Search

No more XM confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

No more XM confirmed

http://www.ajc.com/business/airtrans...o-1264880.html
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:19 pm

Southwest's chief commercial officer Bob Jordan, who also serves as president of AirTran, told employees in a recorded message Monday that the airline decided to remove the satellite radio service from the AirTran fleet of planes to offer "a consistent product" between Southwest and AirTran.
What a forward-thinking strategy.

An enjoyable enhancement to the flying public gives way to birthright superintendency.

Bold Bob's the right man in the right place.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:34 pm

Thanks Southwest.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:26 pm

Stupid, stupid move.

If they're so bent on a consistent product, they could have expanded XM to Southwest.

Yeah, Bob, why would an airline ever give passengers something to make their trip a little more enjoyable?!?!?!

And, why make this announcement now, when you know you're going to be keeping AirTran as a subsidiary for quite some time to come.

Makes me glad that I have moved a good portion of my travel to other carriers.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
I now know how Lando Calrissian felt when Darth Vader came to the cloud city
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
And, why make this announcement now, when you know you're going to be keeping AirTran as a subsidiary for quite some time to come.
Must have concluded that dismantling amenities one by one over ~120 days is better than yanking off the bandage all at once.

They had lunch over this.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I love Bold Bob's half-assed reasoning that taking satellite radio out of the planes will reduce the weight and fuel capacity.

Yeah, my Honda SUV just drags uncontrollably from the weight of the 3 oz. satellite antenna on my roof.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Southwest, in my opinion YOU SUCK FOR DOING THIS...

I can remember flights sitting in business class, listening to "HAIR NATION" at top volume, drinking my vodka and cranberry; these were some of the best flights I ever had. I can see now that you will slowly WRECK a perfectly good airline!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a sad, sad, day when Southwest bought out Airtran.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I can remember flights sitting in business class, listening to "HAIR NATION" at top volume, drinking my vodka and cranberry; these were some of the best flights I ever had.
I totally agree, though for me it was always "Electric Area" and a Jack-and-Coke.

My next birthday wish is that some other airline will run widebodies with business class between BOS and BWI for my weekly commute.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Southwest, in my opinion YOU SUCK FOR DOING THIS...

I can remember flights sitting in business class, listening to "HAIR NATION" at top volume, drinking my vodka and cranberry; these were some of the best flights I ever had. I can see now that you will slowly WRECK a perfectly good airline!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a sad, sad, day when Southwest bought out Airtran.
Just hope the public's travel funds backs up this sentiment.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Unfortunately, as much as I hate this, I think WN can get away with this. They have been weaning people off of XM by stopping supply of earbuds. So only the diehards listen to it.

I am will be curious if they start jacking up BC upgrades before they eliminate BC so they can get the public turned off upgrades.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:25 am

It looks like XM Radio has already been removed as an inflight amenity from the website.

http://www.airtran.com/inflight_entertainment.aspx

For posterity purposes, here is the press release announcing XM Radio as an inflight amenity:

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 6, 2004--AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AAI), today announced that the airline has selected XM Satellite Radio as the airline's new inflight entertainment system. As the launch airline customer for XM Satellite Radio, AirTran Airways will provide its passengers with the best selection of digital audio entertainment available.

XM Satellite Radio is the industry leader in digital satellite radio and offers listeners up to 100 digital audio channels including live news, sports, weather, talk and music programming. The service will be free for all passengers.

Each one of AirTran Airways' Boeing 717 and 737 aircraft will be equipped to offer the new service at every seat, and the airline will begin installation in the summer of 2004 with all aircraft completed by the end of 2004.

"AirTran Airways is proud to announce the addition of the latest in inflight entertainment technology to the most distinctive low-fare service in the industry, which already includes an affordable business class, all new aircraft and service to 45 destinations across the country," said Joe Leonard, AirTran Airways' chairman and chief executive officer. "From takeoff to touchdown, our passengers will be able to experience everything from hip hop to classical music as well as live news, sports, talk, comedy, kids and entertainment programming onboard. AirTran Airways is excited to partner with an innovative company like XM Satellite Radio."

"AirTran Airways is setting a new standard in air transport, offering new levels of convenience and value to their customers. We are truly excited that AirTran Airways has chosen XM for their live inflight entertainment, providing their passengers the opportunity to experience our outstanding audio content wherever they fly," said Hugh Panero, XM's President and CEO.
I knew the writing was on the wall, when an FA told me earbuds were no longer available...customers need to bring their own.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:12 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
I was only born yesterday but am now wondering if "a consistent product" includes two free checked bags on AirTran?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
You could see this coming 2 months ago when they stopped providing XM channel listings in the magazine.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by djs
I was only born yesterday but am now wondering if "a consistent product" includes two free checked bags on AirTran?
That would make sense, but don't hold your breath.
What I dread as much as the removal of XM is the removal of GoGo inflight internet from every AirTran flight in exchange for Southwest's implementation of inflight internet on a very small percentage of flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.