Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Light -- baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
Economy Light -- baggage?

Anyone has experience with AB "Economy Light" fares? It's hand-luggage only, but does AB give Oneworld Emeralds one checked-in baggage for free?

It seems different airlines simply put in their own interpretations on such hand-luggage only fares: afaik BA doesn't allow free checked-in baggage but S7 apparently does. How's the situation with AB?

Thanks for any feedback
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AB topbonus Gold, IB+
I think there should be no problem. I am topbonus gold (Oneworld Sapphire) and I can bring one baggage up to 23kg in Economy Light fare.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by spanishflyer
I think there should be no problem. I am topbonus gold (Oneworld Sapphire) and I can bring one baggage up to 23kg in Economy Light fare.
As a One-World Sapphire you still can (different from the BA fares)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As a One-World Sapphire you still can (different from the BA fares)
Thanks for the clarification! So OW still has a more or less uniform treatment on this, BA being the only published exception. Simple is beautiful
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
BA being the only published exception.
I would be careful with Iberia and Iberia Express, as well.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
I would be careful with Iberia and Iberia Express, as well.
Is this once again one of your speculations without any evidence? The OW website clearly states:

Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers

As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.)
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
I was just wondering whether anyone who is Oneworld Sapphire (but not through topbonus) can speak from recent experience. I emailed their service team to ask whether Sapphires can check one bag and pick a seat for free even in Economy Light and it took them less than a week to come up with this lengthy reply:

vielen Dank für Ihre E-Mail.

Auf unseren Flügen kann nur unsere Topbonus Card genutzt werden.
Für die Ihnen eventuell entstandenen Unannehmlichkeiten bitten wir um Entschuldigung.

Für weitere Fragen oder Wünsche steht Ihnen unser Team jederzeit gern zur Verfügung.
The gist being that only their topbonus card can be used on airberlin flights and they're sorry for the inconvenience. I'd have accepted this answer if it hadn't been so oddly unspecific – the way it's written ("only our topbonus card can be used on our flights") reads like they didn't even understand my question, because of course you can use the other Oneworld benefits on their flights, I just wanted to know whether that applied to baggage and seat selection as well.

That's why I'd like to ask any non-topbonus Sapphires whether they've had success checking a free bag and picking a seat in Economy Light recently.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Any updates on this?

They state on their Q&A that elite TopBonus members get 23 kg for free on the Economy Light fare - no mention of other OW Elites.

Any Sapphire travelled Economy Light lately?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by skrosvik
Any updates on this?

They state on their Q&A that elite TopBonus members get 23 kg for free on the Economy Light fare - no mention of other OW Elites.

Any Sapphire travelled Economy Light lately?
It's all very confusing. They seem to like to contradict themselves.

When I emailed them, they told me that it only applied to Topbonus members (but didn't seem to understand my question – see above). But then I asked them about it the other day when I called to reserve seats for an upcoming flight and the nice man on the phone assured me that (as Sapphire) I'd be able to check a bag for free and that I shouldn't worry about my booking confirmation stating "0PC" and just present my card at the check-in desk.

The flight's in March and I'm considering trying it out by checking a bag that I can also carry on if they want me to pay for it. If I do, I'll report back.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:36 am

All right, here's an update: I flew ZRH–TXL last night on an Economy Light fare. I didn't have any bags I wanted to check this time, but as I collected my boarding pass I asked the check-in agent if I could and she said yes, thanks to having Sapphire I could check one bag free of charge.

I suppose we have to treat this as just one data point, I'll bet there are agents at some smaller outstations who aren't as familiar with the rules, but it's encouraging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.