Search

Suspension of all OW benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
Suspension of all OW benefits?

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can point me to a policy, but just got off the phone with AB regarding a booking in September, as I wanted to reserve good seats (as a BAEC/OWE)

Was told that due to the insolvency, AB was no longer in the OneWorld alliance and was, therefore, suspending any benefits to elites from other member airlines.

That didn't sound quite right but wanted to see if any FT members have been told the same thing?

Thanks,

EPA
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: LH Sen, OW Sapphire, Skyteam Gold
Not as of yesterday !

I just came back from Hong Kong on BA and had access to Cathays "The Wing" First Class lounge in Hong Kong on Sunday night and the Galleries First Class Lounge of BA in LHR yesterday. I do not believe the information given was correct, at the time being all One World perks should be still valid.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I just came back from Hong Kong on BA and had access to Cathays "The Wing" First Class lounge in Hong Kong on Sunday night and the Galleries First Class Lounge of BA in LHR yesterday. I do not believe the information given was correct, at the time being all One World perks should be still valid.
The question is which entity will CX bill for your lounge visit. I'd assume it'll be BA, because it is the operating airline.

Somehow, I doubt the notion that lounge operators bill the FFPs directly - it's much easier to bill the operating airline.

What I could foresee that OW lounge access will be restricted to OW status passengers, who fly out with on AB metal (e.g. from ORD, JFK).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: M&M *S, HHonors Gold
What is really odd is that my AB frequent flyer details have been removed from upcoming award bookings (Dec, Jan) on CX and QF when using check my trip. I am confident that they were part of the booking details before.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
The question is which entity will CX bill for your lounge visit. I'd assume it'll be BA, because it is the operating airline.

Somehow, I doubt the notion that lounge operators bill the FFPs directly - it's much easier to bill the operating airline.

What I could foresee that OW lounge access will be restricted to OW status passengers, who fly out with on AB metal (e.g. from ORD, JFK).
I agree. I also think, that the operating airline has to pay for the lounge access and not the FFP airline.

But maybe they suspend AB, because AB gave away the status far too easy.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by thbe
I also think, that the operating airline has to pay for the lounge access and not the FFP airline.

But maybe they suspend AB, because AB gave away the status far too easy.
It's certainly not the latter.

The operating carrier is the carrier with the obligation for deciding when/where it provides lounge access per the operating carrier's needs and the requirements placed on it by contractual obligation. BA's obligations to provide lounge access to AB elites with OW Sapphire/Emerald status end with AB's removal from OW.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Confused by replies. The OP is talking about AB refusing OW benefits on AB flights.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Bugger. I was about to make use of some flights to the US and was wondering if I should credit to my EY Plat or BAEC Gold (Emer) card to try and get maximum benefits. Looks like both may be done, and baggage may be the one I am most interested in.

Really hit the wall quickly.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Although this falls in line with what happened with AA during chapter 11. I don‘t understand the differences between them, but AA still served as a full member:

https://www.oneworld.com/news-inform..._col_count%3D7
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
BA's obligations to provide lounge access to AB elites with OW Sapphire/Emerald status end with AB's removal from OW.
But as of now, AB remains part of OW.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One cannot compare one insolvency with another. If, when AB is the operating carrier, it is not able (because the court administering the insolvency) will not permit it to expend funds to pay for lounge access, then those lounges will deny service.

AA was a Chapter 11 proceeding in which it never ceased operating. While that is always a possible for AB, it is not likely.

The more AB spends on frills, the less it will have to operate. An easy decision for a court administering an insolvency or, for that matter, any prudent person.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
But as of now, AB remains part of OW.
Just flew two segments on AB yesterday Ord-txl and txl-vie and It was definitely mentioned in announcements that AB was a OW partner..btw flights were on time and crews were terrific ..hope it's the same on return flights the first week of September.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by expataus
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can point me to a policy, but just got off the phone with AB regarding a booking in September, as I wanted to reserve good seats (as a BAEC/OWE)

Was told that due to the insolvency, AB was no longer in the OneWorld alliance and was, therefore, suspending any benefits to elites from other member airlines.

That didn't sound quite right but wanted to see if any FT members have been told the same thing?

Thanks,

EPA
AB only provides for category B seats for OW elite to begin with. You can obtain that same seat via Qatar manage booking.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
One cannot compare one insolvency with another. If, when AB is the operating carrier, it is not able (because the court administering the insolvency) will not permit it to expend funds to pay for lounge access, then those lounges will deny service.

AA was a Chapter 11 proceeding in which it never ceased operating. While that is always a possible for AB, it is not likely.
Insolvency situations can be compared with one another. For one comparison, AB can't possibly use Chapter 11 like AA -- it's an impossibility for AB.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Insolvency situations can be compared with one another. For one comparison, AB can't possibly use Chapter 11 like AA -- it's an impossibility for AB.
Which, if you read the post underlying mine, is the entire point. AA kept operating under US Chap. 11 and restructured its debt and pension plans, shed a bunch of leases and the like. That never hit its FFP and it also never ultimately interfered with OW or other partner and interline agreements (because it was pretty well known that insolvent as AA may have been, it would restructure).

That isn't the case for AB. At best, it is cannibalized and the routes & aircraft keep flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.