Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to book longhaul on Air Berlin/LTU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM

Reading quite a few stories this last few days of the very difficult situation Air Berlin is in. Stock is valued at 0 Euro, fears of bankrupcy etc.

Is it safe to book longhaul flights from Europe to Canada/US for September.
It's such a big airline and was doing quite well and it's hard to imagine they would just stop but nowadays in the airline industry everything is possible.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: LH
My unquallified guess: As safe as with other airlines. You could give it a try with TWA, Pan Am, Air Inter, Swissair, Interflug. Or, you should book AlItalia, Olympic, Ryan Air, Easy Jet etc.
It is your risk anyway, the safest thing you can do, is stay at home and come along our Berlin Tempelhof Mini Do. But, maybe Cirrus will have problems until then as well.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chumbawumba
My unquallified guess: As safe as with other airlines. You could give it a try with TWA, Pan Am, Air Inter, Swissair, Interflug. Or, you should book AlItalia, Olympic, Ryan Air, Easy Jet etc.
It is your risk anyway, the safest thing you can do, is stay at home and come along our Berlin Tempelhof Mini Do. But, maybe Cirrus will have problems until then as well.
I should have been more clear with my question. I am aware that anything can happen but was hoping that FT members in Europe have a bigger picture of how things are over there.

It's hard to judge over here in Vancouver. We only get 3 flights a week on Air Berlin/LTU from DUS and yesterday I saw for the first time a B767 in the new Belair colours arriving from Zurich in YVR.
That just made me think.
And today I saw a really good fare for CAN$ 245.oo++ each way YVR-DUS for September.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:40 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
The point is, that a lot of airlines have big finance problems because of the high oil price.

I only heard about AirBerlin/LTU, that they will also cut the routes.

If your flight is in 2 month, it should be OK because now there are a lot of holiday travellers and this earns money.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
IMHO the OP just should make sure that he/she pays using a CC and that the departure date is within the dispute time frame in a case that the carrier stop operating.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I have no real concerns. I have about 20 flights ticketed on AB. The airline is to my humble opionion to big to disappear. Banks and stockholders might loose money, but they will continue to be in the air.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I did book 3 return tickets for September YVR-DUS last week and confirmed it.
Since we are travelling as a family I wanted to reserve seats and called the US call center, very friendly service each time I called.
This is the first time flying with LTU/Air Berlin. Their fare is just unbeatable for that month, CAN$ 245.00 each way ++++. It came out to just under CAN$ 800.00 per person.
LH and AC were more then double with stopovers in Toronto or other cities throughout Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.