Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TXL-ORD in Y...how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:26 am
Original Poster

TXL-ORD in Y...how bad is it?

I've been searching around to find out what the AB experience in Y is like on the TXL-ORD route, and found some pretty negative reviews. The reviews I found are all pretty old and I think they've done a refurb since then. So...what's Y like on the TXL-ORD route?

Please redirect me if I've missed an obvious sticky post or something about this very topic!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, LH FTL, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Carlson Gold
it's fine...

I flew last about a year ago, so a bit dated, but not that long ago. It is 2-4-2 in most of economy. the seats feel similar space wise to the LH Y seats (a bit wider and a bit less pitch I think). If you are traveling with someone the sides are good. Beware that in the way back the seats switch to 2-3-2 and the row where the switch occurs is therefore not aligned making it more uncomfortable. The IFE is OK - and you should be fine finding something to pass the time. I do have a hard time sleeping on the return, but that might just be me.

In terms of service, I have never been blown away by it, but also haven't found it rude/ offensive.

In the end, when I have flown they have always been cheaper than LH, so for the right price I wouldn't mind. Also, depending on timing, they sometimes have low load factors allowing you to spread out a bit more...
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Flew them this past June using award tickets with American. The new seats are a good, but not great product, as seats are flat when fully reclined but are hard and narrow (18 inches). Personally though, we were very pleased and this is a big upgrade from what they use to offer. As long as I can lie flat I can get some sleep in. The service and food on our flight was wonderful and we left and arrived on time. Our plane had a 1-2-1 configuration. Every other row had the 2 middle seats right next to each other. They call these the 'honeymoon seats' as you can't help but be touching the person next to you the way they are laid out as nothing separates them. DO NOT get one of these seats if you are a solo traveler, unless you love being touched by a stranger. Even my spouse and I didn't choose them as we didn't want to keep bumping into each other. Every other single side seat is either next to the window or on the aisle, so we chose a single side seat on the aisle and a middle seat that was also on the aisle which allowed us to talk to each other yet gave us our single space. Get on Seat Guru for a better visual explanation.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am glad to read this information as I have a flight in J coming up in November, namely JFK-DUS. I did book the honeymoon seats for my partner and myself.

Just wanted to point out that the OP was looking for some feedback in Y class, that is to say, economy class.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smikolay
it's fine...

I flew last about a year ago, so a bit dated, but not that long ago. It is 2-4-2 in most of economy. the seats feel similar space wise to the LH Y seats (a bit wider and a bit less pitch I think). If you are traveling with someone the sides are good. Beware that in the way back the seats switch to 2-3-2 and the row where the switch occurs is therefore not aligned making it more uncomfortable. The IFE is OK - and you should be fine finding something to pass the time. I do have a hard time sleeping on the return, but that might just be me.

In terms of service, I have never been blown away by it, but also haven't found it rude/ offensive.

In the end, when I have flown they have always been cheaper than LH, so for the right price I wouldn't mind. Also, depending on timing, they sometimes have low load factors allowing you to spread out a bit more...
Thanks for the info. I had gotten the impression that this was more like Ryan Air than a "real" airline, but this doesn't sound too bad. I'll be traveling solo, any seat suggestions?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, LH FTL, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Carlson Gold
i would say long haul they are as real an airline as anyone out there - also considering that AA flys the 767 ORD - DUS where I think there are still screens hanging from the ceiling instead of in seat...

intra-europe one could argue that they are positioned lower cost than the legacies, but even then they serve drinks (meal for purchase) and the seats recline a bit - so better than easyjet and ryanair

i'll let someone else chime in with seat recommendations, as I haven't been solo on here (and usually go for the outside 2). I'm also not sure what their default for seat allocation in (front to back?). From my recollection there are no "better" seats, but as mentioned I would avoid the misaligned seats in the back and the seats at the back of the cabins (if recline is important to you)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the info; you've put my mind at ease. I don't mind budget airlines for inter-Europe trips, but wasn't keen to do one for a long haul. I think I'm going to go ahead and book it!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
They do offer basic free catering on European flights along with the drinks, which I find enough on all but the longest flights. You have the option to purchase more or preorder a meal, which is a really great balance: simply, you are offered something included in the price, if you want more then you pay for it. I don't understand why other airlines don't adopt this model.

Having said that, I did order one of the meals on a short flight this year (had no time for lunch otherwise) for EUR10.90 and it really wasn't great.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by giblet
So...what's Y like on the TXL-ORD route?
To answer that question - this largely depends on how tall you are.
The biggest gripe I have with their A330 Y product is subpar legroom: The standard seats have only 30 inches of pitch. Intolerable for long-legged me, and the #1 reason for the bad reviews. This did not change with the cabin refurbishment, despite AB using slimline seats to ameliorate the situation somewhat.
However, they are in the process of following the US carriers and their MCE/E+/E comfort offerings by removing one row of economy to create a 40-seat extra-legroom section in the first five rows with six inches more legroom. This is marketed and priced like the current "XL" exit seats at 80 Euros one way and available free of charge to topbonus Gold/Platinum members (and, theoretically, other OW Sapphire/Emerald members, but YMMV with that). This is available systemwide from Dec.1.

Other than that, as mentioned by others already, the experience is much like other European carriers.
The 2-4-2 layout is standard and not cramped. The seats are comfortable and not overly hard as most slimline offerings, with lumbar support and multi-adjustable headrests. There's an AVOD IFE (made by IMS) with an 9" seatback screen - current technology, and decent content selection. Also USB power at every seat.
The food, while nothing spectacular, is definitely edible. There's free alcohol including spirits and decent wines. In general, service and soft product are on par with the likes of LH and BA.

You also may get sat-based internet. They are currently fitting it to their fleet, although believe the only longhaul route it currently is available is the one to AUH. Pricey (EUR 4 for 30 minutes to EUR 19 for the duration of the flight) and with very restrictive data limits (120 MB for the whole flight!).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I've flown AB TATL several times in Y. I actually like it. And I think they have the best Y breakfast out there (although that wouldn't apply to your westbound flight). You get a small amenity kit. The seat pitch seems the same as LH Y. The AVOD is fine, but not great, as the selections seem a little limited IMO. I have no hesitations to fly with them. And they seem to be great with the release of award inventory. In fact, if it wasn't for AA's MCE seating, I'd pick AB over AA for my TATL flying any time.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:06 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I think AB is pretty OK. The meal order for ORD flights is that cold snack is served first (it is 9.15 am departure) and hot meal 2 hours prior to arrival.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Sounds decent enough for me (I'm not too tall). I booked with an AA Award ticket so I don't think I can get a seat reservation, but hopefully won't end up in a middle seat. I may be able to pay for a seat. Are the XL ones worth the cost?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Originally Posted by giblet
Sounds decent enough for me (I'm not too tall). I booked with an AA Award ticket so I don't think I can get a seat reservation, but hopefully won't end up in a middle seat. I may be able to pay for a seat. Are the XL ones worth the cost?
If you are in a plane with "old" XL seats (i.e. not the new first 6 rows setup), then the XL seat by the window is probably not worth it because the emergency slide bump in the bottom of the door collides with your leg room. The aisle is good, especially in the first row of the plane.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I recently flew TXL-JFK return and the experience was not too bad at all. I am AB Gold thanks to their status much program so I was able to fill up in the lounge before hand (if you're a big eater the meal servings may be a little small) and I was able to choose exit row seats. This was important to me as I'm 6'4" (192cms). Everything else was unexceptional - good or bad.

I would definitely fly with them again.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Overall Y long haul service is not bad except for the lack of legroom. Meal service miles ahead of AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.