSVP
Thanks for doing the research. There appears to be some method to their madness.
My pleasure. I'm just seeing if I can reach my 100th post by Labor Day.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by RSVP
doesn't IATA or some government agency assign those codes? How did your favorite airline ever end up with YX? The list is endless, America West was HP.
Right on the money.

Basically, you can choose from what's available when you apply for a IATA code.

Most startup and regional airlines found that the "good" codes were usually taken. WN isn't exactly tied into Southwest as far as I know. YX for Midwest doesn't mean anything either. Occasionally they would find something with an indirect tie-in, like Vanguard Airlines was formed by several former People Express guys from the Newark area, and they were able to get code NJ. The original AirTran getting FL was a stroke of good luck.

At one point the code list was expanded to include codes which start with a number, like 3A or 9N. But those were primarily used by commuters and third-level operations, and so startup airlines avoided those like the plague because “real” airlines had letter codes. That’s why so many airlines which started in the 70’s and 80’s had letter codes which had nothing to do with their name. They took what they could get.

Eventually they started allowing mixed codes with the letter first, and those were (for some reason) much less taboo, and airlines used them. That’s why a later generation of startups often got letter-number codes, like B6 for JetBlue and F9 for Frontier, which at least had a meaningful letter. ValuJet was J7. When ValuJet acquired AirTran and took their name, they also assumed their two-letter code of FL.

For what it’s worth, the FL code was for decades the moniker for…Frontier.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Right on the money.

Basically, you can choose from what's available when you apply for a IATA code.
Somehow, I knew you'd be able to impart some wisdom on us. ^^
Old Sep 4, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Actually the code was picked because it was similar to "FL"orida, as the original Air Tran (part one) was partly owned by Mesaba Holdings when it was trying to diversify its holdings. The formed a certificate in Orlando, Florida and flew 2nd,3rd,4th,and 5th hand Boeing 737-200s out of MCO to second and third tier markets like Bloomington, IL, Toldedo OH, Knoxville TN and focused on the "Mouse". Air Tran also had a codeshare with Delta at the time, providing feed to the Comair flights in and out of Orlando at the time.

(colors look awefully familiar, don't they?)

And regarding the codes, its a bit difficult to pick your own, the coding staff in Montreal handle other departments, and they don't provide you a list of current codes.. you have to "guess" if one is open, and they'll only respond so many times before giving you a horrible code like XX or 8K etc...
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:55 pm

But they could've kept the critter callsign...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.