Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

How to get into new business class on previously booked flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I booked an international business class fare from the US through DUS on AB a few months ago. $4,xxx fare in "I" class. The connections within Europe did not have a business class cabin so I was in a front "XL" seat or something like that in coach.

I just received an email that they have added business class to one of my flights, and as a result I will be moved further back in the cabin as part of the reseating process.

I called them and explained that I paid for an "I" fare, and that the fare was business class, but I was seated in coach originally because they didn't offer it. Now that they do offer business class, I would like to be seated there. They were very nasty and rude and said no. They quoted $800 for the change. I asked a supervisor and finally he told me that they would need to reprice the whole fare in "D" basis because one of the other legs is no longer available in "I" - of course I'm taking up a seat in I currently.

The people on the phone were very rude and unhelpful. I didn't try the AB gold number (I have a card but it's at home) so this was just the standard US line, pressing 1 for business class.

Anyway, do you think it's worth it to try again at the gold line? Or any other ideas? Am I totally crazy to think that since I paid for international business class they should seat me in the new biz on the short haul legs?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:18 am

I am not sure yet but it seems they just do not apply their own rules back-dated on existing bookings. A great way to upset all clients and it shows that the whole continental business class project is just a marketing project rather than enhancing the quality. I have booked four flights in Economy class before they erased free food/drink from their service: They also seem not to honour that I have paid for a full service flight and now have additional costs on board. I will try during the flights again and let you know if I have a better than expected experience.
I recommend to call them several times, especially on the gold line, maybe write a formal complaint too. Maybe management becomes aware of the fact that their recent "enhancements" are upsetting almost all passenger segments ... and maybe they become more flexibel and customer-oriented by that. Good luck and please let us know should you be successful.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: BA, IB, LH, U2
We are talking a German company here.
Customer Service, in the sense it is known in Anglo Saxon/Asian companies, or Latin family businesses, is not really understood.
So I would be surprised if you get anywhere.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bagspacked
I booked an international business class fare from the US through DUS on AB a few months ago. $4,xxx fare in "I" class. The connections within Europe did not have a business class cabin so I was in a front "XL" seat or something like that in coach.

I just received an email that they have added business class to one of my flights, and as a result I will be moved further back in the cabin as part of the reseating process.

I called them and explained that I paid for an "I" fare, and that the fare was business class, but I was seated in coach originally because they didn't offer it. Now that they do offer business class, I would like to be seated there. They were very nasty and rude and said no. They quoted $800 for the change. I asked a supervisor and finally he told me that they would need to reprice the whole fare in "D" basis because one of the other legs is no longer available in "I" - of course I'm taking up a seat in I currently.

The people on the phone were very rude and unhelpful. I didn't try the AB gold number (I have a card but it's at home) so this was just the standard US line, pressing 1 for business class.

Anyway, do you think it's worth it to try again at the gold line? Or any other ideas? Am I totally crazy to think that since I paid for international business class they should seat me in the new biz on the short haul legs?
Is there another I available on the flight? If not, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Originally Posted by zsalya_fly
We are talking a German company here.
Customer Service, in the sense it is known in Anglo Saxon/Asian companies, or Latin family businesses, is not really understood.
So I would be surprised if you get anywhere.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.