Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB Announces S16 Long-Haul Expansion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

AB is planning on starting DUS-BOS/DFW/SFO/HAV next summer. 4x weekly for BOS and DFW, up to 5x weekly to SFO. Nice to see some additional oneworld options to Germany -- hopefully AB can make it work with AA's feed, especially at DFW.

http://ir.airberlin.com/en/press/pre...-summer-season
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Nice to see some additional oneworld options to Germany -- hopefully AB can make it work with AA's feed, especially at DFW.
Perhaps sign a deal with JetBlue at BOS for feed.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
This is great news as I am wanting to use some AA points to fly to Europe next summer and I haven't been able to find any availability. When do you think these will go on the schedule so I can secure some seats?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Perhaps sign a deal with JetBlue at BOS for feed.
I would have thought Ab would have chosen another One World Hub such as PHL instead of code sharing with Jetblue. But Maybe they are looking to defend their turf against Eurowings proposed service.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cltfc
I would have thought Ab would have chosen another One World Hub such as PHL instead of code sharing with Jetblue. But Maybe they are looking to defend their turf against Eurowings proposed service.
AA already offers PHL-FRA/MUC, and BOS has slightly higher PDEW numbers with no alliance partners serving it, so I'm not sure that PHL would be the better alternative. I'm sure AB is looking to capture higher-yielding O&D traffic where possible, which makes sense with destinations like BOS and SFO, and rely on massive feed at DFW from places that will require a connection anyway.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Any thoughts on the press release on the 40 XL seats?

Are they referring to 40 new XL seats across the fleet (due to refitting their Econ only 330s to two cabin) or refitting each plane to have 40 XL seats (eg ala AA Main Cabin Extra section)? Would be great if it was the later and even better if they offer it free to OW elite which AA currently does.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is good new for folks holding AA or Avios points. More no fuel surcharge transatlantic flying is a good thing.

That said, there's still no evidence that Air Berlin is "a business." I'm not sure what they actually bring to the table, and I'm not certain that these routes make any business sense. I don't think they'd even exist with Mideast dollars propping them up.

But, heck, if it gets me to Europe in coach for 20K points, I'm happy.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by iahphx
This is good new for folks holding AA or Avios points. More no fuel surcharge transatlantic flying is a good thing.

That said, there's still no evidence that Air Berlin is "a business." I'm not sure what they actually bring to the table, and I'm not certain that these routes make any business sense. I don't think they'd even exist with Mideast dollars propping them up.

But, heck, if it gets me to Europe in coach for 20K points, I'm happy.
They're running an airline. When has that ever had anything to do with business sense?

Mike
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf

Are they referring to 40 new XL seats across the fleet (due to refitting their Econ only 330s to two cabin) or refitting each plane to have 40 XL seats (eg ala AA Main Cabin Extra section)? Would be great if it was the later and even better if they offer it free to OW elite which AA currently does.
I read it as the latter. The German version of the press release describes it as a "product offensive", so sounds like they want to make a push to offer an ever-so-slightly more premium product.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by linglingfool
I read it as the latter. The German version of the press release describes it as a "product offensive", so sounds like they want to make a push to offer an ever-so-slightly more premium product.
Hope so. That would make 46 seats in total per aircraft and I'm guessing the rows 15-19 would be converted to XL.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Love this!

More ways to skip LHR ^
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

I believe they are taking out 1 row of Y seats between doors 2 and 3. And creating 5 rows of XL seats a la E+/MCE/Comfort Plus.

While I'm not surprised about SFO or BOS, I am somewhat surprised with DFW.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:41 am
Original Member

Airport checkin informs me that they already have aircraft configured with the new XL section. Aircraft with the reconfigured cabin will have first section of economy ending row 33 instead of 34. Essentially one row of Econ was removed. XL section goes up to row 19. Row 20 is economy. They are actively enforcing but also "upgraded" several passenger to XL. Flight is not full. So not sure what criteria they are using to "upgrade."

OW elite have to pay. I suggest American AAdvantage members should write to AA and AB to communicate displeasure at how AA offers complimentary MCE to AirBerlin OWE/OWS but airBerlin is not reciprocating.

Update. It appears they might have done comp in-flight upgrade for OWE. One passenger had a BA Gold (OWE) tag on her carry on.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 22, 2015 at 3:03 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Airport checkin informs me that they already have aircraft configured with the new XL section. Aircraft with the reconfigured cabin will have first section of economy ending row 33 instead of 34. Essentially one row of Econ was removed. XL section goes up to row 19. Row 20 is economy. They are actively enforcing but also "upgraded" several passenger to XL. Flight is not full. So not sure what criteria they are using to "upgrade."

OW elite have to pay. I suggest American AAdvantage members should write to AA and AB to communicate displeasure at how AA offers complimentary MCE to AirBerlin OWE/OWS but airBerlin is not reciprocating.

Update. It appears they might have done comp in-flight upgrade for OWE. One passenger had a BA Gold (OWE) tag on her carry on.
I have not had the pleasure of ever getting MCE on AA or US with AB Gold (OW Sapphire). Is this something you need to call in for?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:26 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Gus2013
I have not had the pleasure of ever getting MCE on AA or US with AB Gold (OW Sapphire). Is this something you need to call in for?
Is your number on the reservation?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCab...maincabinextra

Elite member access
Main Cabin Extra seats are complimentary* for:

AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members
oneworldŽ Sapphire and oneworld Emerald members
Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld Ruby members** may:
Purchase Main Cabin Extra seats for 50% off or
Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.