Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Book an AirTran flight on Southwest.com, Do I pay baggage fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamon Club

I feel this must've been asked before, but I can't find the thread. so i apologise!

I'm looking at booking a one-way US domestic flight and Air Tran is the cheapest option.

If I search for the journey on Southwest.com, it clearly says "operated by AirTran" but also "2 free checked bags". Is this accurate? Seems too good to be true
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:46 am
Suspended

Not sure. Maybe post in the Southwest forum, they may be able to help.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:28 am

As long as you book on Southwest's site, you receive the usual WN benefits, including two free checked bags.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:30 am

The answer is that the if the flight is booked on Southwest there are no bag fees.
If the flight is booked on Airtran and contains a Southwest segment there are no bag fees.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
Thanks all
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The answer is that the if the flight is booked on Southwest there are no bag fees.
If the flight is booked on Airtran and contains a Southwest segment there are no bag fees.
Does this still hold true for a Flight from MEX > Santa Ana > SFO
"4166 Operated by Southwest Airlines" - SW Segment
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:55 am

As far as I know.

This is from the Southwest Website

The Marketing Carrier's fees will apply to all aspects of the travel with one exception. 1st and 2nd checked bag fees will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment (weight and size restrictions still apply).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
http://www.southwest.com/html/genera...icies_faq.html

How will fees be applied if the itinerary includes flights on both airlines?
The Marketing Carrier's fees will apply to all aspects of the travel with one exception. 1st and 2nd checked bag fees will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment (weight and size restrictions still apply).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
I've done this a couple of times and our bags were free. However IF you want to pick a seat on AirTran you will have to pay for it - or have one assigned at the 24 hour point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.