Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa in talks with Etihad to buy parts of AB business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa in talks with Etihad to buy parts of AB business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Obviously an asset that is the most valuable asset LH might ever buy: The one and only competitor in the German market.
One and only competitor????

Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
One and only competitor????

Are you aware of any other competitor in the German market? We are talking about any Easyjets or Ryanairs but about the domestic market which is - probably different from the Netherlands with probably no to few domestic flights - massive. AB has eg about 100 domestic flights out and into DUS every day. And these are a PIA for the LH Group.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you don't consider DB a competitor in the domestic market?

TheLocal.de: We'll crush German airlines, boasts Ryanair boss
CAPA: Ryanair, with costs 60% below Lufthansa's, begins an onslaught on domestic Germany
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Even tough DB runs pretty fast, I would not take a train from DUS to TXL or HAM or MUC. The airlines make money with us business people flying in and out the same day on short notice or need to be at a meeting at 9 am. This does not really work when using the train. For DUS to downtown Frankfurt I would not dream about flying but this is a different story.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Ryanair? They brag that they fly 12 airports. Have a look on their website.

Berlin Schönefeld
Bremen
Dortmund
Düsseldorf Weeze
Frankfurt-Hahn
Hamburg
Karlsruhe Baden
Köln
Leipzig-Halle
Memmingen
Stuttgart
Nürnberg

However, you find at the utmost three real airports (Cologne, Hamburg and Stuttgart) on that list and a bunch of tier two so-called airports which survive thanks to taxpayers' subsidies and have no real right to survive. As soon as the EU stops this madness and allows such airports to go bancrupt, Ryanair will face massive problems. Given that U2 appears to be more interesting.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. I didn't realise how sensitive a subject the domestic German aviation market was. Or that Lufthansa even cared about it.

But I guess they have to try to make money somewhere!!

But by removing their brand from that market and forcing their captive market to LCC offerings, they seem to have opened the door to LCC penetration in the German market.

(What's your definition of a "real" airport? Don't "real" people live in the German regions? Or do "real" journeys require you first to travel to a more distant airport? And do "real" Germans not want to travel to Europe, but only to fly domestically? Is the market for domestic flights bigger than the market for European flights?)

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 19, 2016 at 2:26 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport like Memmingen, Frankfurt-Hahn or Duesseldorf-Weeze are in the middle of nowhere and do only exist because they receive subsidies and they allow in particular Ryanair to use the facilities for small to no money. There is no real need for such airports, they would not exist.

Germany has quite a few real airports. I live in Duesseldorf and have three of these within a 70 minutes train ride, DUS, FRA and CGN. There is actual no need for airports burning money like Paderborn, Münster, Weeze or Dortmund - all in the same region.

Nuernberg probably exists because Siemens has its headquarter there, Bremen exists because Bremen is an independent state. Leipzig might loose even more traffic when BER ones becomes operative, it is less than one hour from the big place.

When talking about the domestic market. I have no figures available but I think DUS has 15 to 20 or so daily services each to MUC and TXL and probably half of this to HAM, STR and FRA. Given that there is quite a market on these main lines in Germany.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Interesting read from Raffles on HFP this morning

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/09...rcraft-routes/
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors
NUE not only serves siemens... keep in mind Adidas/PUMA/Reebok, Faber Castell , Staedler, GFK and Playmobil all have their HQ on the outskirts of Nürnberg. also Bosch, Continental, MAN and others as well. so its quite busy. but I do agree germany can do well without so many airports.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Airport like Memmingen, Frankfurt-Hahn or Duesseldorf-Weeze are in the middle of nowhere and do only exist because they receive subsidies and they allow in particular Ryanair to use the facilities for small to no money. There is no real need for such airports, they would not exist.

Germany has quite a few real airports. I live in Duesseldorf and have three of these within a 70 minutes train ride, DUS, FRA and CGN. There is actual no need for airports burning money like Paderborn, Münster, Weeze or Dortmund - all in the same region.

Nuernberg probably exists because Siemens has its headquarter there, Bremen exists because Bremen is an independent state. Leipzig might loose even more traffic when BER ones becomes operative, it is less than one hour from the big place.

When talking about the domestic market. I have no figures available but I think DUS has 15 to 20 or so daily services each to MUC and TXL and probably half of this to HAM, STR and FRA. Given that there is quite a market on these main lines in Germany.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Interesting read from Raffles on HFP this morning

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/09...rcraft-routes/
I'm not sure if he's just picked up on this story a lot later than the rest of us, or if he knows something new.

It would be very bad news if Eurowings take over these routes. No lounge access!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
It would be very bad news if Eurowings take over these routes. No lounge access!
They will need to trim all those unnecessary costs to make a profit!!!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:37 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
German newspaper Handelsblatt had some newsbits the last days. I understand that talks between LH and AB are near a deal. 40 AB planes and lots of AB staff and pilots are to change over to EW and the rebranding/rescheduling might take effect as soon as Nov 1st 2016.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I can see, it's only a wet leasing deal. They are not "buying" anything - just "renting".
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
LH hugs AB in order to try to keep at bay those Ryanair-like airlines of the world from becoming a major force in LH's home market.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors
Exactly... they are already suffering with Middle eastern airlines internationally. they are protecting AB from going under or being dumped by their overlords Etihad which would turn into open season for other low budget airlines like ryanair etc.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
LH hugs AB in order to try to keep at bay those Ryanair-like airlines of the world from becoming a major force in LH's home market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.